Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,072 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
DK-EBS-CC $43.95 S&H is $9.40.

Dennis Kirk also has a couple listed...

18-2806 (Kuryakyn) $51.99 (pg 697)

H30-083 (Golan Prod.) $41.99 (pg 699) (This looks the same as the DK)
Thank you.. Just ordered it.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:23 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
On my HD high flow it does not run through the filter, connects to the back plate then drops into the intake opening, everything is inside of the filter, no way to kink the tubes on my kit, or I don't see how you could anyway. Thanks for the suggestioin and input though.
So me being stupid, I just installed my SE air cleaner and noticed the tubes run right back into the air intake manifold as well. So what happens to oil that gets blown right back into the air intake? how does this not cause the bike to run a little funny? Seems like any liquid substance being drawn in with air would be a little bad.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM
djs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in air cleaner

This is not my first harley. Had a2015 streetglide and a 2007 roadking.both bikes i ran oil at full mark and no oil usage. This m8 is the first with this problem. Low tension rings scare me. I had a 502 chevy crate motor with low tension rings and it used alot of oil . Djs

Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djs
This is not my first harley. Had a2015 streetglide and a 2007 roadking.both bikes i ran oil at full mark and no oil usage. This m8 is the first with this problem. Low tension rings scare me. I had a 502 chevy crate motor with low tension rings and it used alot of oil . Djs
LT rings can cause issues,no doubt. I don't know if they use them in the M8. If they do or do not have gas ports ( I doubt it) for the rings also weighs in.But one thing to consider is, each of the M8' cylinders are about the bore and stroke of a BB Chevy. But yet look how small the crankcase is on the M8. A BB has the entire area in the valley, the oil pan, timing cover, and crank area.The constant change in crankcase pressure has to cause problems. I'm no HD expert by any stretch, but I'm guessing the more displacement with the same size cases, the greater the issue of pressure too.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do Metric V twins have a problem with oil in the air filter too? I'm close to buying a M 8 and was talking to the shop manager and he claims all the problems he has seen are on the stage one on up.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2002
Do Metric V twins have a problem with oil in the air filter too? I'm close to buying a M 8 and was talking to the shop manager and he claims all the problems he has seen are on the stage one on up.
My old honda aero didnt have any issues engine wise. Couldn't keep "chrome" parts from rusting every single year. And that was keeping it covered and under a carport.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 AM
djs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level

Instead of having oil level full hot i now check oil level cold. It seems to vary alot hot but is consistant cold. If i keep the level midway on dipstick cold the hot level will be from 2 to 4 dots below full on dipstick. At these levels i have very little oil if any in air cleaner. I have been checking this regular. I cleaned up the insie of aircleaner and throttle body and went for a 100 mile ride and ran hard. 80 mph on freeway and redlining it. Took air cleaner off and no oil anywhere and exhaust pipes were clean. I always liked to run oil level at full mark hot but on the m8 it seems if you do it just keeps going into the air cleaner. Guess i have to get used to it. Bike has 5000 miles on it. Just sharing my experince. Seems midway on dipstick cold was the answer and not worry about the hot level.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,363 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
Instead of having oil level full hot i now check oil level cold. It seems to vary alot hot but is consistant cold. If i keep the level midway on dipstick cold the hot level will be from 2 to 4 dots below full on dipstick. At these levels i have very little oil if any in air cleaner. I have been checking this regular. I cleaned up the insie of aircleaner and throttle body and went for a 100 mile ride and ran hard. 80 mph on freeway and redlining it. Took air cleaner off and no oil anywhere and exhaust pipes were clean. I always liked to run oil level at full mark hot but on the m8 it seems if you do it just keeps going into the air cleaner. Guess i have to get used to it. Bike has 5000 miles on it. Just sharing my experince. Seems midway on dipstick cold was the answer and not worry about the hot level.
either way you check, hot or cold, think consistent check procedure is important..shutting it down immediately or letting it idle on the jiffy for a minute or two can provide different readings if you are going back and forth on these

Old 05-11-2018, 11:10 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Along the same lines, after about 1,000 miles I checked my home made catch can and had a little over half an and ounce of mainly water. Not enough oil content to feel slippery between fingers.
That's with the level set 3/4 full hot.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,363 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Along the same lines, after about 1,000 miles I checked my home made catch can and had a little over half an and ounce of mainly water. Not enough oil content to feel slippery between fingers.
That's with the level set 3/4 full hot.
that water could have been used to burn carbon off the pistons!!! LOL

Quick Reply: oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide