Sponsored by:

Slip-On without tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:04 AM
hippster
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip-On without tuner

Question. This is something that i have been pondering. I am interested in putting on some slip ons, but no other modifications to my 2017 RG. I simply want more sound, but don't care about increasing power. My question is, can you put on slip ons without adjusting the air/fuel map and leave it stock? I know that this could be a warranty issue. Obviously I don't want to hurt the engine and am willing to switch out the after market slip ons when taking the bike in for service, just to avoid any pissing matches with the dealership or harley. Thoughts? I am one proponent of loud pipes save lives. With everyone texting and driving, I figure it is just one more variable I can control to hope that they know I am near.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

It's fine. Do it and enjoy.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hippster
Question. This is something that i have been pondering. I am interested in putting on some slip ons, but no other modifications to my 2017 RG. I simply want more sound, but don't care about increasing power. My question is, can you put on slip ons without adjusting the air/fuel map and leave it stock? I know that this could be a warranty issue. Obviously I don't want to hurt the engine and am willing to switch out the afte market slip ons when taking the bike in for service, just to avoid any pissing matches with the dealership or harley. Thoughts? I am one proponent of loud pipes save lives. With everyone texting and driving, I figure it is just one more variable I can control to hope that they know I am near.
Was talking to a service tech at Harley that does wrenching last Thursday and I asked the pipe, air cleaner and or slipon question and this is what he said.

" On the 16's you could either swap out the exaust mufflers or have a high flow air cleaner but not both as the ecm only had a big enough map window to compensate for subtle changes in air / exhaust flow"

But the 17's run so lean you can't change anything, Even people that have put slipons and cleaners on earlier bikes including the 16's have had excessive engine heat and he's fixed plenty of burnt rear valves. Dynojet even has an advanced stock tune for un modified Harley's just to fatten them up a bit.
I went with the PV tuner for my air and exhaust mods but to each their own.
But I will say I've seen a few people drill out the baffle plug at the end of the mufflers ( see YouTube vid ) and said its had no affect on their ecm to manage air fuel.

Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 07-10-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I am purchasing a 2018 SG and discussed with the dealer about slip ons. They stated that I don't need a Stage 1 or fuel management system with just slip on. I am putting Big Louises on my ride for just sound.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

You can try it and see. My bike pinged with out the tuner on it and just V&H elliminators.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger09
I am purchasing a 2018 SG and discussed with the dealer about slip ons. They stated that I don't need a Stage 1 or fuel management system with just slip on. I am putting Big Louises on my ride for just sound.
I believe that there was a guy on this forum that had a trike and just run slipons with out a tune and after many miles and plug checks he said although you can do it But it's not recommended as the lean condition he caused with just a mild slipons made the engine excessively hotter reducing power , toque and from what I understand increased oil change intervals.

I don't think the tunes of the 18's are going to be any different so Good luck

Wiz

​​​​​​​

Old 07-10-2017, 04:10 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

not one problem with mine. I have Rinehart 4" slip ons. I am definitely not doing anything else. just no bang for the buck IMO.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts

My bike when it was a slip-ons only bike.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:15 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

If you are worried about your Bike running lean go to ( www.nightrider.com ) see XiEDs will help.

John

Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Imagine a one-way tunnel entrance, with one lane at the entrance and continuous traffic flow at a constant speed. If two thirds of the way through the tunnel the road widens to two or three lanes, the amount of traffic flow is determined by the most narrow part (numbers of cars entering per unit time) of the tunnel.

So can someone please explain to me how properly installed slip-ons would affect the A-F ratio if there was no changes to the induction system or ECU mapping.

Quick Reply: Slip-On without tuner