Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Thanks for the offer but I really don't need any pics of the TC 6 speeds.. A close up on the scissor gear with the shafts in the plate on an M8 would be nice tho.
parts manager friend of mine thinks they have one coming in to tear apart, he's going to try to get some pictures for us. I'll let you know

Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Any chance you can get the number of that bulletin?
Went to the dealer to get the state inspection. While I was there I ask him about the bulletin. So he started crawl fishing stating there wasn't an official bulletin, but they were just aware it.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the past two days, I've been unable to find neutral. It's been smooth as butter, but now is causing me issues... The primary being overfilled is a possible reason (pg 2-26)... I'll have to check the transmission and primary levels in the morning after the bike cools down.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 AM
free...
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
procedure is on jiffy stand, cold (room temp), screw dipstick in until only the gasket makes contact and check
Take care about how some dealers are checking tranny level when refilling: upright position instead on jiffy stand... more often than desired and in most of the cases because of ignorance...

This is what happened to my FLHTK 1K REV and left me confused about a possible tranny oil migration. After another 1K miles there was a significant lack of oil and I could discovered that the mech had done it wrong because of ignorance.

I'm regularly checking it, now. Still too early to draw conclusions.

My question is if anybody knows the difference in oil quantity between uprigt and jiffy stand positions.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by free...; 07-18-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,380 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by free...
Take care about how some dealers are checking tranny level when refilling: uprigt position instead on jiffy stand... more often than desired and in most of the cases because of ignorance...

This is what happened in my FLHTK 1K REV and left me confused about a possible tranny oil migration. After another 1K miles there was a significant lack of oil and I could discovered that the mech had done it wrong because of ignorance.

I'm regularly checking it, now. Still too early to draw conclusions.

My question is if anybody knows the difference in oil quantity between uprigt and jiffy stand positions.

Thanks in advance
I swapped dipsticks back and forth from my wife's Freewheeler and my King and the levels were the same

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
free... (07-17-2017), stixvrad (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,693 Likes on 1,673 Posts

I swapped dipsticks back and forth from my wife's Freewheeler and my King and the levels were the same
So how did you get her Freewheeler on the Jiffy stand?

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Since reading this thread I've been checking both our CVOS fingers crossed it's all good both have little less then 2000 miles.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
So how did you get her Freewheeler on the Jiffy stand?
I think he checked the level on his RK then compared them to the Freewheeler and they were the same.

mjwebb (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,380 Likes on 4,785 Posts

yeah I did this because I was checking hers (which hasn't had a transfer issue) and noticed her dipstick was not chrome polished and easy to read so I swapped them...just noticed when checking both that they were the same level with the dipsticks being identical, whether on jiffy or upright after having drained and filled both the same..they don't have jiffy and upright marks like the engine oil so irrelevant

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

yeah I did this because I was checking hers (which hasn't had a transfer issue) and noticed her dipstick was not chrome polished and easy to read so I swapped them...just noticed when checking both that they were the same level with the dipsticks being identical, whether on jiffy or upright after having drained and filled both the same
I did not know that some of the dipsticks (Freewheelers) were not chromed. Chromed dipsticks make about as much sense as putting teats on a door.
BTW, the only way an old fart like me can read the chromed dipstick is to roll it on a paper towel right after pulling out of the hole.
Thanks again MOCO.

mjwebb (07-17-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?