Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHXS Stage 1 Performance Increase!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 AM
mmorales3741
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FLHXS Stage 1 Performance Increase!

I've searched through the forums to find info on what combination of "stage 1" upgrades gives the best performance increase. I have not been able to narrow down anything besides "screamin eagle sucks".

Can anyone help me decide what is going to be the best route for me to take, I am looking for more low end torque, I'd like to have more power in the "friction zone" for low speed maneuvering to be made a bit easier. If anyone has experience or has upgraded their bikes, please show some dyno reports if you can.

TIA!!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorales3741
I've searched through the forums to find info on what combination of "stage 1" upgrades gives the best performance increase. I have not been able to narrow down anything besides "screamin eagle sucks".

Can anyone help me decide what is going to be the best route for me to take, I am looking for more low end torque, I'd like to have more power in the "friction zone" for low speed maneuvering to be made a bit easier. If anyone has experience or has upgraded their bikes, please show some dyno reports if you can.

TIA!!
"screamin eagle sucks"...NOT! my SE Stage 1 is fantastic and runs incredibly well..~ $1500 and full warranty intact..red is SE Stage 1 with just SEPST ECM calibration..blue is dyno tuned with SEPST..didn't have a stock baseline run but that would be below the red...so easy to see what a properly tuned SE Stage 1 offers over stock..which is already a great running engine..best bang for the buck

Attached Thumbnails FLHXS Stage 1 Performance Increase!-img_0507.jpg  

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-10-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

In all honesty, the pipes and air cleaner differences you use for Stage 1 won't make that much of a difference between each other. The tune you use will. SE tunes will be fine but will not yield the most due to EPA compliance. Pick out what you like and what is in your budget or just drop on some nice cans and leave it stock.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

agreed. won't get that much from any stage 1 kit regardless of brand because you're only replacing mufflers and air intake.. The stock head pipe will still have the performance robbing cat. Having the SE tuner is key if you want to keep warranty. Real performance will be gained once you go to stage 2 and beyond. I strongly recommend you work with your local HD shop on options. You'll need their support if you experience any real problems.

The following users liked this post:
mmorales3741 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 AM
mmorales3741
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thoughts. I did want to go ahead and go with the Rinehart/SE Deep Breath/SE Tuner.. although the guy at the dealership told me that if they installed the FP3 it wouldn't void warranty.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

talk to the service manager.. that's the guy that will know. not the sales or parts guy. They'll see you anything.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorales3741
Interesting thoughts. I did want to go ahead and go with the Rinehart/SE Deep Breath/SE Tuner.. although the guy at the dealership told me that if they installed the FP3 it wouldn't void warranty.
So you will hear different things from different people. With my dealer, he had no issue with the fact that I added S&S MK-45 cans, S&S Stealth Aircleaner and a Fuel Moto Tune via a PowerVision at 500 miles. I took mine in for the 1K service, specifically told the tech not to flash my ECU when he performed the service and he said no problem. After the service, he test rode my bike and when he came back, he told me that it ran really good with my tune. Not all dealers will be that way, so it really depends on who your dealer is whether they will question warranty coverage for mods. Now I know my dealer and have been with them for many years, that might have something to do with it.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer

doing a 1k service has nothing to do with providing warranty services.. You're paying them to do an oil change. For regular services they don't care if you bring them a Honda. It might be a little different if you bring the bike in with an engine problem that needs to be covered under warranty. That's where things will get interesting. You need to ask the specific questions regarding warranty work on engine, trans, etc.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
"screamin eagle sucks"...NOT! my SE Stage 1 is fantastic and runs incredibly well..~ $1500 and full warranty intact..red is SE Stage 1 with just SEPST ECM calibration..blue is dyno tuned with SEPST..didn't have a stock baseline run but that would be below the red...so easy to see what a properly tuned SE Stage 1 offers over stock..which is already a great running engine..best bang for the buck
Wow that dyno really helped you down low...

What specific parts did you use to get this? Who did the dyno?

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 07-10-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Wow that dyno really helped you down low...

What specific parts did you use to get this? Who did the dyno?
SEPST, SE High Flo and SE Street Canons..we have a very experienced, competent and capable Service Team who supports the Race Team here at Latus Motors Harley Davidson..they know how to do this stuff right..VERY happy with the torque down low..right where I like it..2-4 K is extremely useful and don't spend much time at all outside that range..don't need to

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-10-2017 at 03:05 PM.