Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my bike in for inspection on the recall...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Just between you, me and the fencepost, I intend to put some small hose clamps on my oil lines, rather than trusting those little, tiny crimps.

If two crimps mean there could be catastrophic failure, and three crimps mean you're fine - and then you actually SEE the size of those crimps, well - a hose clamp is 10x better but those cost about 8 cents each whereas a crimp cost nothing - so you can see why Harley did the crimp. They save a dollar or two on each bike when you factor in the longer install time for clamps.

Thank the bean counters.

I could care less about paper documentation myself. I don't want the oil lines to come off the bike when I out in the middle of nowhere, so I'll be hose-clamping mine in short order. Those crimps don't inspire confidence.
To each his own, for me I prefer the crimp clamps. HD has been using them for along time, My 1981 Super Glide had them on the oil lines.

When my fan assist oil cooler showed up at the dealer with worm drives,I requested Crimps. I do carry a couple worm drives in my tool kit for emergency use.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-07-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

It's a very fast and easy inspection. I took mine in last week. They pulled the vin up. Then they had to know why my warranty was void. Tech went out got on the ground saw a slight bit of residue around the main outlet clamp area. Told him it was because I've been checking oil pressure. He laughed and and said ooo yeah your oil pump issue. Then he asked what my pressures were and how I was checking/protocol the oil psi. Told him, He said good job.

We smoked a cig and talked about my failure. As we parted ways he told me he had been a Harley Dealer Tech for 15 years. Great job!!! Love my job!!! But Sir I don't own a Harley and I don't ride them except for work. I asked why not.... Look around you and in the shop,,, thats why...

Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I like the Oetiker clamps (pinch clamps) more than screw hose clamps... I have recently purchased the tool and a good assortment of the Oetiker style clamps.
Good tip! i am going to buy a kit of these + the Crimp tool. Agreed they are superior to worm / screw clamps.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Good tip! i am going to buy a kit of these + the Crimp tool. Agreed they are superior to worm / screw clamps.
The only thing "superior" about crimp style clamps over worm drive clamps is the amount of time it take to secure them, period. Both are just as secure and leakproof if installed properly. The crimp style clamps took over OEM production because they were quicker to install - time is money. This recall shows that they can still be improperly installed.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Mine were found to be done properly. The union H-D worker must not have been out drinking the night before. At least we can't blame the Chinese for this one.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:13 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
The only thing "superior" about crimp style clamps over worm drive clamps is the amount of time it take to secure them, period. Both are just as secure and leakproof if installed properly. The crimp style clamps took over OEM production because they were quicker to install - time is money. This recall shows that they can still be improperly installed.

Crimp style provide better 360° compression, and are less likely to be over tightened and damage the hose (seen the damage screw clamps can cause many, many times).... plus, purely subjective, I think they provide a better, more professional looking application.

Additionally, I have cut myself on the "tab" sticking out of the screw clamps numerous times... never had anything catch, cut, or tear on a crimp clamp.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM
King_David
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the education, gentlemen!
I had the clamps inspected by the dealer just as soon as I learned about the recall on HDforums. Now that I know what to look for, I checked them myself. All it took was
a good flashlight and a mirror. Yup - three crimps in each.
I have to admit that those clamps feel very secure. And no leak whatsoever.

Dave

Old 07-09-2017, 01:41 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Crimp style provide better 360° compression, and are less likely to be over tightened and damage the hose (seen the damage screw clamps can cause many, many times).... plus, purely subjective, I think they provide a better, more professional looking application.

Additionally, I have cut myself on the "tab" sticking out of the screw clamps numerous times... never had anything catch, cut, or tear on a crimp clamp.
You mean when washing your bike any where near the clamps you've never cut a knuckle or your hand on one of those clamps?
I did not think that was possible.
In the 40+ plus years I've done maintenance on Harley's and washed them, no matter how careful I've been, I'll still get cut........

Old 07-11-2017, 04:56 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
You mean when washing your bike any where near the clamps you've never cut a knuckle or your hand on one of those clamps?
I did not think that was possible.
In the 40+ plus years I've done maintenance on Harley's and washed them, no matter how careful I've been, I'll still get cut........
Nope, never got cut on a crimped clamp.... on a comparable sized clamp, the crimp is smaller than the screw, especially if there is a band-tail sticking out of the screw head.

I had Detroit 8V71TI diesels on my boat. They had a ton of screw clamps on everything: the raw water circuit, freshwater circuit, etc... Every time I would work on those engines, I would come away with several cuts...!

At least I had room around my mains, my generator was in a very confined space, also had many screw clamps.... every time I worked on the generator, I looked like I had just wrestled a bobcat...!

What can I say, I am not a fan of screw clamps....

Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Nope, never got cut on a crimped clamp.... on a comparable sized clamp, the crimp is smaller than the screw, especially if there is a band-tail sticking out of the screw head.

I had Detroit 8V71TI diesels on my boat. They had a ton of screw clamps on everything: the raw water circuit, freshwater circuit, etc... Every time I would work on those engines, I would come away with several cuts...!

At least I had room around my mains, my generator was in a very confined space, also had many screw clamps.... every time I worked on the generator, I looked like I had just wrestled a bobcat...!

What can I say, I am not a fan of screw clamps....
Thats pretty cool, I can run the rack on an 8V like nobody else, I cut my teeth on those and the 92's in my early years of Diesel Mechanics. That is an engine where the mechanic makes all the difference as so much is done by FEEL ! Yea, Ive had them run backwards too and always got weak in the knees when firing up a fresh rebuild.

Quick Reply: Took my bike in for inspection on the recall...