Sponsored by:

2018 Street Glide Special?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017 | 10:45 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Idaho, all valid points. Its a no brainer, the Yamaha has more standard features and probably costs less. I bet it is a great touring bike. That being said, Id rather have my Harley Ultra Limited. It has soul and I really really love it. It is like riding a work of art, a piece of Americana. It is timeless and during the winter, when the snow is falling and Its cold as heck outside, I find myself sipping on a nice bourbon and staring at it....... I dont think the Yamaha would give me the same satisfaction. A brand new corvette is a modern work of art, it looks amazing, but a 57 corvette has soul...... You know what I mean....
Oh, I know exactly what you mean, and I agree 100%.

The BMW R1200RT is also on my list. I was talking to a riding buddy about it, and I said that it is superior to the Harley in every single respect, except one:

The feelings I have when I walk out into the garage late at night, in my jammies, and look at my Harley. Sigh. I will never, ever, have those same feelings looking at a BMW or a Honda or a Yamaha.

That's what I have to decide; am I willing to give up those feelings for superiority in every other aspect of the bike. Dunno yet. Struggling with it.

The following 4 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
load97 (07-26-2017), MarantzManiac (07-26-2017), TomcatCV62 (08-03-2017), WildX (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017 | 11:27 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

A few times I've looked at Victory's (I'm Polaris fan since being a kid) the Indian Chieftain Elite (fancy red paint scheme), or the Dark Horse model, and the short lived Ducatti Diavel tourer (short lived/didn't sell well I guess), & I end up back at HD still. My wife who usually doesn't care much about what I/we/anyone has, puts up a huge stink if I (only me lol) start eyeballing another brand besides HD, as if it was another woman LOL.

The gas tank on the Kawi is like paper thin, seem so cheap when I tap on it. It also has exposed tank welds at the bottom that just make it look cheap. The stock foot pegs are HUGE. The Kawi is an 07' with 4k miles on it, ridden in almost always sunny days (no protection on it), stored in the heated garage, yet the flipping mirrors and the metal hand controls have rust buildup on them! (which will happen eventually to everything). The engine, trans & suspension are pretty nice though.

If the imports want to get serious they will have to evaluate some of those things and more. They, including Indian (now defunct Victory), need to step up having dealerships in key areas, as well as more of them. When a person breaks down on a Harley, there is usually a dealership not super far away, and it's not unheard of that the dealership has a truck and trailer that will go pick up someone broken down 50-60 miles away. Now we all know we pay for it, with very little deals on parts, bikes and clothing, but that is what separates it from the pack. Kinda loosely like an Apple & the iPhone.

Old 07-26-2017 | 11:38 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

The BMW R1200RT is also on my list. I was talking to a riding buddy about it, and I said that it is superior to the Harley in every single respect, except one:

The feelings I have when I walk out into the garage late at night, in my jammies, and look at my Harley. Sigh. I will never, ever, have those same feelings looking at a BMW or a Honda or a Yamaha.

That's what I have to decide; am I willing to give up those feelings for superiority in every other aspect of the bike. Dunno yet. Struggling with it.
My first motorcycle was a Fatboy followed by two Street Glides. I loved them all and couldn't keep my hands off of any of them. Even though I knew other bikes came stock with many of the expensive motor upgrades and accessories I was adding to my bikes, I really enjoyed the process and felt a strong emotional attachment to my Harley's. In 2012 I rode a Kawasaki Concours and was blown away by the performance and precision of that bike. I went full sport touring along with many other sport bikes, (Triumph Street Triple, Kawasaki ZX-14R, Honda CBR1000RR), along with two BMW S1000RR's, one of which I still own. My last touring bike was a BMW K1600GT. I rode that bike for 5 years and really enjoyed it; precision, power, suspension, comfort, everything...except for all its greatness, I never looked over my shoulder to look at it as I walked away. I rarely if ever got a thumbs up at a stop light from an admiring bike aficionados or kid. I never felt the kind of freedom while riding that the Harley provides. The truth is, I can't even really explain what I find so appealing about riding Harley's.
When I'm asked by my sports bike buddies I have to use the dreaded "if you have to ask...." I'm back on a 17 RGS and while I would have liked to have kept the K1600GT along side the Harley, it made no sense. I have not missed the BMW and I thought I might. I do still have the S1000RR for those other needs and think that is probably the answer for me...at least two bikes. But I'm back to gazing at my Harley every time I pass it in the garage. I don't see that changing.

