Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrty
Is there anyone who has added TF that also never put their bike on a dyno? It seems every post I read about fluid transfer has a dyno in it. Is there more of a problem elsewhere than just the dyno bikes?
The OP was not on a dyno and many others have not been on the dyno. The dyno make it much easier to operate at higher engine speed, so I know that shows the problem much easier. The dyno is not the cause of the problem, its just a tool.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

[QUOTE=With all that done give bike back and have customer return for level check every 100 miles.[/QUOTE]

Seriously !! Would've thought the least they should be doing is giving you a replacement bike & let them **** about with 100 mile level checks etc....

Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I spoke to the guy doing the work on it and he told me most of what he did per the email HD corp sent them. The vent system was check by pushing compressed air into the the oil fill and checking airflow out of the vent hose, Clutch slave removed check the rubber seal on it for cracks. Then remove the vent cover plate and check gasket sealing and replace gasket. While vent plate remove inspect some passageways. Remove clutch pushrod and inspect mainshaft hole for obstructions. Open primary and check torque on Clutch basket and engine output shaft. Remove the primary chain and pieces to replace main seal and the sleeve it rides on, reassemble. With all that done give bike back and have customer return for level check every 100 miles. Result, one day riding through the mountain roads about 80 miles the transmission dipstick is dry. So back to the dealership it goes.
Remove and replace all the existing parts with parts of the same design and then expected different results. Ridiculous. It's not like your the ONLY one with the issue and its about checking for some anomaly at this point. Oh well.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Put 300 miles on my after they did the inspection work. When it cools down I will pull the primary cover and check.
If all you are doing is pull trans dip stick chance are you will not notice a couple OZ migration. I did not really notice it on mine until I started check the primary level.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Put 300 miles on my after they did the inspection work. When it cools down I will pull the primary cover and check.
If all you are doing is pull trans dip stick chance are you will not notice a couple OZ migration. I did not really notice it on mine until I started check the primary level.
Are any of the derby cover bolt holes, through holes into the primary area? If there's one located at a height that's just above the proper level, that would allow you to just remove one bolt to check and see if oil comes out.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:30 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Are any of the derby cover bolt holes, through holes into the primary area? If there's one located at a height that's just above the proper level, that would allow you to just remove one bolt to check and see if oil comes out.
No and the screws do not run through. No big big to open it. I let it cool so that each time I check it is at the same temperature. Just came back in it is normal right now. Keep in mind it took 1350 miles to show the transfer last time. I will keep checking . If Doc say wife can ride we put some miles on this week end.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrty
Is there anyone who has added TF that also never put their bike on a dyno? It seems every post I read about fluid transfer has a dyno in it. Is there more of a problem elsewhere than just the dyno bikes?
Mine transfers fluid pretty regularly, or it did until I saw this thread. It's never been dyno'd, and in fact I can say it's never seen 5k rpm. With stock cams (edit; excuse me, not plural - a single cam) there's little reason to be above 4.5k. Mine does (did) see 4.5k some, I like to have fun with my bike. Before seeing this thread several weeks ago, it saw 4k rpm fairly regularly. On ramps to the interstate and other places safe to ride a bike hard, are a big part of the fun of motorcycling to me. Since this thread, I've only taken it above 4k a few times as a test. Any riding on my bike above 4k rpm WILL cause immediate and significant fluid transfer.

What hasn't been documented or commented upon is 3k to 4k rpm operation at extended lengths of time.

I just got home from an 1100 mile trip to Sturgis and back. Stay tuned for my report on oil transfer during this trip....

Last edited by ocezam; 08-02-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I put another 5K on my bike as we took a trip to Jasper Canada.. I saw no measurable transfer so I decided to put the bike to the test...

I rode up hill on Scripps-Poway Pkwy in 2nd gear for 4 minutes at 4700 RPMs (51 mph) then went home. The level in the transmission was the same. I learned that Cruise control works in second gear on the M8. I think on my old bike you had to be in third.

I was just over the 10K so I changed and measured the primary and the transmission.

I'm happy to say I am not one of the affected.

Also note that my build date is 9/16 as stated on the down tube.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

If you were to use the same oil in the trans and primary and let the transfer continue , just adding oil to the trans as needed. What could happen? How far overfull would the primary get and what would be the net result if it happened? Basically say eff it and let them both seek their levels? And in NO WAY am I suggesting its an acceptable solution. Just simply asking people who know way more about HD's then I.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
If you were to use the same oil in the trans and primary and let the transfer continue , just adding oil to the trans as needed. What could happen? How far overfull would the primary get and what would be the net result if it happened? Basically say eff it and let them both seek their levels? And in NO WAY am I suggesting its an acceptable solution. Just simply asking people who know way more about HD's then I.
Clutch action would be effected eventually......can cause binding, see page 157 of your manual.

Last edited by Oz Dan; 08-02-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?