Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my bike in for inspection on the recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 AM
steveg56
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Took my bike in for inspection on the recall...

They tech took a flashlight near the oil cooler and looked in a couple of places for about 30 seconds...then it was over. Is that sufficient? He said everything looked good and I was on my way. I must say I hope he looked good enough. Have any of you witnessed anything different when having your inspection for recall?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by steveg56
They tech took a flashlight near the oil cooler and looked in a couple of places for about 30 seconds...then it was over. Is that sufficient? He said everything looked good and I was on my way. I must say I hope he looked good enough. Have any of you witnessed anything different when having your inspection for recall?
My oil line was leaking bad in October 2016 at my 1k service. Dealer fixed it and now have 8k on it with no oil issues since. Took it back in the other day for the recall and all was still good but they replaced both clamps anyway. Dealer told me they were instructed by HD to replace both clamps, good or bad. A lot of people have been posting about a very quick in and out inspection, for an issue as serious as an oil line popping loose that could potentially put you on the pavement, that would not be sufficient for me. Just my opinion.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

It's pretty easy to see, you should have (3) crimps on the retainer ring to the oil line, the ones that are failing have (2) crimps. I inspected mine in the garage with a flashlight easily, though you have to get low on the ground and pull up on the front of the flexi-plastic oil cooler surround to see the crimps on the two lines tucked behind that piece of plastic.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 AM
steveg56
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
It's pretty easy to see, you should have (3) crimps on the retainer ring to the oil line, the ones that are failing have (2) crimps. I inspected mine in the garage with a flashlight easily, though you have to get low on the ground and pull up on the front of the flexi-plastic oil cooler surround to see the crimps on the two lines tucked behind that piece of plastic.
That's kinda what I was worried about as I thought you had to remove the plastic housing around the oil cooler to get a proper look. Should I go to a different dealer to have them inspected properly?

Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They are just looking to make sure it's not leaking and it's clamp is tight. The whole thing takes less than one minute.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
They are just looking to make sure it's not leaking and it's clamp is tight. The whole thing takes less than one minute.
Exactly! A lot of people are worked up over this recall which is really nothing.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally received my letter in the mail, even though my VIN didn't fall within the affected units. Took the letter to the dealer, and the service guy immediately stepped outside and laid down on the ground to check fittings. He said I was "all good" and sent me on my way. However, I asked for the paperwork showing that the inspection had been completed, which seemed to aggravate him a bit. I waited around about 30 minutes for it, but I wasn't leaving without it. When I sell the bike, I want to have proof that it was checked out, other than telling them that Harley has a record of inspection on file.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Exactly! A lot of people are worked up over this recall which is really nothing.
Not trying to be a smart *** but ask the several documented cases that crashed and received injuries if this recall is "really nothing" Anytime there is a possibility of oil or coolant etc dripping in the tires path of travel I consider that pretty serious

Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
Finally received my letter in the mail, even though my VIN didn't fall within the affected units. Took the letter to the dealer, and the service guy immediately stepped outside and laid down on the ground to check fittings. He said I was "all good" and sent me on my way. However, I asked for the paperwork showing that the inspection had been completed, which seemed to aggravate him a bit. I waited around about 30 minutes for it, but I wasn't leaving without it. When I sell the bike, I want to have proof that it was checked out, other than telling them that Harley has a record of inspection on file.
Just between you, me and the fencepost, I intend to put some small hose clamps on my oil lines, rather than trusting those little, tiny crimps.

If two crimps mean there could be catastrophic failure, and three crimps mean you're fine - and then you actually SEE the size of those crimps, well - a hose clamp is 10x better but those cost about 8 cents each whereas a crimp cost nothing - so you can see why Harley did the crimp. They save a dollar or two on each bike when you factor in the longer install time for clamps.

Thank the bean counters.

I could care less about paper documentation myself. I don't want the oil lines to come off the bike when I out in the middle of nowhere, so I'll be hose-clamping mine in short order. Those crimps don't inspire confidence.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:04 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,200 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Just between you, me and the fencepost, I intend to put some small hose clamps on my oil lines, rather than trusting those little, tiny crimps.

If two crimps mean there could be catastrophic failure, and three crimps mean you're fine - and then you actually SEE the size of those crimps, well - a hose clamp is 10x better but those cost about 8 cents each whereas a crimp cost nothing - so you can see why Harley did the crimp. They save a dollar or two on each bike when you factor in the longer install time for clamps.

Thank the bean counters.

I could care less about paper documentation myself. I don't want the oil lines to come off the bike when I out in the middle of nowhere, so I'll be hose-clamping mine in short order. Those crimps don't inspire confidence.
I like the Oetiker clamps (pinch clamps) more than screw hose clamps... I have recently purchased the tool and a good assortment of the Oetiker style clamps.

The positives: they provide better clamping (360° compression) with less damage to the hose.

The negatives: they are single use only and more expensive.

Google "oetiker clamps vs hose clamps" and you'll see a lot on the subject. Many people are switching to the Oetiker style clamps.

I've always seen/used hose clamps in the past. I can't count the times I've found a hose clamp so tight, the rubber hose is bulging out of the slots in the clamp band.... clearly too tight and damaging the hose.

I don't understand the "2 or 3 crimp" issue. Either the ears are crimped or they're not.... The only issue would be using a clamp too big for the application, but then it would be totally crimped, just not putting pressure on the hose.

I believe the recall involved clamps that were installed but not crimped.... pretty easy to see....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Took my bike in for inspection on the recall...