Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New M8 stage IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 01:10 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdwild
Am I complaining about nothing, or is there some way I can contact HD corporate and get a resolution to this?
Do you spend a lot of time at 6000 RPM's?

When HD's sheets say "Corrected" rear wheel...hp/tq, and your sheet does not, how is the comparison interpreted?

Old 08-29-2018 | 08:47 AM
Stéphane Leduc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garylau
I have a 17 CVO Street Glide and bought the stage 3 kit only because the stage 4 was not out at the time. Before the bike was completed with stage 3 I noticed they had a stage 4. To make mine a stage 4 I bought the bigger throttle body, injectors, and had my stock heads ported and polished. Mine made 138 hp on dyno and for the first time I'm happy with the performance! Had a 110 motor before and could only get 105 hp with extensive work done to it.
I did have a 103 that made 117 hp like 3 bikes ago.

My question is has anyone had trouble with loss of power at high rpm?
There is a new special bulletin from Harley M1450 that is suppose to fix the problem. They say the oil pump needs to be upgraded.
Is this the case on all M8 motors with a stage 3 or 4 kit?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Gary
138 hp? It is high. More than I ever heard with harley upgrade part. CVO came up stock with117ci? Where the upgrade bring it (ci and cc)? It is Dyno sae or sdt number ?

Old 08-29-2018 | 08:59 AM
Heatwave

delete

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-29-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2018 | 11:11 AM
Stéphane Leduc
Intermediate

My 2018 Fat bob has a stage 4 with bassani 2 into and high flow K&N which give me 128 hp & 124 ft-lb of torque (chart below). The bike was tune with a specific programation. The dyno guy told me the gaz consumption will be more than before the dyno (I did 1350 miles before putting the bike on the dyno). The gaz consumption is huge. I have to fill the bike every hour and I it even the case when I dont overide the bike. The gaz thank is small on this bike but still I had a autonomy almost tree time bigger before the dyno. Is it normal for a M8 fat bob with that kind of upgrade and power to consume that much? This lack of autonomy is not only anoying but jeopardize some trip. I cannot even get a spare gaz bottle. They make some for the sporster not the fat bob. Please share your experience

Old 08-29-2018 | 11:21 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stéphane Leduc

My 2018 Fat bob has a stage 4 with bassani 2 into and high flow K&N which give me 128 hp & 124 ft-lb of torque (chart below). The bike was tune with a specific programation. The dyno guy told me the gaz consumption will be more than before the dyno (I did 1350 miles before putting the bike on the dyno). The gaz consumption is huge. I have to fill the bike every hour and I it even the case when I dont overide the bike. The gaz thank is small on this bike but still I had a autonomy almost tree time bigger before the dyno. Is it normal for a M8 fat bob with that kind of upgrade and power to consume that much? This lack of autonomy is not only anoying but jeopardize some trip. I cannot even get a spare gaz bottle. They make some for the sporster not the fat bob. Please share your experience
gotta' pay to play...my Camry gaz mileage went to Hell when I upgraded the engine performance too

Old 08-29-2018 | 12:02 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Stéphane Leduc

Something doesn't sound right. Fatbob has a 3.6 gal tank. Sounds like you're getting less than 25mpg if you have to fill up every hr. I'd be taking it back to whoever installed the upgrade and tuned the bike because something is seriously wrong if a light bike like a FatBob is getting less than 25mpg..... regardless of how powerful it is. My M8 with stage IV has 128hp/128tq with all HD parts and it gets about 39 mpg.

Old 09-05-2018 | 07:29 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Just for reference, I have a 2018 Fat Bob with a Stage II (105 hp/120 torque). I just got back from a 3,850 mile trip, where I think the worst gas mileage I got was 40 mpg in a very, very, very twisty canyon, and the best gas mileage looks to be 62 mpg (cruise control locked at 55 mph for about two hours on a level flat road).

So your build is getting 4 more foot-pounds of torque, but a lot more horsepower (23 hp more). I would think you should be getting somewhere around 40 mpg with that build, at least. If it's getting 25 mpg, then I agree with heatwave, something's wrong there.

Old 09-06-2018 | 03:41 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Supporter

I just bought a new 2018 and was talking with the service guy about Stage III vs. Stage IV. True or a tactic, he informed me that if the bike is ever plugged in to the diagnostic tool and it is observed that there is a tune on there that is not a product of the SE tuner, MOCO can turn your warranty off with the click of the mouse. MOCO has a read on all the dealer tools. The Service guy told me a story of a guy with a Limited who was having persistent issues with a speaker. He finally bitched to MOCO loud enough that MOCO sent their guy in for a look. He got his speaker replaced, but because he had done a stage kit in his garage and got it tuned without MOCO's foreknowledge and not an SE tune, the guy lost the balance of his warranty in an instant. So what the bottom line is, is that MOCO is now a big brother if your bike ever gets plugged in at a dealer.

Old 09-06-2018 | 03:43 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rumblin
I just bought a new 2018 and was talking with the service guy about Stage III vs. Stage IV. True or a tactic, he informed me that if the bike is ever plugged in to the diagnostic tool and it is observed that there is a tune on there that is not a product of the SE tuner, MOCO can turn your warranty off with the click of the mouse. MOCO has a read on all the dealer tools. The Service guy told me a story of a guy with a Limited who was having persistent issues with a speaker. He finally bitched to MOCO loud enough that MOCO sent their guy in for a look. He got his speaker replaced, but because he had done a stage kit in his garage and got it tuned without MOCO's foreknowledge and not an SE tune, the guy lost the balance of his warranty in an instant. So what the bottom line is, is that MOCO is now a big brother if your bike ever gets plugged in at a dealer.
well this is news.......

Old 09-06-2018 | 03:46 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear

well this is news.......
Presuming sarcasm, but if not, no this is not news. Harley is under federal court order to do exactly that . Use a tuner other than the SE tuner, and your powertrain warranty is immediately and irrevocably voided.

Quick Reply: New M8 stage IV