Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Almost every bike I have ever bought had a "pre ride" inspection routine. Fluids, tire pressures etc. Does every one do it? Of course not. I'll take my thumb and press on my tires to make sure they are not real low. I always look under my bike as I walk up to it before I get on it and look for any fluids or leaks. I do not routinely check my transmission level if I don't see any fluids on the ground or on the frame etc.

Had my first service completed then did a 2300 mile trip which was 967 to my destination, then ~450 miles in and around the vacation spot for a week and then 967 back home, all in one day at hi-way speeds 70-90 but rarely at prolonged rpm's exceeding 4500. I usually shift around 3500-3700 rpm's and cruise along in 6th @80 = 3000-3100 rpm's. Mine after the 2300 mile trip was spot on full and the fluid still looked clean and clear.

I'll keep an eye on it, but the only level I check routinely is the engine oil level and that's only because I bought the HD dip still with the temp/level monitor built in, so it is too easy to push the little button when I am getting gas to make sure all is well.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Yes, it will empty all but about 4 oz from the transmission into the primary. Yes, if you let it go this far you run the risk of transmission damage. Yes, it has been done and verified, so no guessing or your bothers uncles cousin told me so.

The following users liked this post:
HighCountry (09-13-2018)
Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Yes, it will empty all but about 4 oz from the transmission into the primary. Yes, if you let it go this far you run the risk of transmission damage. Yes, it has been done and verified, so no guessing or your bothers uncles cousin told me so.

We have those that have an opinion and those that are experiencing it, who do we suppose has the most accurate Info?

The following users liked this post:
Rowdy7 (01-02-2018)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv

We have those that have an opinion and those that are experiencing it, who do we suppose has the most accurate Info?
The MOCO has the most accurate info on it -- but it's going to COST them big time and they don't want to make repairs , that is to any one who does not complain about it and a lot to not let it go buy

EXAMPLE
1980 first year for the 5 speed -- LEAKED OIL -- well that's what happens when the Moco left off the VENT -- DUHHH , their fix -- leave the dipstick loose , well every owner tightened up the dipstick when they found it loose . Cost to the Moco $ 00.00 . Owners are still paying for it

You guys need to raise some hell at the MoCo

Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Hd is probably not going to acknowledge there is a problem until they have a solution.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 AM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I checked mine B4 a spirited ride yesterday. Today the trans oil is down a little from where it was. Looks like this truly is affecting us all. Damn it I like to run up to 5 grand when shifting sometimes just like everyone else when with my buddies out playing. Gonna be worse when I get cams installed this month by Jamie and a dyno tune. So wtf we supposed to do? Ride like old ladies and baby this 30$ grand bike. I'm missing my 2014 FLHTK more and more. I already had a new motor installed 2 weeks after I bought this bike. Oil pump failure at 700 mi. Now have only 3000 miles total on it and this crap is now a new problem. I would buy my old bike back in a heart beat, but it sold the same day I bought this problem child. Very disappointed with this bike. When is Harley going to recall these bikes and fix this BS?

Last edited by StevieRay59; 06-04-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
I checked mine B4 a spirited ride yesterday. Today the trans oil is down a little from where it was. Looks like this truly is affecting us all. Damn it I like to run up to 5 grand when shifting sometimes just like everyone else when with my buddies out playing. Gonna be worse when I get cams installed this month by Jamie and a dyno tune. So wtf we supposed to do? Ride like old ladies and baby this 30$ grand bike. I'm missing my 2014 FLHTK more and more. I already had a new motor installed 2 weeks after I bought this bike. Oil pump failure at 700 mi. Now have only 3000 miles total on it and this crap is now a new problem. I would buy my old bike back in a heart beat, but it sold the same day I bought this problem child. Very disappointed with this bike. When is Harley going to recall these bikes and fix this BS?
The first step before you can fix anything is admitting you have a problem. Once you admit something is wrong you set out to come up with a fix for the problem. As far as I can tell this transmission problem has not been admitted to by the MOCO. Surely they must be aware of it although they have not told us as much. So, until they step up to the plate and admit there is a problem with fluid transfer between the transmission and the primary case there is not much any of us can do except maybe tell our local shops what we are experiencing. If enough riders complain about this to the dealers the MOCO will hear about it. Whether or not they readily address the problem is anybodies guess. We can't force them to do anything against their will anymore than we can make them do the right thing. Bye the way, I have related my experience with this issue to my local shop foreman and he says he has not run into that yet. But if enough people start to mention it that might start to get the ball rolling on the MOCOs end. So I would urge everyone that is experiencing this issue to at least mention it to your local shop foreman at your dealership. I don't see this as a "safety" issue so the Feds are not likely to get involved but I do see it as a huge "reliability" issue.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:20 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I went to the shop to get some Formula 1, told the shop manager about it and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said I was the first to mention anything about it. Then he went on "how can it do that".
I think it would be better if we as a group started calling the Moco.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:45 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 270 Posts

What year's is this leak happening to ?????

So i don't buy one or anyone I know

!980 all over again

Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a thought, but why doesn't someone with an M8 simply send a sample of primary fluid to Blackstone Labs and ask them to test for the presence of gear oil if thats what you use in your transmission. They test a lot of stuff for all different types of vehicles and aircraft, so it shoud be a simple enough test for them. If primary fluid comes back positive for whatever your using in your transmssion then that would be prima facia evidence to present to the dealer and MoCo that there's a problem. It might be worth the $30 or so dollars for the test.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?