Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-On without tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM
RNDROB
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I imagen it this way. You normally run your shower wide open, both hot and cold to achieve a comfortable temperature (perfect mix) but you would really like to have a higher flow rate so you install a larger line and valve on the hot side only. What’s the result? More flow but the temperature is going up.

Now on you bike, you increase the airflow but the FI can’t supply more fuel what happens? Too much air (O2) which causes more heat I would guess. I’m not much of a mechanic but sure what it sounds like to me. My question would be how would you know if the FI is maxed out or not? I’ll leave it to the mechanics.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
...So can someone please explain to me how properly installed slip-ons would affect the A-F ratio if there was no changes to the induction system or ECU mapping.
I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm with the others in that I have heard from dealers and others that slip-ons alone will not necessitate a tune. However, if you start talking full exhaust systems or gutting your cat along with slip-ons, then that is a different story. In those situations you can have a tuned exhaust that can actually work to scavenge more air through the system, which is what tuned exhaust systems are meant to do, even with a stock AF. Maybe it only happens at high RPMs, but it is a possibility that requires system management that doesn't exist with slip-ons alone, which are mostly megaphones to tune the sound more than bike performance.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I cut the cats out of mine. No tune. Runs fine. About to remove the baffles next

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by DelRider
I don't think anyone is saying that.
Actually, somebody DID say that:

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Was talking to a service tech at Harley that does wrenching last Thursday and I asked the pipe, air cleaner and or slipon question and this is what he said.

" On the 16's you could either swap out the exaust mufflers or have a high flow air cleaner but not both as the ecm only had a big enough map window to compensate for subtle changes in air / exhaust flow"

But the 17's run so lean you can't change anything, Even people that have put slipons and cleaners on earlier bikes including the 16's have had excessive engine heat and he's fixed plenty of burnt rear valves. Dynojet even has an advanced stock tune for un modified Harley's just to fatten them up a bit.

Wiz

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 AM
bigsteve113
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running V&H Twin Slash 4" Rounds slip-ons on my '17 UC. No tuner and no problems !!!

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

I ran RCX 4.5's and HD high flow filter without a tuner for a bit, it ran like a champ! I have since tuned it because wasn't sure of the long term effect. For what its worth, I did much research and personally spoke with dealers in 3 different states, all the service managers I spoke to said the same thing, tuner was not really necessary for slip ons and AC and more than likely would not do any harm but they recommended using a tuner for prolonged use.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I ran RCX 4.5's and HD high flow filter without a tuner for a bit, it ran like a champ! I have since tuned it because wasn't sure of the long term effect. For what its worth, I did much research and personally spoke with dealers in 3 different states, all the service managers I spoke to said the same thing, tuner was not really necessary for slip ons and AC and more than likely would not do any harm but they recommended using a tuner for prolonged use.
folks can roll the dice and personally I'd like to see someone report back after long term testing without tune..I can't get myself to ignore the folks who built the engines when they say about just adding a air cleaner

"You must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit. Failure to properly recalibrate the ECM can result in severe engine damage. "

Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
folks can roll the dice and personally I'd like to see someone report back after long term testing without tune..I can't get myself to ignore the folks who built the engines when they say about just adding a air cleaner

"You must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit. Failure to properly recalibrate the ECM can result in severe engine damage. "
Says the same thing for my SE stage 1 air let alone the 1.75 rush slipons I've gotten.
I went with the power vision from fuelmoto and got the unit delivered with the recommended tune to match my mods installed and ready to flash my ecm once I get my bike back.

Everyone I talk to that wrenches for Harley says 2016's you can do pipes or air but not both.
17's need flashed no matter what ya do as their so EPA lean it's stupid.
I'm going to plug the tuner in and take a few engine temps before and after the flash , pipes and air 'm looking for power and touqe and a cooler running motor and lower oil temps
Really it's your bike run it as you see if. But for the sake of a tuner even if you don't mod anything, cooler is better

Wiz

Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Actually, somebody DID say that:
Yep pretty much word for word from a Harley wrencher ....just what the guy told me when my 17 custom was in for its 1'st service.

Wiz

Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,349 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
17's need flashed no matter what ya do as their so EPA lean it's stupid.
I read this over and over here..isn't Closed Loop the same as it's been for years, and my understanding is that in Open Loop it's Richer than its predecessors....

Quick Reply: Slip-On without tuner