Sponsored by:

17 SG rear shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I know how to setup Ohlins. But I am not nor do I intend on pushing the bike to a level where the Ohlins would even shine. For cruising down the interstate soaking up bumps and getting me through slow corners with my wife on the back the stock shocks do it every bit as well as the Ohlins. HD doesn't make the shocks that come on the bike so don't discount them as **** just because they are stock. For 99% of Hd riders that money is best spent elsewhere. Good on you for riding your 900lb WW2 bike like you are Rossi...
Nope. Ohlins are light years ahead of the Showa shocks at EVERYRHING.

I know HD doesn't make the shocks. But they have a long history of putting dramatically inferior suspensions on their motorcycles. The new shocks are no different.

I wasn't aware HD made Rushmore Road Glides with M8 engines in WWII. And I haven't a clue who Rossi is.

Thats cool if the stock shocks work for you. You can spend your money on other things. But please don't say dilusional things like they're even close to a quality suspension component like Ohlins shocks.

The following users liked this post:
rhuff (05-02-2020)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:30 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear
You have to remember Thomas is running slicks and has his floorboards up around his ears for ground clearance so suspension setup is crucial
I just like a quality ride. And I knew before I even bought the bike that the stock setup wasn't going to provide that.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Nope. Ohlins are light years ahead of the Showa shocks at EVERYRHING.

I know HD doesn't make the shocks. But they have a long history of putting dramatically inferior suspensions on their motorcycles. The new shocks are no different.

I wasn't aware HD made Rushmore Road Glides with M8 engines in WWII. And I haven't a clue who Rossi is.

Thats cool if the stock shocks work for you. You can spend your money on other things. But please don't say dilusional things like they're even close to a quality suspension component like Ohlins shocks.
I was unaware that I said that Ohlins were at the same level of quality as Showa. I said that they perform just as well as my Ohlins did as far as comfort going down the road is concerned. Sorry to have offended you...didn't know you had a vested interest in the Ohlins company. Was just trying to save a few members some money of the stock shocks will do what they need it to do...and Rossi is a MotoGP legend.

To the OP please ignore me. The stock shocks suck and are far inferior to the beloved Ohlin shocks of the gods. Please don't try to make them work and hurry up and give your credit card to Ohlins so that your motorcycle can perform like it's intended to perform as a touring race bike. Hail Ohlins! Hail Ohlins! Hail Ohlins!

Boy I need a beer now...

Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got my 17 RGS today and salesman set the shock at 11. I am 215 lbs. and the #11 setting results you can guess. Will try tomorrow at 5 is the rain stays away. So much good info on these forums!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

I just like a quality ride. And I knew before I even bought the bike that the stock setup wasn't going to provide that.
Meh, it's an 800lb bike with next to no ground clearance. What are you hoping for? I've motocrossed, roadraced, supermoto'd for years. I'm familiar with what quality suspension can do. On my '02 RG olins made a noticeable difference. My '09 stock was better, frame changes.... my '17 SG is better then any of them and with what, 3" of travel? Concidering what you're starting with, modern Harley is doing a pretty good job suspension wise.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
I just got my 17 RGS today and salesman set the shock at 11. I am 215 lbs. and the #11 setting results you can guess. Will try tomorrow at 5 is the rain stays away. So much good info on these forums!
I'm 230 and a bit of playing around has me at 5 right now. Still have to get some miles on and different roads but so far seems erroring on the side of the lower end of the scale seems to be the way to go.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:17 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
I was unaware that I said that Ohlins were at the same level of quality as Showa. I said that they perform just as well as my Ohlins did as far as comfort going down the road is concerned. Sorry to have offended you...didn't know you had a vested interest in the Ohlins company. Was just trying to save a few members some money of the stock shocks will do what they need it to do...and Rossi is a MotoGP legend.

To the OP please ignore me. The stock shocks suck and are far inferior to the beloved Ohlin shocks of the gods. Please don't try to make them work and hurry up and give your credit card to Ohlins so that your motorcycle can perform like it's intended to perform as a touring race bike. Hail Ohlins! Hail Ohlins! Hail Ohlins!

Boy I need a beer now...
LOL! That escalated quickly. I was unaware I had a vested interest in the Ohlins company. Just stating mine and many, many other folks observations about the dramatic difference between the two. It would be something if everyone only rode their bikes in a straight line, but we don't. But that's why I wrote that my Ohlins do EVERYTHING better. Because they absorb road imperfections going in a straight line better and they handle better. I don't particularly care for the feeling of instability when going over a bump while cornering. Stock shocks do that, Ohlins don't.

Please don't flatter yourself. Your making some inaccurate statements about shocks doesn't come close to offending me. And folks will spend their money on whatever they want. I'm just sharing info about shocks like folks did for me. And I've been thanking them ever since.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear
Meh, it's an 800lb bike with next to no ground clearance. What are you hoping for? I've motocrossed, roadraced, supermoto'd for years. I'm familiar with what quality suspension can do. On my '02 RG olins made a noticeable difference. My '09 stock was better, frame changes.... my '17 SG is better then any of them and with what, 3" of travel? Concidering what you're starting with, modern Harley is doing a pretty good job suspension wise.
Stock SG shocks only have 2" of travel. It's amazing what an extra inch of travel and great valving can do.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222
I am 225 lbs. I backed mine out the farthest they could go and the ride is improved from what It was on #5. That is a proven fact the springs are way to stiff
Yup you're right they are but, you will bottom out if you don't dial it up some, keep mine on about 4.
joe

Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

LOL! That escalated quickly. I was unaware I had a vested interest in the Ohlins company. Just stating mine and many, many other folks observations about the dramatic difference between the two. It would be something if everyone only rode their bikes in a straight line, but we don't. But that's why I wrote that my Ohlins do EVERYTHING better. Because they absorb road imperfections going in a straight line better and they handle better. I don't particularly care for the feeling of instability when going over a bump while cornering. Stock shocks do that, Ohlins don't.

Please don't flatter yourself. Your making some inaccurate statements about shocks doesn't come close to offending me. And folks will spend their money on whatever they want. I'm just sharing info about shocks like folks did for me. And I've been thanking them ever since.
Apologies. Can't believe I got into a wiener wagging contest about shocks. Not my usual self I guess. Carry on.

Quick Reply: 17 SG rear shock adjustment