Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 Street Glide missing Aux power harness plug, wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017 | 08:29 AM
fiddypal
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by artie2908
your dealer parts guy is going to be your source of information. I would also prefer the switches on the left side as I'm sure most riders would. The good thing about dealing with the parts guys is you can reach over the counter and choke him if he screws up --- lol.
I need to find a new dealer then because this is the last straw from these idiots. I even spoke to someone at the service dept and explained my issue, they just read over the install paper and said "oh it must be under there somewhere look harder".

Old 05-22-2017 | 11:27 AM
artie2908
Intermediate

Harley installation instructions are notorious for sucking. I usually check out YouTube or harley websites. No matter what u do someone has already done it. Having a service manual sure helps too. I'm putting the same switches on my 2017 SGS. Parts are on order n should be here next week that's how I suspected u had the wrong parts. Good luck

Old 05-22-2017 | 11:40 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Yep I learned the hard way as well that the previous aux switch kit doesn't work on 2017 models.

Old 05-22-2017 | 12:07 PM
fiddypal
|
Advanced

So my next question is.... Can you still add the Fog lights button to this module and have it work? Where does that button terminate on the harness if you add it to the module? Is it already hooked up to whatever wires would power fog lights? I plan to add those as well.

Part i am talking about is 71400044

Old 05-23-2017 | 01:12 PM
fiddypal
|
Advanced

bump for answer. should have install finished tonight

Old 05-28-2017 | 05:27 PM
ardakota
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fiddypal
I desperately need some help here... 2017 street glide

I have torn the whole bike apart and cannot find the connector for this damn harness that goes to the Aux Power Switch Kit (the 3 little buttons on the dash under the radio). https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-fairing-mount

So i install the little switch module on the nose fairing cover, plug in the factory harness and then proceed to take off the left panel cover where the fuses are to add the wire harness that lets you add accessories.

I can not for the life of me find where the other end of this wire harness plug is (Grey 8 pin), and i am now thinking someone swapped an incorrect part into the box i got from the dealer or my bike does not have the required plug in the normal location.

Here are pics of the left side, under the seat, and the right side. None of these plugs fit i have checked each one.

Left: http://imgur.com/QUs3Nic
Seat: http://imgur.com/a/wX47s
Right: http://imgur.com/a/wmtgS

I have also had the entire nose fairing off as cannot find any plugs that fit in there either....

Now the only thing i did notice is the harness they gave me does not look exactly like the one on the back of the box, its missing a connector.

Missing plug: http://imgur.com/4TPmLJy

I am wondering if i have the wrong harness for this kit? Thought this was going to be a 10 minute job!
On the 17s the auxilary harness connects under the right cover the plug your looking for is plugged into a dummy plug and the harness you have should have a larger wire that goes to your battery if you dont have that wire you have the older harness.

Old 05-28-2017 | 11:32 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Good luck on returning an electrical part. Hope your Dealer likes ya'.

Old 05-29-2017 | 07:47 AM
fiddypal
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Good luck on returning an electrical part. Hope your Dealer likes ya'.
They sold me the incorrect part so it was on them, they took it back no issue.

I have the new correct switch pack installed which is now on the right hand side of the dash. Why Harley decided to flip that on the 17 is beyond me....

Just tying to figure out where the extra button I added terminates. From what I have read it's wired into the BCM and controls fog lights on the same wires the front turn signals are on. Is that accurate for the m8? Still waiting on my service manual.