Sponsored by:

Smart tune recording

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 271 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Smart tune recording

I have completed 1 Smart Tune back in early March or so. I am not sure if I really meet all the criteria suggested by Harley as far as RPM, length of time etc. etc. Also don't have a closed track as they suggest to perform these on. My question is what do I really need to do as far speed, length of time etc.? It's warmer out so I thought it might be a good time to get another smartune done, plus I am at 2k now as where the 1st one was done still during break in.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:40 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

The big thing is to not snap the throttle open or slam it shut. And don't get into blipping the throttle. Just ride it while you are recording. After all it is a street tune. Moderate pulls, smooth shifts and steady state runs down the road will produce meaningful data.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

My opinion...........

First off since you are not sure about your previous tune and your record session was prior to break in, I would start over. Load the Stage 1 map like you did the first tiime (or whatever calibration matches your bike). Then do a fresh data recording session. Make sure you save the sessions with either a date/time or Tune 1, Tune 2 etc. so you can load them properly. Once you get the new data session, follow the rest of the procedure for a NEW CUSTOM CALIBRATION. Also consider what I wrote below..........

Warm up your scoot first, start recording data, take a nice ride, like posted DO NOT CRACK IT OPEN OR DUMP OUT , ROLL THE THROTTLE. Now ride at different speeds and conditions. Ride it and let it record all it can (red light flashes quickly). Then follow the instructions on how to download the data. I believe the instructions mention if you don't have a closed course, ride at speed intervals of 10mph and hold the speed for 10 seconds while recording. Just vary the throttle positions and speeds is the important thing.

Once you have done the first tune and allowed the software to do its thing, do a few more record sessions and let it continue to adjust. You can record and adjust to you feel its running right or you see no cells being changed when you compare data. I have done 3 tunes so far and plan on doing more. I don't worry about being precise, just taking a ride with different throttle conditions and speeds. We can only adjust a small amount with the EPA conditions set in the tuner. I can't say that I have noticed a major difference in how it runs although it should help fuel economy and response from the canned starting map. It does seem that the small amount of decel popping is completely gone now. Hope this helps!

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 06-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Just ride as You would normally thoughout the rpm ranges .Then compare Your data.
A calibration is considered acceptable for the conditions in which the calibration is performed when:
VE values repeat themselves within 5%.
or
O2 Integrator values are between 95 & 105%

Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

make sure that you are saving the recorded runs and are using the last saved file to perform another smart tune session. Each new session begins with the last saved session/file. Do not start with the same original file otherwise you are running in circles and will not get the benefits.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
make sure that you are saving the recorded runs and are using the last saved file to perform another smart tune session. Each new session begins with the last saved session/file. Do not start with the same original file otherwise you are running in circles and will not get the benefits.
Re: Loading the last saved session. That is for sure! The instructions for the software don't seem to mention that little tidbit. I guess they "assume" we will figure it out on our own.