Sponsored by:

RECALL: 5/25/17 Oil Line Clamps on 2017 Touring Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Vandinroth
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
That clamp has been crimped, whether or not the crimp is tight enough can be determined by trying to rotate the clamp with your fingers.
I work with a lot of these clamps in auto repair, I like them more than the screw type because they look neater and take up less space. However you can only use them once for the most part.

Can't budge it at all so hopefully that means i'm good. This weekend is ROT rally and the dealer is going to be swamped and I had plans to ride so was hoping to verify this on my own.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

There must be a range of VIN's that are affected but not listed because I just checked my buddies '17 FLHTKL on the HD website and his shows no open recalls. Will check his oil lines tonight when he gets home from work.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I checked mine too and it is not listed as having a recall on the HD website. But the dealer checked it when I took it in. I knew mine was okay as it was tight and a good crimp, but I wanted to be in the system just in case something does come about.

From USA today about 9 hours ago.

The recall covers certain 2017 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Police Electra Glide, Police Road King, Road King, Road King Special, Street Glide, Street Glide Special, Road Glide and Road Glide Special motorcycles built from July 2 2016 through May 9 2017.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,277 Likes on 4,445 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
That clamp has been crimped, whether or not the crimp is tight enough can be determined by trying to rotate the clamp with your fingers.
I work with a lot of these clamps in auto repair, I like them more than the screw type because they look neater and take up less space. However you can only use them once for the most part.
I recently bought an assortment of Oetiker clamps and two clamping tools. I like them much more than screw clamps... even though they are a one use clamp. They are a neater clamp that doesn't dig into the hose like over tightened screw clamps do...

You just need to select the proper size for the application and get a good crimp... both pretty simple...

Of course, having said that, HD seems to have found a way to muck it up!

The following users liked this post:
65Snake (06-24-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
There must be a range of VIN's that are affected but not listed because I just checked my buddies '17 FLHTKL on the HD website and his shows no open recalls. Will check his oil lines tonight when he gets home from work.
Read the recall information - it is only for air/oil-cooled models. FLHTKL is Twin-Cooled and, thus, not affected.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I recently bought an assortment of Oetiker clamps and two clamping tools. I like them much more than screw clamps... even though they are a one use clamp. They are a neater clamp that doesn't dig into the hose like over tightened screw clamps do...

You just need to select the proper size for the application and get a good crimp... both pretty simple...

Of course, having said that, HD seems to have found a way to muck it up!
You also need to have the space to be able to get your crimp tool on the band. There are many places on the 2017's that you cannot reach with the crimper.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
After taking a short ride yesterday, I later saw plenty oil on the underside of the bike, and on the ground, cleaned it all up and started the engine, after it warmed up some, oil poured from the oil line connection at the case.
Replaced the spring clamp with a stainless screw clamp, problem solved.

Had previously planned to go to the dealer to get the recall checked today, just happened to start leaking yesterday, still going when the weather clears, they owe me a quart of oil, and a clamp.

WTH a spring clamp on a pressure oil line?

Just went out and checked mine. Everything is tight and dry.

This hose has a crimp clamp on my bike, not a spring clamp. It looks like that's the oil pump outlet side of the system, so I'd imagine you'd see the highest pressure from here into the cooler? There are crimp-type clamps on mine all the way up to the hard lines going into the cylinder heads. The return side - exiting the rear cylinder - is a spring-type clamp...but, that's low pressure (I assume.)

Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Gla4g
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
The recall/TSB didn't come out until 5/23, so I doubt they had the knowledge to look.
I realize that. But the 1K Miles Service is supposed to check virtually everything on the bike. When I scheduled mine, they told me the 1K service takes about 4 hours - assuming they don't run into any issues. So it would sure seem to me that anything that could result in an oil leak would be on that very long checklist.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:39 PM
goblue90
Road Master
Received 349 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gla4g
I realize that. But the 1K Miles Service is supposed to check virtually everything on the bike. When I scheduled mine, they told me the 1K service takes about 4 hours - assuming they don't run into any issues. So it would sure seem to me that anything that could result in an oil leak would be on that very long checklist.

2 dealerships told me it'd take 4 hours as well, but the dealership I ended up going to performed the 1K service in 2 hours. I don't trust the 4 hour time frame. I think some dealerships use that number to (try to) justify the $400 - $500 cost that they quote for the service.

Last edited by goblue90; 06-07-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:47 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,379 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
2 dealerships told me it'd take 4 hours as well, but the dealership I ended up going to performed the 1K service in 2.5 hours. I don't trust the 4 hour time frame. I think some dealerships use that number to (try to) justify the $400 - $500 cost that they quote for the service.
and re: "check virtually everything on the bike". "on that very long checklist"

damn I wish I could believe that

Quick Reply: RECALL: 5/25/17 Oil Line Clamps on 2017 Touring Bikes