Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

New bearing on the left and old bearing on the right. The two bearings are very close to the same but the color of the bearing retainer is different. I've got a call out to the bearing people to try and get the difference in the specifications on the two of them. The old bearing is the one that has been used in the 6 speeds forever so why the change and why only one of them? Sitting them on a light the new bearing allows more light to shine through but I am not so sure part of that, is not due to the light color plastic being used on the new retainer and the old bearing retainer being black plastic.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_2603.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
New bearing on the left and old bearing on the right. The two bearings are very close to the same but the color of the bearing retainer is different. I've got a call out to the bearing people to try and get the difference in the specifications on the two of them. The old bearing is the one that has been used in the 6 speeds forever so why the change and why only one of them? Sitting them on a light the new bearing allows more light to shine through but I am not so sure part of that, is not due to the light color plastic being used on the new retainer and the old bearing retainer being black plastic.
Is it possible that the new bearing retainer might act as a shield that keeps oil from passing through?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Is it possible that the new bearing retainer might act as a shield that keeps oil from passing through?
It shields no more and possible less than the old bearing.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
28 oz
Yes, yes, yes..... LOL, that's what I meant.... so sorry. Thank you for the feedback.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Hey Motojockey, any updates?????

Thanks

Eagle Out
Well........funny you should ask. I received a phone call from the shop this afternoon and apparently the Mothership has asked them to run a battery of tests and checks on my bike. I'm not sure, at this point, exactly what they are going to do, and if it ends up being super duper secret squirrel stuff, I may never know. I've already expressed to the service guys that because of the kinda guy I am and the type of work that I do, (I fix ****), I REALLY GOT'S TA KNOW what that deal is with this thing, so they have been sharing some of what they know, but we'll see what I can find out. They're going to come pick my bike up from work next week and they said they'll need it for a few days. The fun just never stops, huh?

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Can't remember, did they give you a loaner at least?

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 07-26-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Can't remember, did they give you a loaner at least?
Are YOU talkin' ta ME???

If so, the answer is no. I might ask for one this time though. It's 47 miles to my house from work and it gets inconvenient to get home sometimes.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Well........funny you should ask. I received a phone call from the shop this afternoon and apparently the Mothership has asked them to run a battery of tests and checks on my bike. I'm not sure, at this point, exactly what they are going to do, and if it ends up being super duper secret squirrel stuff, I may never know. I've already expressed to the service guys that because of the kinda guy I am and the type of work that I do, (I fix ****), I REALLY GOT'S TA KNOW what that deal is with this thing, so they have been sharing some of what they know, but we'll see what I can find out. They're going to come pick my bike up from work next week and they said they'll need it for a few days. The fun just never stops, huh?

Secret Squirel........No wonder we feel like we are getting the run around from the dealers and MOCO! Mine has had the dye put in, gettin the miles up on it so when they open the primary it PUKES ALL OVER THEM! LOL!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
New bearing looks different in these pics. New in -06B bearing housing last fall comes from intro engine cutaway display.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-iwtsmbm.png  
Attached Images  

Last edited by PA1195; 07-26-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,380 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
They check Trans cover gasket check some O ring check rod . Got mine back yesterday. The replaced cover gasket. Seems HD Sees it as a vent issue. read the Email HD sent to the dealers it does not involve bearings.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?