Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
When I pick the bike up today, they told me Harley had a bulletin about the issue. But, he also said they didn't know what was causing the problem.
So we're in the monitoring stage. They told me to come back in 2,000 miles.
It's good news if HD have a bulletin about the issue......at least it's been acknowledged.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd like to see the Tech Service Bulletin.. It would sure make it easier to take it in for the warranty work.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Ok..... quick update.... not a happy update, but an update nonetheless.

Dealer dropped off my bike at work at 5:30 yesterday as I was getting off work. Climbed on it and rode it 47 miles home. Pulled it to the shop, kissed the wife and pulled the tranny dipstick out, wiped it off, and checked the level........ DRY!! Checked it 2 more times and found the level just barely touching the bottom of the stick. Drained the oil and measured 23oz. Put in the recommended 28 oz. of oil back in, (Mobil 1 Syn 20w50 V-Twin was all I had on the shelf), and rode it 56 miles. Checked the level and it was still halfway in the "X". While I was out, I picked up a bottle if Oil Dye for the tranny. I had asked the service dept if they had put any in and they said no, but I could if I wanted, so I did, along with about 2 more oz.'s of oil in the gearbox to make sure the level was at the top of the "X". So, what I saw was, either the dealer didn't put enough oil back into the gearbox and I read that level when I got home even tho there was actually no transfer of fluid, or there was transfer in only 47 miles. If there was transfer on the way home after work, why would there have been little or no transfer in the 56 miles I rode after changing out the oil? I don't know..... And as far as what school I went to....... read my signature below, lol!

So this is where I am. I have a full tranny with dye in it. I have a weekend of riding planned at Hollister. I have a qt of oil in my saddle bag and some wrenches. I'll let you know what I find out on the trip when I get back. And, I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent tranny swap, which as I stated earlier, came to the dealer in different shipments.

For the sceptic(s) reading this thread- See Repair Order attached. If I tell you something...... anything.......you can hang your hat on on it. Not a troll or a poser and don't really appreciate having someone elude to that. I realize you guys don't know who the ***** I am or what I'm about, but over time you'll see that I'm just a guy with a couple of bikes that like to ride, just like you. But I am also a mechanic that likes to troubleshoot, wrench, and repair. THAT'S what I do........
MOTOJOCKEY.......HOWD IT GO? UPDATE PLEASE!!! Quoted post was July 1.

Eagle Out

Old 07-06-2017, 06:45 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

After everyone went to bed last night I went out open primary, checked it with UV light. Nothing showing yet. Grand son is sleeping in a bit when he wakes up we will head out and put some more miles on it.
Hard to sort though all of the threads as to when each saw the migration. At first it seemed like it happens fast at over 4000 RPM's. In one post it happen in a short DYNO run bike must have been straight up. Then another hinted it was hard cornering that contributed to it. Then another mentioned compression braking. So far with the Trace in I have done my best to run it between 4000 rpm's and red line. Up and down through the gears. Hard compression braking ect.
Being retired I have time on my hands so I can get way with stuff like this. Also I want to know the truth. So far not one drop has migrated.
For others that are concerned it is not hard to use UV trace. It can be picked up at Auto parts stores or order on line. It is not expensive . UV lights go from low cost to very expensive. I found my old UV light and it still worked. Do read the instruction. Don't spill it when adding it it can be a real pain to clean off. If you use a tube to draw samples do not let the two come in contact or your results will be meaningless. If you allow Primary lube to soak into a paper towel then hit it with the light even the smallest amounts will show up. Using UV trace will show the migration much sooner than trying to measure the differences.

I plan to keep checking it, so far in does not indicate any migration.

