Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle

Secret Squirel........No wonder we feel like we are getting the run around from the dealers and MOCO! Mine has had the dye put in, gettin the miles up on it so when they open the primary it PUKES ALL OVER THEM! LOL!
Remember that transfer occurs faster as engine RPM is higher. So if you ride around at or below 3500 transfer is low and takes a long time to occur. Take the engine up to 5000 RPM while riding and run it there, it transfers much more in a shorter period of time. It does not seem to be MPH that makes it transfer, so 2nd gear, 5000 RPM and x miles will get you much more transfer than 4th gear, 2000 RPM and x miles.

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I wonder if its all bikes this is happening on. I will be running mine hard this weekend for sure.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,379 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I wonder if its all bikes this is happening on. I will be running mine hard this weekend for sure.
At first I said no. Opened primary and checked it every 100 miles. At 1350 miles no doubt it migrated about 1 3/4 OZs maybe 2 . Just checking the trans dip stick was not showing much there is some wiggle room with that and an OZ or 2 may not show. But open primary with bike straight up , if there is more in there than you put in that is all you need to see. I had planned to stop checking at 1500 miles if it showed nothing by that time.
The UV trace I had added in trans was just starting to show under strong UV light in drops hanging on clutch . When it mixes in it does not show as quickly.
Now that it is back I will see if it is fixed or not.

TomcatCV62 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

We own two and they both do it. I have had 7 more in the shop and they all do it. So you figure we are 7 for 7 on customers and 2 for 2 on ours. One of ours is back at the dealership for it and are waiting on the outcome of a long list HD gave them to do. So far they have replaced the crankshaft seal and sleeve, drained both primary and transmission, remove clutch slave for inspection of the rubber seal on the slave and removed the pushrod to make sure the passageway is clear. They are going to ride it some then let me know if they see transfer. If not we are to pick it up and bring it back in 100 miles for them to check again. The bikes not got but 92 miles on it to begin with!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks to all who have posted, especially Steve Cole.

This thread/subject REALLY pisses me off.

My M8 is definitely passing fluid from the trans to the primary. It happens much faster when I ride it harder. It transfers much more fluid at higher RPM. But I can ride it easily to and from work for weeks and little or no fluid transfer.

I've been monitoring my bike and this thread for weeks.

I'm getting ready to go to Sturgis soon. I do not want to take my bike in for warranty right now. ****, I have to put in for vacation in December of each year just to get the weeks off that I want in the summer. I AM going to Sturgis this year come hell or high water. I'll bring along a couple quarts of Formula plus and a correct allen wrench. My primary drive fluid will be set slightly low to accept the extra fluid that inevitably will transfer from the gearbox. I'll ride the bike easier to make the fluid transfer less.

It really sucks that you have to make these kinds of concessions on a bike designed and built in the 21 century. F**k I'll trade for a Gold Wing when I get back if I have to.

When I get home my bike is going into the dealer. I truly hope I don't get the run around. This thread was started three months ago. It is seriously depressing that the MoCo doesn't seem to want to deal with this problem. Too many people have posted on this forum, and other forums, describing this problem. The problem is definitely real. It should not be up to Steve Cole and others to solve this F'n problem. The factory has huge resources to figure this out.

I've been riding Harley's over 30 years. Been riding motorcycles since '72. The M8 is the first Harley I've bothered to buy new. It's the only bike I've had any real problems with. This is pretty F'd up.

Yeah, I'm pissed off...

Thanks again to all who've posted with suggestions for a fix, but F**K we shouldn't have to find the fix for this for ourselves!

Peace out....

Old 07-26-2017, 08:29 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Wow, that sucks. He's right though. Ok guys I'm going to see if my bike is messed up this weekend. As I understand the problem, here is what I have to do:

Check trans fluid before I ride, hot or cold?

Get into the throttle. Over 4000 rpm or higher? Will it hurt the bike, is it ok to do that?

Check trans fluid level when I'm done...... that's it?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

How many miles do you have on your bike since the last tranny fill? Did you have the 1000 mile service done yet? If you have racked up a good amount of miles since the 1000 miler, there's no need to wait till this weekend. Just go out to the garage right now and drain & measure how much oil comes out of both, the tranny and the primary.... using your wife's cheap measuring cup of course........ ask me how I know this little detail!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
How many miles do you have on your bike since the last tranny fill? Did you have the 1000 mile service done yet? If you have racked up a good amount of miles since the 1000 miler, there's no need to wait till this weekend. Just go out to the garage right now and drain & measure how much oil comes out of both, the tranny and the primary.... using your wife's cheap measuring cup of course........ ask me how I know this little detail!
I have 50 miles since the service.....sorry to hear that moto.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

I have 50 miles since the service.....sorry to hear that moto.
Got it....... have fun this weekend!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Wow, that sucks. He's right though. Ok guys I'm going to see if my bike is messed up this weekend. As I understand the problem, here is what I have to do:

Check trans fluid before I ride, hot or cold?

Get into the throttle. Over 4000 rpm or higher? Will it hurt the bike, is it ok to do that?

Check trans fluid level when I'm done...... that's it?
check cold on jiffy stand, top off to Full if not already at
ride it they way you like to and want to ride it for a few hundred miles
check cold on jiffy stand

TomcatCV62 (07-27-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?