Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

I rerouted mine to a DK Customs catch can. My oil shows 3/4 on a digital dipstick when hot, and here's what was in the can after a few hundred miles...

Attached Thumbnails oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide-img_2070.jpg   oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide-img_2072.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by FurryOne:
DK Custom (05-11-2018), stixvrad (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,072 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
great idea..would poking some holes in the top part of the container for ventilation be a good idea? curious to how quickly it typically fills up..and this is probably going to sound like a real stretch..but think part of the airbox design and effectiveness is to have the incoming charge of air swirl around and that blocks some of the effect...would think that little restrictive air filter element needs all the help it can get..just a thought
Thanks.. You make some good points. It's hard to see but yes , there are holes poked into the cap. The flow of the air though, yes, no denying that the bottle would mess it up.I figure I'll monitor mileage and performance and if that's all good, should be ok. I like that its contained in the box so I don't have any holes in the box for routing lines externally. The bottle actually "snaps" into place., Like its made for this,LOL.. If I sense any issues I may swap to a Visine bottle. That's much smaller.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I rerouted mine to a DK Customs catch can. My oil shows 3/4 on a digital dipstick when hot, and here's what was in the can after a few hundred miles...
Thats perfect ! I dug through my garage looking for something like that.. Got sick of looking though. Do you remember the part number for that?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blacktop37
is that easy to reverse if you go in for warranty issues? I like the stealth look.If the end of the hose gets into oil does it matter? is the air mist in and out or just out? Thanks for your advise
Yeah, 2 minutes.. The bottle is held in place on its own so all I have to do is pull the hose off the "T" that connects the two separate hoses and slap the factory curved hose back on.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
I am running oil level at half way mark on dipstick and i still get oil in air cleaner and oil level goes down because of this. I am going to bring bike into dealer for this and was wondering what they will do to to determine the cause and what would be the fixes. And if oil level is correct at half way mark why don't they make that the full mark. I feel you should be able to keep oil at full mark and no problem with oil in air cleaner. Thanks
With the oil truly hot you shouldn't have to run it low to prevent oil being pushed into the air filter. Don't believe the BS that all Harley's do that. They don't. I've had 1 Shovel, 2 Evo's and 3 TwinCams and my current M8 is the only Harley that pushed significant liquid into the air filter. My bike is doing the same thing as yours. Don't modify a damn thing just take it back as many times as it takes until they make it right.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
With the oil truly hot you shouldn't have to run it low to prevent oil being pushed into the air filter. Don't believe the BS that all Harley's do that. They don't. I've had 1 Shovel, 2 Evo's and 3 TwinCams and my current M8 is the only Harley that pushed significant liquid into the air filter. My bike is doing the same thing as yours. Don't modify a damn thing just take it back as many times as it takes until they make it right.
And what would they do to make it right?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I've had 1 shovel,1 EVO and 4 Twincam and the M8 and My 2014 don't puke oil out of the filter.I'm thinking it has more to do with the way the engine "breaks in".Rings don't seat right,more blow by,more oil in A/C. JMO

Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
And what would they do to make it right?
That's a fair question. In my case after 6 shop visits that included a new engine the bike's going to be replaced. IMHO Harley still doesn't completely understand a handful of issues select bikes are having. Sumping, oil in the air filter and transferring transmission lube into the primary.

B&SCycle (06-25-2020)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA VIC
That's a fair question. In my case after 6 shop visits that included a new engine the bike's going to be replaced. IMHO Harley still doesn't completely understand a handful of issues select bikes are having. Sumping, oil in the air filter and transferring transmission lube into the primary.
Hopefully the replacement bike will have a motor that addresses the issues. Otherwise your still wiping the oil off its nose once in a while and at least have the transfer issue. Hope all goes well ! Let us know.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Thats perfect ! I dug through my garage looking for something like that.. Got sick of looking though. Do you remember the part number for that?
DK-EBS-CC $43.95 S&H is $9.40.

Dennis Kirk also has a couple listed...

18-2806 (Kuryakyn) $51.99 (pg 697)

H30-083 (Golan Prod.) $41.99 (pg 699) (This looks the same as the DK)

stixvrad (07-31-2017)

Quick Reply: oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide