Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Anyhow, I'll let you know what happens after my Service Dept calls the Tech Service.......
So they don't consider the case closed (in your case)?

I am glad they have minimized your problem for the moment and you can ride anxiety free. I think you were one of the ones that had it bad. In my case it was only 2-3 ounces of transfer measured in 4,000 miles from my 1K to the 5K service. That is manageable but a problem none the less IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gamma742:
mjwebb (07-08-2017), MotoJockey (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Mine has been back to the dealer twice for it with nothing other than change fluids and check. This next time I will bring it back and remove derby cover in the service driveway so they can watch the fluid pour out. It's funny how some are getting new transmissions an others get told to change fluids and watch.
I would venture to guess that HD doesn't have a clue on the fix at this point. They are probably watching here hoping you figure it out for them. As far as some getting complete replacement transmissions, I believe that there is NO difference in the trans they are shipping out, they probably want complete, untouched problem transmissions back so they can dissect them in the lab and see if they can come up with a solution. Just like some of the earliest oil pressure issues when they were replacing the complete engine, they needed untouched engines to explore. It will all get resolved at some point, unfortunately some people will have to live with it until they do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wide Open Cycles:
cmashark (07-08-2017), stixvrad (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma742
So they don't consider the case closed (in your case)?

I am glad they have minimized your problem for the moment and you can ride anxiety free. I think you were one of the ones that had it bad. In my case it was only 2-3 ounces of transfer measured in 4,000 miles from my 1K to the 5K service. That is manageable but a problem none the less IMO.
No, this case is far from closed as far as I'm concerned...... nor is it anxiety free, lol!

The following users liked this post:
Gamma742 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
As far as some getting complete replacement transmissions, I believe that there is NO difference in the trans they are shipping out,
My first post on this thread stated that I went from an oil level at the top of the "X" to just barely touching the bottom of the stick in 600 miles with my old transmission. I stated in a recent post that after well over 600 miles with the new transmission, that the oil level only dropped to the lower quadrant of the "X"..... so there is DEFINITELY a difference, just not a cure.

Infact, I just added 3 oz. of oil to bring the level back to the top of the "X" and have clocked 1,020 miles since the last refill on the new tranny. Again..... better, but not fixed.

Last edited by MotoJockey; 07-08-2017 at 01:13 PM.
StevieRay59 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:22 AM
BlkHillsBagger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't waded thru the almost 600 posts on this so maybe it's been addressed, but what are the chances of a transmission locking up at speed due to fluid being too low? After seeing some of the early posts about this, I checked mine and had to put in 20 oz to get it back to full. Will it take a wrongful death for the MoCo to acknowledge this? My motor went out last fall at 333 miles due to the piston oiler jet screw backing out. Now this. I've owned st least one Harley continuously since 1980. The MoCo won't see anymore of my money for a new bike again. I'd buy older used and rebuild before I'd continue contributing to their foibles.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,373 Likes on 4,781 Posts

I sure hope the right people at the Mothership are reading this Forum...

Old 07-08-2017, 07:18 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I sure hope the right people at the Mothership are reading this Forum...
Ya buddy, me too. Those factory guys have always been some of the tightest lipped people who ever sat between a pair of shoes. I am sure the lawyers would go into panic mode if anyone were to insinuate or suggest that a problem might even existed out in the field.
I feel that given the fact that Steve Cole has been on this issue like a biting sow for nearly what, two months now, that he is getting closer with each passing week to a cause. If it were an easy fix the MOCO would have already issued a service bulletin or a recall. We have to be patient.

The following 2 users liked this post by texaswiz:
mjwebb (07-08-2017), thereal142 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

How long until someone has the trans lock up solid due to lack of lube, then be told their warranty is void because they have aftermarket pipes on the bike.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-08-2017, 10:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,373 Likes on 4,781 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
How long until someone has the trans lock up solid due to lack of lube, then be told their warranty is void because they have aftermarket pipes on the bike.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
MOCO is going to have much bigger worries than voided warranty claims if a trans locks up causing an injury accident due to fluid transfer related failure

FM500 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

You know at least they could let the dealers aware to check on all fluid changes. I have asked three local dealers about this and none have a clue. HD get your head out of your AZZZZ..

stixvrad (07-10-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?