Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

My 2 cents. I was in the Navy, went to BT school for 16 weeks and have worked around mechanical machinery my whole adult life. I wont claim to know as much as you guys but sometimes an answer comes from an unlikely source. Transmission fluid is migrating to the primary. The level of fluid in transmission goes down, primary goes up. That in itself is telling. A bad seal will allow fluid migration both ways, right? If this is moving in one direction only, then it seems that the problem my be in the transmission, forcing fluid in one direction only, not the motor. I could be totally wrong here but just my 2 cents......

Old 07-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
If there were a vacuum crankcase>primary>transmission would it be detectable at the transmission's breather? Install a gauge on the breather and see what's happening at rpm.

Gary
That has been my thought for quite some time. Doesn't seem like it would be real difficult but might provide some answers or at least rule that out.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:06 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I'm not trying to speak for Steve, but i think he was saying his primary level got up to the mid point of the seal after the transmission fluid migrated into the primary. And if that's the case and a vacuum is being pulled from the engine case why didn't it pull primary/trans fluid into the engine.
Oh I getcha. The short answer would be that he would have had to test it that way for a good long time. It wouldn't be a 1-to-1-to-1 transfer rate. The primary would first have to be filled halfway up the clutch pack (that would take awhile and probably more than 1 quart to get it that high) and from that point on, continued testing with a super over filled primary, just to see if oil enters the engine. Has anyone verified that kind of testing is happening? Cause it sounds like people are running/testing, finding more oil that should be in the primary (less than a quart) and then evacuating it. If that is the case, you probably won't see any oil transfer into the engine. Probably need two quarts or more knowing where 32 ounces puts the level on the clutch pack during normal maintenance.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PA1195
If there were a vacuum crankcase>primary>transmission would it be detectable at the transmission's breather? Install a gauge on the breather and see what's happening at rpm.

Gary
Better yet, block the tube, run the engine for a bit, unblock the tube and see if air rushes in (vacuum). Cause in a properly working system, air should rush out...

Old 07-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Oh I getcha. The short answer would be that he would have had to test it that way for a good long time. It wouldn't be a 1-to-1-to-1 transfer rate. The primary would first have to be filled halfway up the clutch pack (that would take awhile and probably more than 1 quart to get it that high) and from that point on, continued testing with a super over filled primary, just to see if oil enters the engine. Has anyone verified that kind of testing is happening? Cause it sounds like people are running/testing, finding more oil that should be in the primary (less than a quart) and then evacuating it. If that is the case, you probably won't see any oil transfer into the engine. Probably need two quarts or more knowing where 32 ounces puts the level on the clutch pack during normal maintenance.
I think the thing is, it's HD's problem to figure out not ours. I'll do some testing as time allows, but I only have customer bikes to test with and as long as they are covered under warranty there is no reason they should pay me to fix it. So other then simple quick tests I won't waste my time. If and when HD comes up with a fix they'll take care of the bikes that currently have a problem (unless they don't find a fix until the model year 2019 which will put some of the bikes out of warranty. (that would be interesting).

I have a stage IV 114 that is supposed to be coming on for a tune, if it does and with the customers permission I have a few things I would like to test.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Better yet, block the tube, run the engine for a bit, unblock the tube and see if air rushes in (vacuum). Cause in a properly working system, air should rush out...
Don't block the tube.. Blow up a balloon and place on the end of the vent.. Look for the balloon to change size..

Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

I think the thing is, it's HD's problem to figure out not ours. I'll do some testing as time allows, but I only have customer bikes to test with and as long as they are covered under warranty there is no reason they should pay me to fix it. So other then simple quick tests I won't waste my time. If and when HD comes up with a fix they'll take care of the bikes that currently have a problem (unless they don't find a fix until the model year 2019 which will put some of the bikes out of warranty. (that would be interesting).

I have a stage IV 114 that is supposed to be coming on for a tune, if it does and with the customers permission I have a few things I would like to test.
You know all of us here REALLY appreciate you and Steve looking into things. No pressure, no expectation. I just like talking about the stuff is all, not trying to harp or poke holes or push. Just talking. You guys have all my respect. We'd all be totally in the dark without industry guys. HD usually doesn't have a clue and if they have a clue, they keep everyone in the dark.

Appreciate it Sir.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Don't block the tube.. Blow up a balloon and place on the end of the vent.. Look for the balloon to change size..
Smart as hell. Good one Max.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,125 Likes on 3,645 Posts

I'm with you on this one. Its great there are folks willing to put time in on trying to figure it out. It's not unusual for bike owners to be into the technical part of it. But ultimately, HD better figure it out what's happening to maintain a solid image.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
You know all of us here REALLY appreciate you and Steve looking into things. No pressure, no expectation. I just like talking about the stuff is all, not trying to harp or poke holes or push. Just talking. You guys have all my respect. We'd all be totally in the dark without industry guys. HD usually doesn't have a clue and if they have a clue, they keep everyone in the dark.

Appreciate it Sir.
I didn't take it that way at all. I'm not doing much in the line of testing though. Mainly just verifying problems for customers to let the dealer handle it under warranty. I'm a 1 man shop (well, just me and my dog Max and a buddy that pops in to lend a hand when time allows). If I was in the business of manufacturing and selling parts I might look into the causes a little further, but they way I have to look at it is nobody would, or even should, pay me to fix this problem. End of the day this is HD's problem to work out and TBH I don't think they are closer today than they were 2 months ago to a fix (other than being able to eliminate some things that they tried). All of these bikes with these issues should be covered under warranty. Regardless of what the EPA decree states they have problems and should take care of them. Only reason I could see doing a bunch of testing on these problems would be if I had one and the dealer/MoCo wouldn't work with me on the fix. Other than bragging right on the internet to be the person that disovers HD's problem there is no reason. I have some theories, some I will be checking as bikes come in (and with the customers permission) but they are very simple tests and they aren't going to be fixes, just trying to locate the root cause of the problem(s). I'm just as curious as everyone else what the fix will be, I just can't donate a bunch of my time trying to figure it out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wide Open Cycles:
lp (07-19-2017), stixvrad (07-19-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?