Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Audio Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Just got the bike so only used the Nav a few times but seems very user friendly, easy to program and gives lots of warning about your next move....

Old 05-29-2017, 06:46 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I found my RoadTech Zumo 550 to be a disaster in all areas that matter. It was replaced under original warranty and again under an ESP plan.

I have a Nuvi in my car and the model I have (58 LM) does not have the ability to turn off alerts so every time I pass a school (public, private, religious, charter) it dings. The newer models have the ability to turn off alerts (PITA). I've had two bad experiences with Garmin and they have lost a customer.

I love the HD Boom system. Reading the manual and experimenting with features is expected if you want to fully enjoy the system. I'm not thrilled with some of the software updates and I wish there was a provision for lifetime map updates. More often than not, I have found that the difficulties most people experience are due to user error.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:08 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Mine is working great not a problem i am sure there are systems with bugs in them. All my problems were mind not knowing how to use the boombox. Got a good tourial Videio and learned how to use it no problems.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Wmoor004
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the system! I used Navi on a recent trip and it worked like any other Navi - that is, I look at the screen periodically so I will not miss a turn. Hell, my expensive car will cause you to miss a turn.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Truly a pitiful and outdated Nav system. Eventually you can learn the system but even then the lawyers have searching and spelling features turned Off while you are moving. Ridiculous. If you want to find a bar or restaraunt 20 miles ahead .... no way unless you pull over. Its relatively useless for changes or flexibility once you are underway. Thats why my Zumo 665 is mounted on the handlebar and plugged into the back of the Boom system with the HD optional Aux input kit. Now I just use the Boom as the great audio sound system it is on the CVO.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

i heard the GPS unit was designed by Garmin. I read it somewhere but can't find it.
As for performance, I don't have an issue with it. It seems to work as expected. The slow boot process is the same as the unit in my 17 BMW X5, also by Garmin. They both have the same auto zoom feature and seem to work the same. Make sure you update the boom box software.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 PM
KXL
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Love the 2017 bikes---still hate the Nav Unit

For whatever reason HD hasn't decided to improve the Nav System, it is really sad. I've been using it since late '14 for almost 35K miles of off interstate roads and it ranges from decent to horrible. The cold hard fact is that there are much better options they could provide to ensure a safer ride.

Question one. Whoever heard of a nav unit that refuses to tell you the scale of measurement? Is it a half mile or ten miles---you'll never know because it isn't an option. You have 2 boxes you can show on the nav screen offering everything from time and temp to altitude---but you can't get the scale??? Sure it will tell you how far to the next turn---but scale out to see a turn that is only 50 miles away and you'll be seeing half the state or more.

Question two. If the stupid system understands the city and state but not the specific street address and clearly asks you to name the street again---and you do, should it then give you an entirely different street, city, and state? HD system will always do this.

Question three. Do you expect maps to get updated regularly like Garmin, Google etc do? HD system won't. My 17 CVO came with the same 2014 maps as my 2015 CVO.

Question four. If you really were interested in supplying an easy to use system for your riders, wouldn't you provide an option to mirror whatever they used on their cell phone---like Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto? It would definitely be safer [and more up to date].

The bottom line, in my opinion only, is that the system---that I do know how to use and do so regularly---is a pain in the *** and requires way too much attention leading to unsafe riding.

The following users liked this post:
sn95bullitt (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by KXL
For whatever reason HD hasn't decided to improve the Nav System, it is really sad. I've been using it since late '14 for almost 35K miles of off interstate roads and it ranges from decent to horrible. The cold hard fact is that there are much better options they could provide to ensure a safer ride.

Question one. Whoever heard of a nav unit that refuses to tell you the scale of measurement? Is it a half mile or ten miles---you'll never know because it isn't an option. You have 2 boxes you can show on the nav screen offering everything from time and temp to altitude---but you can't get the scale??? Sure it will tell you how far to the next turn---but scale out to see a turn that is only 50 miles away and you'll be seeing half the state or more.

Question two. If the stupid system understands the city and state but not the specific street address and clearly asks you to name the street again---and you do, should it then give you an entirely different street, city, and state? HD system will always do this.

Question three. Do you expect maps to get updated regularly like Garmin, Google etc do? HD system won't. My 17 CVO came with the same 2014 maps as my 2015 CVO.

Question four. If you really were interested in supplying an easy to use system for your riders, wouldn't you provide an option to mirror whatever they used on their cell phone---like Apple's CarPlay and Google's Android Auto? It would definitely be safer [and more up to date].

The bottom line, in my opinion only, is that the system---that I do know how to use and do so regularly---is a pain in the *** and requires way too much attention leading to unsafe riding.
Right on the money. And then add on the fact that you can't bring the Nav unit inside to work out routes when your on te road and it makes it an even easier decision to simply install the very intuitive, fast and portable Zumo directly to the handlebar. Sad to have such duplication but it really is he best solution.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

I just picked up a 2017 SGS, and the map database lists MAY2017, so while they are updating the map database the updates may not be available to all owners. Also it appears that they're updating the unit software - the latest software for the 6.5" unit is v1.21.0.41 (my SGS has v1.20.1). Here's the fixes in the latest version:

Intermittent software lock up caused by long text strings in lists
• Traffic settings missing from setup menu for HDI software
• Intermittent loss of audio and voice recognition after prompt
• Siri not launching consistently if voice recognition is activated
• Software freeze with intermittent USB cable operation
• POI searches "near destination" was searching near current Position
• Unintentional exit from user off mode due to media playing
• High contrast mode fixes, track information, progress bar, and voice recognition commands visible in high contrast mode
• Screen pop-ups not clearing after Bluetooth pairing
• Screen freezes when using older/worn USB cables
• Blank screen occurrence when using navigation and requesting weather information
• Scrolling to last option in list causes an unintentional selection of last option

Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Addenda: The v1.21.0.4 update is also available for the 4.3 unit & CVO unit. The update are available at http://www.h-d.com/boom.