Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 PM
BLKDLX
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

The service bulletin is M1450, but I haven't seen it yet.
i'm talking about the migration of transmission fluid to the primary. How many bikes has actually documented this is happened to? I'm wondering if this is a problem for more than just a few bikes.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRKS
i'm talking about the migration of transmission fluid to the primary. How many bikes has actually documented this is happened to? I'm wondering if this is a problem for more than just a few bikes.
I started a thread on Facebook M8 friends page and at this stage well over half the respondents report no issue. The more replies the clearer this may become.

Can't get mine to do it as yet. Seems to me to be a component manufacturing issue given folks like smitty and myself can't get any transfer even hammering the motor.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

I had one in today, m8 with HD114 big bore. Head Hoggers Head work, Woods cams, Basanni 2:1, Vision. Drained 20 oz. Out of trans, 38oz out of primary (I spilled a little though) and 18 oz. Out of the sump. Unfortunately he has both issues. this was a,dealer build. I just did the tune and put in a Barnett Scorpion clutch.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I had one in today, m8 with HD114 big bore. Head Hoggers Head work, Woods cams, Basanni 2:1, Vision. Drained 20 oz. Out of trans, 38oz out of primary (I spilled a little though) and 18 oz. Out of the sump. Unfortunately he has both issues. this was a,dealer build. I just did the tune and put in a Barnett Scorpion clutch.
Any fluid transfer after the clutch?

Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Any fluid transfer after the clutch?
I didn't run it. I really am thinking about it but with the sumping issue I'm not sure I want to do it. If I knew for sure it was the oil pump not causing the sumping i wouldn't be concerned, but I sure would hate to have a piston jet screw come out on my watch. I'm not getting paid to fix it so I'll let him work it out with the dealer and the MoCo. Besides that, I have a busted hip that I'm waiting to heal and I have to rely on a bud to come move bikes on/off the lifts and the dyno. He didn't show up today lol.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRKS

I mixed up my threads, sorry about that. I haven't seen any service bulletin about the transmission to primary fluid migration.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

The service bulletin is M1450, but I haven't seen it yet.
That is the service bulletin about sumping. It can be caused by two issues.

1) Loose (or dislodged) piston jets

2) The higher RPM of the Stage III & IV kits does not allow for proper scavenging by the oil pump.

I haven't been able to read the contents of the bulletin yet, but know the MoCo has a 2 step check for sumping- 1) checking and/or remounting the piston jets and 2) replacing the oil pump with the newer design.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
When I pick the bike up today, they told me Harley had a bulletin about the issue. But, he also said they didn't know what was causing the problem.
So we're in the monitoring stage. They told me to come back in 2,000 miles.
Any chance you can get the number of that bulletin?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:30 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The dealers ARE aware of this issue. I'm currently on holiday with my bike, driving through Italy and Switzerland. Had to stop at the dealer in Brigs in Switzerland as I was running out of oil to refill the tranny. He said they were informed about the issue, but so far no one of the ones he sold seems to have it.
What I found out in the last two weeks on the road: constant driving on the Autobahn, very little transfer. Driving in the mountains with a lot of shifting and motor brake, heavy transfer (up to 0,2l in approx 100 miles).
I get my transmission replaced in August and I hope for the best.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I have to put in approximately 1oz of tranny fluid per month just notice after swamping from motor oil to a tranny oil. Have a appointment with my dealer just wondering if i should take out the rest of the tranny oil and go back to HD oil. Don't what any problems with the warranty not suppost to use Tranny oil.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?