Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to say there will be no changes to 2018 RGS from 2017...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017 | 10:45 PM
goose222
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sparky357
True Indian doesn't lead Harley at this point but they sure are gonna put a foot in Harleys *** to innovate and update. The current infotainment system was a good idea poorly executed. Maybe they will let Alpine or Pioneer step in.
Ya Indian this Indian that. At the end of the day it's still a Polaris and that ain't going to outsale a Harley. I wish people would quite comparing an Indian with a Harley. I ride for miles and miles day in and day out and I never ever see one. That tells me they got a long way to go. I also like my 17 SGS just fine and ain't going to wait around for next years model.

Old 05-12-2017 | 10:59 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Went to Dayton this year and Leesburg. Out of both rallies I only saw one Indian. The rest were dealer showroom bikes.

Id almost think the Softail's will be next in line for M8's, then Dyna's.

But from the up coming 18 color chart, Im not thinking we will see knock your socks off bikes coming 2018.

Old 05-12-2017 | 11:12 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by goose222
Ya Indian this Indian that. At the end of the day it's still a Polaris and that ain't going to outsale a Harley. I wish people would quite comparing an Indian with a Harley. I ride for miles and miles day in and day out and I never ever see one. That tells me they got a long way to go. I also like my 17 SGS just fine and ain't going to wait around for next years model.
Probably because it's the ugliest bike known to man. They should rename it to the Birth Control Bike. It's that friggin ugly!

The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
Mxdad (05-13-2017), shogunbikes (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017 | 05:57 AM
Peej
Cruiser

The Dyna with an M8...sounds like a blast!

The following users liked this post:
MoRider (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017 | 07:45 AM
Heatwave

New common frame for touring bikes and Dynas. Focus is to simplify manufacturing but I'm
sure they will have new marketing points about "rigidity improved". My guess is that they also offer the RG as a CVO since they didn't have one at the launch of the M8.

Old 05-13-2017 | 08:02 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Heatwave
New common frame for touring bikes and Dynas. Focus is to simplify manufacturing but I'm
sure they will have new marketing points about "rigidity improved". My guess is that they also offer the RG as a CVO since they didn't have one at the launch of the M8.
I hope so, and not a Road Glide Ultra.

Old 05-13-2017 | 09:36 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by rjjj629
I dunno smitty... they're talking about a common core frame which leads me to believe the center box is going to be standardized. If that really is the case then it'd make sense to standardize the dyna and touring models first. Depending on how they adapt the core the softail line could be at the same time or after a year.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...in-2018-a.html

http://www.indianmotorcycleforum.com...r-2018-8412807

https://streetglide.com/showthread.p...uring-amp-dyna
From a company perspective it would make a lot of sense to standardize the frame as much as possible across the bike line. Significant reduction in manufacturing costs. Car companies do it all the time.

The following users liked this post:
MoRider (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017 | 11:07 AM
Sparky357
Road Master

Originally Posted by goose222
Well keep in mind it depend on where you live because besides mine I don't see much Harley's and mostly imports Triumph,Agusta,Guzzi,BMW etc People like what they like regardless of what we think.

Old 05-13-2017 | 12:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

My bet would be that they use a common frame for softails and dynas and keep the frame for the baggers. There are a number of reasons as to why.

1. The big one. The current baggers use negative offset trees. This is due partly to mass on the front end from fairing on bat-wings. I doubt they get rid of the bat-wing line.. Converting to front offset tress would require that all fairings on batwings, and headlight nacelles on RKs change. They could probably get away with RGs as the forks are buried between the frame and fairing.

2. If they were to keep reverse trees and use them on Dynas and softails the results would be butt ugly. The head light on the bikes would have to be pushed way out.. Reversed trees would require that all trees for Dynas and softails change. Some mentioned that HD is slow to change.

3. The parts change going either way would be costly. Inventory roll overs to the next product have to be synchronized to minimize excess waste inventory. Yeah the common frame might reduce cost in the long run but I'd expect HD to make the conservative change. If there were to change dyna / softail frames to one common setup, they could use the same front ends they are currently producing.

4. Softails and Dynas carry less weight and don't need a heavier frame.. They are heavy enough as they are. Using a heavy frame on a light bike would only make the bikes handle slower. Using a lighter frame on a heavy bike would increase flex.. Current M8 frame ain't too bad for a heavy bike but it's nothing like a dyna (at least the early TCs).

5. On softails and Dyna they could chose to add rubber mounts but it would be cheaper to solid mount the motor. The dynas would handle even better.. Would it be worth solid mounting a bagger motor? My bet is that the touring types would complain. Heck they complain about the rubber mount TCs..

What would be nice is to see more travel in the rear for baggers and a frame change would be an opportunity to do so. Doing so increases the possibility of handling issues due to the current frame setup. I suspect that HD would stay conservative here and keep the bagger frame.

Old 05-13-2017 | 12:59 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

[QUOTE=dixonk;16232265]Probably because it's the ugliest bike known to man. They should rename it to the Birth Control Bike. It's that friggin ugly![/QUOTE
THANK YOU!!!!

Quick Reply: Safe to say there will be no changes to 2018 RGS from 2017...