Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
For those having this issue, I'd be inclined to have the dealer do a 3 hole change, then ride the chit out of it till the tranny locks up and then get a new one under warrenty. Having dealer do the oil eliminates the owner as faulty.
So we are sure that the replacement transmissions are good to go and fix the issues or?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I hate to say it but your better about it than I am. I just figure the damn thing should work and I should not have to worry about it. If I run it up the RPM band as it allows me to do, as supplied by HD, the damn thing should work properly. Since I've already run my transmission pretty dry, not know what was happening, I am worried about it and the warranty time left. My luck it would be fine until the day after the warranty is out. I do not expect them to pay for things I may or maynot add, but Damn this is on the stock bike! I've got two of them that both do it bad enough, so you can see where my luck lies.
Steve, The transmission bolts directly to the primary inner cover correct? If that is correct, what kind of seal do they have in there? what kind of seal did they have in the TC? Im thinking, if they cant retrofit that TC seal, or one like it, then it would take a new design to fix this problem. Granted, im saying seal, it may not be a seal. Let me ask you this as well: If the engine is revved in nuetral to 4k to 5k RPM, is there fluid migration? when the bike is in gear and the bike reaches 4k-5k RPM, there is fluid migration? If the later is the case, then the oil rides the shaft and passes through the seal to the primary.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I guess that I am paranoid but I live in fear of the MOCO issuing a new service bulletin to the effect that they don't recommend that owners of new 2017 M8 engines rev to higher than 3500 rpm. Under no circumstances should engine rpm reach 4000-5000 rpm because the transmission will likely empty it's contents into the primary case resulting in no lubrication for the gear box. Death or serious injury can likely occur if engine rpm exceeds 4-5000 rpm whereby your factory warranty will be voided. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have created. Thanks-The MOCO
This post was a waste of keystrokes. Never happen.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:35 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I love that Laguna Orange...... nice bike

Old 07-20-2017, 01:36 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I love that Laguna Orange...... nice bike
Thanks, man!

Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Steve, The transmission bolts directly to the primary inner cover correct? If that is correct, what kind of seal do they have in there? what kind of seal did they have in the TC? Im thinking, if they cant retrofit that TC seal, or one like it, then it would take a new design to fix this problem. Granted, im saying seal, it may not be a seal. Let me ask you this as well: If the engine is revved in nuetral to 4k to 5k RPM, is there fluid migration? when the bike is in gear and the bike reaches 4k-5k RPM, there is fluid migration? If the later is the case, then the oil rides the shaft and passes through the seal to the primary.
You have to remember where the output shaft is. The transmission mainshaft and output shaft go from the transmission through a bearing and seal then the secondary belt drive pulley goes on. It continues into the back of the inner primary through a seal and bearing again and into the primary where your clutch assemble goes on. The ONLY possible way for the fluid to get into the Primary from the Transmission is through the center opening in the mainshaft. As for running at 4 - 5K in neutral, that is not something I have done, nor do I plan too. Transfer occurs in ANY gear at engine speeds above 3500 RPM. The higher the RPM the faster the transfer rates are.

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Well let me ask this. Does HD not have a Task force team or something of the sorts? My goodness. I really find it hard to believe they can't figure this one out.

I feel the same about the oil pressure issues. Can they really not figure out why people are still having oil pressure faults? We are still seeing post where they are throwing sensors at a bike and if that doesn't fix it hit it with an oil pump. Edit:Remember, it's been almost a year now since the first oil pressure issues showed up.

Love the bike or not, love Harley Davidson or not, if Harley Davidson was any other company besides Harley Davidson who has such a loyal following, they would no doubt be out of business.

Last edited by Macrunner; 07-20-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Well hell. Buddy of mine had issue with the clutch on a '17 FLHTKL. Bike was found to have aftermarket bars, blahblahblah...at 6300 miles.

Charged him $126 to look at it. Know what they found? Excess fluid in the primary. They also noted he hadn't done his maintenance there. Adjusted fluid level ( no word about checking trans ), Road checked it and gave it back.

Somewhere there's a lawsuit waiting to happen here...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
As close as we are to the 2018 models, I think it has become obvious that even the 2018 bikes are going to experience the same problem since it has not yet been identified and corrected. I'm quite certain the 2018 assembly has long been started. Unfortunately, this is not going to do harley any good with already sluggish sales. I find it almost hard to believe they have not identified this problem. With their engineering department knowing how this bike has been assembled, you would think they would have the only possibilities isolated. It must also be a hard pill for them to swallow assembling 2018 motorcycles knowing there's an issue. What a costly event that is going to be.
I'm guessing there are some sleepless nights. Engineers and principals.
My Ultra Limited seems fine so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:59 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

I hope all of you realize that this has become a better soap opera than anything on TV. I'm interested to see how the motor company gets out of this mess. I just got to believe the name of this hit show is" As the Wheel Turns"

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?