Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:25 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Dumbass double posted.....

Last edited by MotoJockey; 07-28-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 07-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

I`m not sure of I`m disappointed or amazed that the Moco has not made some form of statement about the fluid transfer in many bikes.
Is it a case of we`ve got their money so f*** them!?

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I think it's

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
I`m not sure of I`m disappointed or amazed that the Moco has not made some form of statement about the fluid transfer in many bikes.
More likely that they're afraid of the potential cost of fixing lots of bikes under warranty. Providing, of course that you haven't used an unapproved tuner, or non-EPA compliant slip-ons on your bike, which we all know is the root cause of this issue. (Sorry, had to get that in there &#128526

Old 07-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
I wonder just what percentage of bikes are having this problem.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default We'll...

Originally Posted by Settertude
I wonder just what percentage of bikes are having this problem.
One of the guys trying to chase down this problem said out of the seven M8 bikes he's had in his shop, all 7 had the issue. That leads me to believe that the problem is, potentially at least, huge. 7 out of 7? I think I'm ruling out coincidence at this point.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
One of the guys trying to chase down this problem said out of the seven M8 bikes he's had in his shop, all 7 had the issue. That leads me to believe that the problem is, potentially at least, huge. 7 out of 7? I think I'm ruling out coincidence at this point.
I don't like the sounds of that. No problem with mine, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

I just spoke to service at a good sized dealership where I bought my bike and they deny having heard anything from MoCo on the migration issue.

Not sure what I think about that.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:14 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

I just spoke to service at a good sized dealership where I bought my bike and they deny having heard anything from MoCo on the migration issue.

Same story from two large dealerships near me. I don't have any reason to believe anyone is lying, either here on the forum, or in real life at the dealerships. The dealership service manager at the bigger of the two has always been straight with me, for a lot of years now.

It's confusing and I really don't know how big the problem is. The forums are an extremely small percentage of the total bikes out there in the wild but 7 out of 7 in one shop is pretty damning.

The following users liked this post:
Settertude (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

How can one dealership replace an entire transmission due to this issue because the Moco told them to, and then turn around and have to do a super long checklist of tests because that new transmission leaked also, and then another dealership hasn't heard a single word? Sounds like bullshit to me. MoCo is totally talking to and dealing with my dealership about this whole thing so where is the breakdown of communication? If the dealerships are waiting for the mothership to reach out to them about this, they're going to have to wait until they figure out what is causing the problem and then exactly what the fix is. They're not going to admit to the problem without a solution first.

Last edited by MotoJockey; 07-28-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

I think, possibly outside this and other forums, us repeat owners are used to the trans fluid being a set it and forget it affair, and those taking their bikes in for service it's not going to be noticed by a tech unless it was woefully low during the drain..they probably just pull the drain plug and immediately commence multitasking without noticing or paying attention to how much comes out..probably holds true for DIY'ers as well..it's just never been an issue so no reason to suspect anything is amiss..this will shake out at some point soon I suspect due to the increased awareness, exposure and visibility occurring recently

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
ocezam (08-02-2017), RBWIDE (07-29-2017), smitty901 (07-28-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?