The following users liked this post:
henryg (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017 | 08:43 PM
prowler58
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
My first motorcycle was a Fatboy followed by two Street Glides. I loved them all and couldn't keep my hands off of any of them. Even though I knew other bikes came stock with many of the expensive motor upgrades and accessories I was adding to my bikes, I really enjoyed the process and felt a strong emotional attachment to my Harley's. In 2012 I rode a Kawasaki Concours and was blown away by the performance and precision of that bike. I went full sport touring along with many other sport bikes, (Triumph Street Triple, Kawasaki ZX-14R, Honda CBR1000RR), along with two BMW S1000RR's, one of which I still own. My last touring bike was a BMW K1600GT. I rode that bike for 5 years and really enjoyed it; precision, power, suspension, comfort, everything...except for all its greatness, I never looked over my shoulder to look at it as I walked away. I rarely if ever got a thumbs up at a stop light from an admiring bike aficionados or kid. I never felt the kind of freedom while riding that the Harley provides. The truth is, I can't even really explain what I find so appealing about riding Harley's.
When I'm asked by my sports bike buddies I have to use the dreaded "if you have to ask...." I'm back on a 17 RGS and while I would have liked to have kept the K1600GT along side the Harley, it made no sense. I have not missed the BMW and I thought I might. I do still have the S1000RR for those other needs and think that is probably the answer for me...at least two bikes. But I'm back to gazing at my Harley every time I pass it in the garage. I don't see that changing.
Well Put, that's what keeps Me with Harley too. Just A Special feeling I have for my Harley's . I'm 58 , starting Riding at 14 on a Kaw 125, then a Kaw 250, then a Kaw 450, then a 1980 Kaw 1000 LTD, my First New Bike, had several Dirtbikes too but I was hooked on street bikes after that. Got my first Harley in 1994, a beater SPORTSTER, at that time I had that & 3 dirt bikes. . Got a New Fatboy in 1999, sold it for More than I paid for it in 2002 & I ordered a 2003 100th ANN. Fatboy . That was , still my Most Fav bike ever. Traded it for my current 2012 SG. Which is great , but not like that 100th Fatboy, wish I still had it, that Bike felt like my Buddy. I Babied that Fatboy, only the Best add ons. It Never Failed, Never had an Issue. I hope I'll have That feeling on my Next Bike, maybe a Limited.

Last edited by prowler58; 07-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2017 | 03:06 AM
WildX
Cruiser

SO true man, SO true

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017 | 07:26 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Having owned a 15 R1200RT it certainly is a game above in touring from either Harley or Indian. The issues I have with BMW stem mostly from seat height; inseam challenged is my problem which means if I get nervous in bad parking conditions I lose interest in the bike. The other of course being that they are wrapped up in fairing and if you are into chrome and seeing the workings its not the bike for you.

that out of the way, its a joke to have to buy a CVO to get TPMS. Harley needs to up the feature list fast. Too much of what they are missing aren't big ticket items, they are quality of life stuff all touring models should have.

Old 07-28-2017 | 08:28 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Ya, I hear that the 2018 test bikes they are running around in are shooting primary oil back to the transmissions.
This is happening on the 2017's, Mines in the shop for this exact reason.

Old 08-03-2017 | 06:07 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Beerbar
This is happening on the 2017's, Mines in the shop for this exact reason.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it was tranny oil migrating to the primary..... it's really a shame, my M8 is a fantastic bike.

Old 08-14-2017 | 10:40 PM
Hammer 1
Advanced

The dealers have order sheets that show what they are getting in a few weeks. The 2018 SGS will have a 15 spoke wheel. I saw the order sheet . That's all I know

Old 08-14-2017 | 10:51 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master

"It Is What It Is" Harley Fu**king Davidson you either get it or you don't....

Quick Reply: 2018 Street Glide Special?