Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Mine was 6 oz low when it was 2 weeks off showroom... Just did 1K and switched to Bel-Ray 85W140... keeping an eye on it with 1235.0 miles now.
How has your's done with the be-ray i just put that in mine.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2002
I wonder how much build date has to do with those affected? I want to take advantage of the good deals right now but it is causing me to pause.
Originally Posted by Gamma742
I put another 5K on my bike as we took a trip to Jasper Canada.. I saw no measurable transfer so I decided to put the bike to the test...

I rode up hill on Scripps-Poway Pkwy in 2nd gear for 4 minutes at 4700 RPMs (51 mph) then went home. The level in the transmission was the same. I learned that Cruise control works in second gear on the M8. I think on my old bike you had to be in third.

I was just over the 10K so I changed and measured the primary and the transmission.

I'm happy to say I am not one of the affected.

Also note that my build date is 9/16 as stated on the down tube.
Build Date has nothing to do with it!! I have an early bike and can't force it to transfer according to Steve Coles instructions. I think everyone that is concerned (all M8 owners) should run this test so they know for sure. All you need is an uphill grade.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:41 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma742
Build Date has nothing to do with it!! I have an early bike and can't force it to transfer according to Steve Coles instructions. I think everyone that is concerned (all M8 owners) should run this test so they know for sure. All you need is an uphill grade.
Mine's a pretty early bike too and I haven't been able to make it transfer any yet. I got it in Nov 2016. I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch of subcontracted parts at some point in the assembly history.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:26 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Mine's a pretty early bike too and I haven't been able to make it transfer any yet. I got it in Nov 2016. I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch of subcontracted parts at some point in the assembly history.
That's happened a few times before (including cam plate debris on the M8), but first they need to figure out what is causing the problem to be able to single out a part issue...

It must be truly frustrating for those who are affected.....!

Luckily I don't NEED a new motorcycle. My '12 Limited is set up for me and runs great (stage II). I just really, really, really wanted to trade it for a new M8 Limited....

That won't happen until I see evidence the problem(s) is/are fixed..... just not worth it to me, to run the risk of getting an affected bike...

Old 08-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
That's happened a few times before (including cam plate debris on the M8), but first they need to figure out what is causing the problem to be able to single out a part issue...

It must be truly frustrating for those who are affected.....!

Luckily I don't NEED a new motorcycle. My '12 Limited is set up for me and runs great (stage II). I just really, really, really wanted to trade it for a new M8 Limited....

That won't happen until I see evidence the problem(s) is/are fixed..... just not worth it to me, to run the risk of getting an affected bike...
I wonder how many other potential M8 owners are sitting on their money waiting for the problem to be solved before parting with hard earned cash?
If the MoCo were aware maybe it would spur them on to fix things!

Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Bill D.
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many other potential M8 owners are sitting on their money waiting for the problem to be solved before parting with hard earned cash?
I'm one.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill D.
I'm one.
And Bill,you will probably remain one along with Billsbuffalo and the rest of the non M8 owners who respond to this thread.

Last edited by GTK; 08-06-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

I don't own a bike now, and I really, REALLY want a new Limited, too. I was/am hoping that they fix this crap in he 2018's! I would absolutely love to get riding before the season ends.

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
If the MoCo were aware maybe it would spur them on to fix things!
I don't want to pay $30,000.00+ for a motorcycle that stands a pretty good chance of just being pushed around to the Service entrance! With all of the different issues people are posting about it is very discouraging for potential M8 buyers. I'm not a savvy enough buyer to safely buy a used Limited, but I gotta say it is starting to sound like it might have its benefits over a new bike.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

reality is, Vegas odds and all..you have a better chance at getting a good one, Motorcycle of the Year and all..than one with all the issues you read about here..they are Harley GOAT bikes..nor saying I don't understand folks having apprehension..but in the same breath they are missing out on fantastic motorcycles fearing the exception not the rule

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-06-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

The only passageway from tranny to primary is the main shaft/clutch push rod. If you checked the clearance between the push rod and mainshaft bore on some of the bikes that are experiencing this issue, and some that are not; would there be a significant difference? Also, what does the inside of a main shaft look like, with respect to finish? Does the main shaft have spiral machine marks on it? Would some shafts have more cut or spiral than others? When hand reaming a piece, you let the reamer sort of screw it self through the piece, this can leave "rifling" marks, which could draw fluid through. If what ever vendor produced the main shafts and found the bore too small, I could see them sending back to be machined out further. I could be totally off base here because i can't even remember the last time I saw a Harley tranny apart.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?