Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a M8 motor fit in a Softail frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:10 PM
BLKDLX
|
Cruiser
Default Can a M8 motor fit in a Softail frame?

I had a sales person at a local dealer tell me the M8 cannot fit in a Softail frame. Does anyone know?
Thx

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I would be shocked if it did. Does the softail frame have a transmission in it? No way the two would mate up.

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
I had a sales person at a local dealer tell me the M8 cannot fit in a Softail frame. Does anyone know?
Thx
we may find out for sure in a month...it appears they'll have to do something about the TC's not being EPA compliant across the platform before long

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:20 PM
BLKDLX
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I would be shocked if it did. Does the softail frame have a transmission in it? No way the two would mate up.
That said, not much of a chance to softail will see a M8 in 2018. I was hoping the Heritage would see the M8 in 2018.

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:25 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
That said, not much of a chance to softail will see a M8 in 2018. I was hoping the Heritage would see the M8 in 2018.
I was thinking of a bolt-in replacement, I would imagine that it wouldnt be difficult for them to make small design changes in the softail frame to accommodate an M8, in fact I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do.

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:37 PM
BLKDLX
|
Cruiser

I was thinking of a bolt-in replacement, I would imagine that it wouldnt be difficult for them to make small design changes in the softail frame to accommodate an M8, in fact I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do.
well I know nobody knows for sure, what would you bet? Do you think the softail will see the M8 in 2018?

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Probably sooner rather than later. It's the new engine design, it will go into softails and dynas for sure

Old 07-17-2017 | 11:59 PM
BLKDLX
|
Cruiser

Probably sooner rather than later. It's the new engine design, it will go into softails and dynas for sure
most of the dealers around here, at least the three I've talked, think the Dyna will go away. They don't think Harley will keep three frames going forward.

Last edited by BLKDLX; 07-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2017 | 07:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

old news but they'll not be sitting still for sure

CEO: 50 New Models Coming From Harley-Davidson
According to a story in the Milwaukee Business Journal (which, to give credit where it's due, was first picked up by Motorcycle.com), Harley-Davidson plans to introduce 50 new motorcycles during the next five years.

“The success we saw with the launch of the Milwaukee-Eight engine is a sign of the innovation we have in place,” said CEO Matt Levatich. “We are confident our 2018 line will also help sales. I have never been more excited about the products in our pipeline.”

Old 07-19-2017 | 06:54 PM
BLKDLX
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mjwebb
old news but they'll not be sitting still for sure

CEO: 50 New Models Coming From Harley-Davidson
According to a story in the Milwaukee Business Journal (which, to give credit where it's due, was first picked up by Motorcycle.com), Harley-Davidson plans to introduce 50 new motorcycles during the next five years.

“The success we saw with the launch of the Milwaukee-Eight engine is a sign of the innovation we have in place,” said CEO Matt Levatich. “We are confident our 2018 line will also help sales. I have never been more excited about the products in our pipeline.”
I wonder if they still feel the same about that statement with all the problems they are having with this motor? I realize there are a lot of people with no issues, but there are far too many that are experiencing issues especially with the oil migration. Part of me is hoping for M8 in the softails, and part of me is hoping they leave the twin cam alone. I really don't think you'll see it in the 2018 Softail because obviously it will not fit in the frame, and if they have to make any adjustments at all there has to be a patent, and one is not been applied for from what I can find out.

Quick Reply: Can a M8 motor fit in a Softail frame?