Elite HDF Member

With enough money anything can fit anywhere

The following users liked this post:
bzb123 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017 | 07:10 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
I wonder if they still feel the same about that statement with all the problems they are having with this motor? I realize there are a lot of people with no issues, but there are far too many that are experiencing issues especially with the oil migration. Part of me is hoping for M8 in the softails, and part of me is hoping they leave the twin cam alone. I really don't think you'll see it in the 2018 Softail because obviously it will not fit in the frame, and if they have to make any adjustments at all there has to be a patent, and one is not been applied for from what I can find out.
Well, they wont leave the twin cam alone, that's for sure. And they might still feel the same about that statement... after all they have the real numbers on warranty repairs and how much they're costing them.

I bet we'll see the M8 in either the dyna or the softail lines for 2018. Maybe even both.

Old 07-19-2017 | 07:18 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I wonder if they still feel the same about that statement with all the problems they are having with this motor? I realize there are a lot of people with no issues, but there are far too many that are experiencing issues especially with the oil migration. Part of me is hoping for M8 in the softails, and part of me is hoping they leave the twin cam alone. I really don't think you'll see it in the 2018 Softail because obviously it will not fit in the frame, and if they have to make any adjustments at all there has to be a patent, and one is not been applied for from what I can find out.
If I was a betting man I would bet YES, we will see the M8 in all models for 2018. Let's look back at history to get an idea, 2001 Softail gets new fuel injection, 2002 across the board, 2006 Dyna gets new TC engine with 6 speed, 2007 across the board. XL and Street will remain the same. Let's face it, its also 115th year for HD, so I am sure there will be some specials for CVO, Touring and Softail that go along with it. I've heard rumors that Dyna is going away from several places but who knows for sure. One thing for sure is we will all know in 5 weeks time.

Old 07-19-2017 | 07:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

A Softail has it's engine solid mounted and the transmission mounted to engine but the swing arm is part of the frame.

The pre M8 Cruisers and Dynas have the Engine hung by rubber, the transmission mounted to the engine and the swing arm mounted to the transmission.

So, in reality, the rear wheel, transmission, and engine are a unit hanging off the frame.

Where is the swing arm attached to on the M8?

Old 07-19-2017 | 07:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

they've been doing this for over a century, thru ups and downs have remained successful and they'll continue to deliver great products despite taking their lumps from time to time

Old 07-20-2017 | 04:13 AM
Jack the Lad
Tourer

Common Core Frame, gentlemen.
It's coming.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017 | 04:28 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser

Where is the swing arm attached to on the M8?
Well on the 2018 M8 Softail it will attach to the frame, but the shock(s) wont be under it, instead they will be in the typical dirt bike mono-shock position.

Old 07-20-2017 | 02:12 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by HDs4me
Well on the 2018 M8 Softail it will attach to the frame, but the shock(s) wont be under it, instead they will be in the typical dirt bike mono-shock position.
That is what drawings that have been floating around the net for some time show. Will they do it 2018 ???

Old 07-20-2017 | 03:23 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smitty901
That is what drawings that have been floating around the net for some time show. Will they do it 2018 ???
maybe, but in typical MoCo fashion they'll try to hide the mono shock so deep that adjusting the preload and/or damping will be even worse than it was for the underslung softtail shocks...

maybe some bright engineer will make it so you have to take the rear wheel, fender AND seat off to make room to put a very special shaped wrench on the shock for adjustment

Old 07-20-2017 | 04:32 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

I had a sales person at a local dealer tell me the M8 cannot fit in a Softail frame. Does anyone know?
Thx
Dealers in my area think the dynas and softails will have the m8 in 2018. But only time will tell like said. I would love to own a softail slim with a m8 to go along with my m8 sgs one day. I think they would get along just fine in my garage.

Quick Reply: Can a M8 motor fit in a Softail frame?