Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
How can one dealership replace an entire transmission due to this issue because the Moco told them to, and then turn around and have to do a super long checklist of tests because that new transmission leaked also, and then another dealership hasn't heard a single word? Sounds like bullshit to me. MoCo is totally talking to and dealing with my dealership about this whole thing so where is the breakdown of communication? If the dealerships are waiting for the mothership to reach out to them about this, they're going to have to wait until they figure out what is causing the problem and then exactly what the fix is. They're not going to admit to the problem without a solution first.
Just spoke to 2 more dealerships and the same answer. They haven't heard anything about this.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Same story from two large dealerships near me. I don't have any reason to believe anyone is lying, either here on the forum, or in real life at the dealerships. The dealership service manager at the bigger of the two has always been straight with me, for a lot of years now.

It's confusing and I really don't know how big the problem is. The forums are an extremely small percentage of the total bikes out there in the wild but 7 out of 7 in one shop is pretty damning.
Remember if you add my two personal '17's its 9 for 9. HD knows about it as they have a list of items they are having the dealerships that call in on it do. While it's not a TSB I have seen the email printed out with two pages of checks and decisions to tell them what to do. So any dealer saying it does not exist is not looking or asking HD about it. I just picked up one of our bikes from the dealership and we are on drive for 100 miles then report back if it continues to transfer. They asked for a report every 100 miles for the next 500.

The following 8 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
FM500 (07-29-2017), mjwebb (07-28-2017), MotoJockey (07-28-2017), ocezam (07-29-2017), RBWIDE (07-29-2017), smitty901 (07-28-2017), StevieRay59 (07-29-2017), TomcatCV62 (07-30-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Remember if you add my two personal '17's its 9 for 9. HD knows about it as they have a list of items they are having the dealerships that call in on it do. While it's not a TSB I have seen the email printed out with two pages of checks and decisions to tell them what to do. So any dealer saying it does not exist is not looking or asking HD about it. I just picked up one of our bikes from the dealership and we are on drive for 100 miles then report back if it continues to transfer. They asked for a report every 100 miles for the next 500.
oh I'm sure that 100 miles you put on it will be like 10,000 when you're done with it! be safe out there tho..

thanks Steve, sounds like a MOCO breakthrough may be coming soon from you pushing them the way you have been!

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 03:44 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Settertude
I don't like the sounds of that. No problem with mine, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
Yeah but are you running your bike over 4500 rpm often? If not you may still have the problem and not be aware of it.

Those people that post that these are "touring" bikes and really shouldn't see 4500 rpm are saying much more about their riding style than anything relevant about this issue. I really don't take mine over 4K rpm that often but $hit it should be capable of it when I want to do it. I spent $25k on the damn thing. Apparently I do run it that hard enough times to document the problem is on my own bike.

Peace out...

Old 07-29-2017, 03:47 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
They're not going to admit to the problem without a solution first.
Yeah, that's the part that scares me the most. I've only got a bit over 1 year left on my warranty. I'm feeling that the "solutions" discovered by Steve Cole et al will be my only recourse and the cost will be out of MY pocket.

Last edited by ocezam; 07-29-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:48 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
..this will shake out at some point soon I suspect due to the increased awareness, exposure and visibility occurring recently
Damn I hope so...

Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
thanks Steve, sounds like a MOCO breakthrough may be coming soon from you pushing them the way you have been!
I really hope you are correct. But I remember the old saying that says "Just because you can lead an old horse to water does not necessarily mean you can make him drink". I will remain optimistic on this issue but I have seen too many times when they wiggled out of fixing known design problems. The trick here is going to be how much public exposure this gets. If enough people complain to the Feds it might rise to the status of a safety issue and the government would step in like they did with the hose clamp deal. This looks like a huge safety issue to me if a transmission locks up and the bike goes skidding down the highway. I wonder if anyone has actually had a transmission fail due to lockup yet? At the very least it is going to be a reliability issue on the transmissions that have low fluid in them due to fluid transfer from tranny to primary. Eventually those dry bearings are going to fail and our 24 month warranty would be over.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 PM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Well it definitely has enough publicity to cause people not to buy one, I am one of them. I had a deal made on a Road King special, after researching there's no way. Until those problems are worked out and Harley owns up to them, I'm not buying a M8.

ocezam (08-02-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:47 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Right

Originally Posted by ocezam
Yeah but are you running your bike over 4500 rpm often? If not you may still have the problem and not be aware of it.

Those people that post that these are "touring" bikes and really shouldn't see 4500 rpm are saying much more about their riding style than anything relevant about this issue. I really don't take mine over 4K rpm that often but $hit it should be capable of it when I want to do it. I spent $25k on the damn thing. Apparently I do run it that hard enough times to document the problem is on my own bike.

Peace out...
And to those folks I would say 'what the hell difference does that make?' I believe the redline for a non-after market tuned M8 is around 5200 RPM, right? (and I said that because we know that most non-harley tuners will let you raise the rev limit) Well, that being the case, it damn sure ought to be able to do that, or close, without pumping your transmission dry. Hey, Harley, I have a *cheap* fix for you. Send out a letter to your customers advising them that the new redline for the M8 is 4000 RPM, and exceeding it will void their warranty. That should 'fix' the problem. Idiots.

ocezam (08-02-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 06:05 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,380 Likes on 5,508 Posts

For me the case is not that if I ride below 4000 rpms it won't do it. It should not do it with in any of the factory operating range. It does even if all you do it roll on to get into traffic then back off. It just takes longer to show up. Some time Tuesday I will open primary again and see if any has migrated after the service they did to check it.
At least it is documented in my case and if it gets worst down the road I have something to work with.
Mine with out a doubt in 1350 test transferred 1 3/4 to 2 OZs Those 1350 miles were not on a DYNO but real world riding with in the operating range. The Bike also has no mods done to the engine or Trans.
What first had me wondering was coming home from a 3,000 mile trip. When I drain everything. When I opened primary with bike straight up some ran out . It should not.
When I looked in , level was higher than I had filled filled it. I let it go at first but it bother me. Then Started the test and it proved it.
If all you are doing is looking at Trans dip stick you may not notice 2 OZ's. You need to be checking primary .

ocezam (08-02-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?