Sponsored by:

SGS handlebar swap, TBW question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts
Default SGS handlebar swap, TBW question

I'm going to be swapping out the bars on my sgs and I'm fairly sure I can tackle the job on my own. What has me concerned is the throttle by wire connector, specifically the pins in the wiring harness. How difficult is it to unpin them to remove and route through the new bars?

I'm debating just ordering a new TBW system and not worry about unpinning the wires. This will add a hundred bucks so if I can keep that in my pocket I'd prefer that for sure.

Thanks in advance fellas and ladies

Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put on a set of 12" MBB's on my '17 RGS last night. I can't say for sure that they use the same TBW on the RGS as the SGS, but it would seem reasonable that they do. I installed a set of apes on a '14 SGS a few years ago and since then, the TBW wiring that HD uses changed. Back on my '14 SGS, the TBW had a big molex connector at the end that you absolutely had to unpin to get into the bars. The one on my '17 RGS was much smaller and able to fit inside the bars. I did end up cutting off the small connector for the heated grips because I have no intentions of ever installing heated grips to make the internal wiring a little easier. There was no problem pulling the new TBW through my bars (outside of the normal PITA that internally wiring the bars comes with). There is PLENTY of extra TBW wiring on the stock TBW for 12' apes, and very likely much taller bars.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably end up cutting the TBW wiring a few inches above the connector and pulling them through the bars with only the wires (no connector). Once I pull it through, i'd go back and solder the wires back together. It would add some extra (stress free) time but beats the hell out of wrestling the wiring through the apes. I'm just a weekend warrior so take this advice with that in mind. I would do the same think with the control wiring as well. I did end up splicing in 6" of extra wire into all of the control wiring just to make sure I had enough. Easier to do before trying to wire them than to find out afterwards that you're too short and having to pull the wiring out and do it again.

There's a lot more involved in exposing the handlebar mount on a SGS compared to a RGS or i'd suggest taking a look to see what the TBW connector you have looks like. Hopefully someone with a '17 SGS will chime in.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The following users liked this post:
purpledeuce (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:56 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You won't need to unpin it.

The following users liked this post:
purpledeuce (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:50 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Thank you fellas! I very much appreciate it. Im hoping to just be able to tilt the fairing forward to get to the bar mounts. I won't know till I get into it though

Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts

Hey purpledeuce,
What bars are you installing?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

I'm going reduced reach HD bars, I know there are better options out there but they've worked well for me in the past

Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 PM
sarge-glide
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I put 12" LA choppers on by myself. The TBW connector is smaller for the '16 and newer Street Glides. Check this video out before you start. His video was VERY helpful and got me through my handlebar swap. Only difference was the TBW connector was small enough to fit through when i pulled the cables.

The following 4 users liked this post by sarge-glide:
Hephaestus (01-22-2018), load97 (08-11-2017), Nuke_Disaster (07-10-2017), purpledeuce (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:43 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sarge-glide
I put 12" LA choppers on by myself. The TBW connector is smaller for the '16 and newer Street Glides. Check this video out before you start. His video was VERY helpful and got me through my handlebar swap. Only difference was the TBW connector was small enough to fit through when i pulled the cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvOmEvXQRs
I've watched that video a few times, that's what inspired my confidence. The other thing it did was convince me to buy polyurethane bushings

Old 07-09-2017, 02:45 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

This is one of the best mod videos i have ever watched. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,163 Likes on 353 Posts

You will have no problem pulling that twist grip sensor plug out of your stock bars and into the bars you have chosen. As stated, the 2014's and 15's had a larger molex plug which had to be removed but 2016 and newer is much smaller. I watched the video below several times and found it to be the best and most helpful on the web today. Good luck!

Quick Reply: SGS handlebar swap, TBW question