Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 AM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
actually I did recall having this issue years ago. Its been awhile. Thanks for the link. Glad he got it figured out.
I don't see in that thread where he got it figured out.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

TomctCV62, Did the issue go away after the dealer drained, (probably didn't measure), and refilled the tranny during the 1000 mile service?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by aviaator
I don't see in that thread where he got it figured out.
post 22 looks like it was his vent tube. Unless I'm reading it wrong

Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 AM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
post 22 looks like it was his vent tube. Unless I'm reading it wrong
That's not the way I read it. He was replying to ripsaw's question about that tube already having been replaced (so the OP doesn't think that's the problem). I'll continue this in that thread or offline with you so we don't clutter up this thread.

The following users liked this post:
Wide Open Cycles (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
TomctCV62, Did the issue go away after the dealer drained, (probably didn't measure), and refilled the tranny during the 1000 mile service?
Its in Michigan, Im picking it up tomorrow. dropped it off last week. Im in chicago area, I have a place there and keep it there. Riding in Michigan is a lot nicer than riding in Chicago.......

MotoJockey (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Agreed. I am a new member to harley forums but I've been reading them for about a year. I joined when I bought my M8. I had a 2010 Ultra Classic. Loved it, 20000 miles and it ran like a top. I found out about the transmission issues right before the 1000 mile service so I asked him about the specific problem. He told me the story about calling harley on it. Which did set off a red light, if he spoke with someone at harley, probably means they had an issue at the dealer. Ok so let me run this pass you guys, may be something probably nothing. With my background and my job I really shouldve known better. Im kinda embarrassed to even say anything, but here goes. During my initial 1000 miles I did a lot of riding in Michigan. I went all the way up the west coast of the state. I use the trans to help engine break, not unusual. Sometimes you have to stop fast and I just use the breaks and then I downshift more than 2 gears. When I did that, going down 2 gears It felt like nothing was there, the gear shift felt like it was just floating, it didnt engage. then it would catch. I didnt think anything about it because i know the synchronizer was just spinning. I never checked the trans fluid..... not once. I know, big mistake. Is this a sign of low oil in tranny? I will have to check the trans and engine oil everytime i ride from now on. It was never an issue on my 2010, I never gave it a second thought. You guys ever feel that when you downshift ? Is that normal? The guy that lives across the street from me said dont worry....he has 2 harleys, not M8's though
There aren't any synchronizers in an HD tranny... If when you are down shifting you managed to bang gears real hard you might of damaged the tranny in some way but HD trannies clunk pretty good without issue. If you simply tapped the lever on a down shift, it might have not gone all the way into the next gear.. With the exception of the anti-rattle first, the trans is pretty much the same as the trans in a 6 speed Twin-cam. Most internal parts can interchange.

TomcatCV62 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Don't the 2017 M-8 models run the Slip & Assist clutch? Could that contribute to the feeling he got when downshifting?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Sometimes you have to stop fast and I just use the breaks and then I downshift more than 2 gears. When I did that, going down 2 gears It felt like nothing was there, the gear shift felt like it was just floating, it didnt engage. then it would catch. I didnt think anything about it because i know the synchronizer was just spinning. I never checked the trans fluid..... not once. I know, big mistake. Is this a sign of low oil in tranny?
yes it happens to me on occasion and no on the trans fluid level being the culprit..just last weekend I was approaching a stop sign on a highway and I was in 6th gear..lazily I just decided to pull the clutch in, slow down first to almost stopped and then downshift..which is not typical for me to do instead of downshifting all the way....it wouldn't downshift all the way down right away and ended up rolling through the stop sign in 2nd gear..just weird behavior..I chalk it up to the drivetrain not liking to be treated that way and will stop doing that

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
prowler58 (07-21-2017), stixvrad (07-21-2017), TomcatCV62 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

No synchronizer, Yeah it didnt feel right. I avoid downshifting multiple gears, had to stop fast. When I downshifted 2 gears, there was nothing there. Thats the easiest way to explain it. I was tapping it down (gear shifter) and didnt feel anything, it was as though it wouldnt go into gear. Ive owned 6 harleys and multiple metrics, this was the first time i could recall that feeling. I noted it and moved on. When I downshift one gear at a time, everything is good. Just weird I guess. Ive been riding motorcycles for over 35 years, so Im not new to this.

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Don't the 2017 M-8 models run the Slip & Assist clutch? Could that contribute to the feeling he got when downshifting?
Possible. Never had that happen on any other Harley. Not that im in the habit of downshifting more than one gear, but sometimes you have to.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

No synchronizer, Yeah it didnt feel right. I avoid downshifting multiple gears, had to stop fast. When I downshifted 2 gears, there was nothing there. Thats the easiest way to explain it. I was tapping it down (gear shifter) and didnt feel anything, it was as though it wouldnt go into gear. Ive owned 6 harleys and multiple metrics, this was the first time i could recall that feeling. I noted it and moved on. When I downshift one gear at a time, everything is good. Just weird I guess. Ive been riding motorcycles for over 35 years, so Im not new to this.
Well, I've been riding and wrenching for over 50 years including working as a mechanic (and repairing trannies) for 10 and it can happen on any bike.. It don't happen very often tho.. Depends on RPMs when down shifting but tranny may not go into the next gear.. It's same the fact that you can't shift though all the gears with the motor and bike stopped unless you rock the bike back and forth.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?