The following 3 users liked this post by smitty901:
103Eagle (07-06-2017), mjwebb (07-06-2017), stixvrad (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Sumping issues? I would love to hear you back that one up with some facts. Thats the trouble with Forums, someone posts something and it becomes fact and spread like wild fire when reality is its just speculation or opinion.
Just to be factual, my 2017 CVO Limited with Stage 4 kit had oil sumping issues. HD shipped a new engine to my dealer. No charge for the engine or installation. I'm picking up the bike today. Once the new stage 4 kits are released (next week) they will include a new designed oil pump for higher performance engines. HD is also upgrading my new engine to Stage 4 at no cost. There are "real" sumping issues due to oil jet sprayer issues and pump design but HD is making things right for owners experiencing these issues. They have for me so far.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ddressing.html

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-06-2017 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sixguns (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 AM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
After everyone went to bed last night I went out open primary, checked it with UV light. Nothing showing yet. Grand son is sleeping in a bit when he wakes up we will head out and put some more miles on it.
Hard to sort though all of the threads as to when each saw the migration. At first it seemed like it happens fast at over 4000 RPM's. In one post it happen in a short DYNO run bike must have been straight up. Then another hinted it was hard cornering that contributed to it. Then another mentioned compression braking. So far with the Trace in I have done my best to run it between 4000 rpm's and red line. Up and down through the gears. Hard compression braking ect.
Being retired I have time on my hands so I can get way with stuff like this. Also I want to know the truth. So far not one drop has migrated.
For others that are concerned it is not hard to use UV trace. It can be picked up at Auto parts stores or order on line. It is not expensive . UV lights go from low cost to very expensive. I found my old UV light and it still worked. Do read the instruction. Don't spill it when adding it it can be a real pain to clean off. If you use a tube to draw samples do not let the two come in contact or your results will be meaningless. If you allow Primary lube to soak into a paper towel then hit it with the light even the smallest amounts will show up. Using UV trace will show the migration much sooner than trying to measure the differences.

I plan to keep checking it, so far in does not indicate any migration.
Thanks for your research, you're definitely doing all you can to see if it migrates. Have you checked the fluid level in your tranny to see if it has dropped at all? Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,275 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
MOTOJOCKEY.......HOWD IT GO? UPDATE PLEASE!!! Quoted post was July 1.

Eagle Out
Eagle, Post 507 has my latest update from after the road trip, but wait...... there's more!

I rode over to the dealership yesterday after work to show THEM what I have found so far and discuss the fact that I was NOT happy to roll into the shop and find my tranny fluid so low that it didn't show up on the stick. I explained that after I dumped it, measured it, refilled it, and rode it, that although the level was still up in the "X", I am STILL losing oil and I believe, because of the Green Glow in the primary, that that is where I am losing it to......still. They agreed that the bike must have left here short on tranny oil and apologized for that and also said that they were going to call Tech Services first thing today and see what they suggest as the next step. We all agreed for me to ride the **** out of this thing and keep an eye on the levels, which is exactly what I plan on doing. They said if there is any failure on the tranny, they'll just put a new one in under warranty. I explained that that is all well and fine, but after investing more than 36K into this this bike, I really don't want it to sit in there shop all summer, I want to ride it!

Just went out to the shop a minute ago and pulled the dipstick........ 830 miles since I refilled the tranny and I am now only showing enough fluid to fill in the lower quadrant of the "X" on the stick instead of all 4 quadrants. Like I told the service guys, it's MUCH better, but still not right.

I'm hearing (reading), more and more that indicates that the Mother Ship is very aware of this situation. IMHO, I think they are not going to speak out until they have completely nailed down the cause so that they can then know what the permanent fix is. I get that...... I try not to bring a problem to my boss without having at least one possible fix for the situation. So, I don't think that they are sitting there with their fingers in their ear, eyes shut, and singing "Lalalala" while we are presenting all this info to them. I'm sure that they're on it, they just haven't gotten to a point where they can/will commit to anything yet. This thing is real and not going away until THEY fix it for good. They have big sales on the line here and they don't want the bad press, know what I mean? It would be nice to have a Mole in Milwaukee to help keep us informed, lol.

Anyhow, I'll let you know what happens after my Service Dept calls the Tech Service.......

The following 3 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (07-06-2017), mjwebb (07-06-2017), stixvrad (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:13 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,277 Likes on 4,445 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
When I pick the bike up today, they told me Harley had a bulletin about the issue. But, he also said they didn't know what was causing the problem.
So we're in the monitoring stage. They told me to come back in 2,000 miles.
See if they will give you the bulletin number....

I read they issued a tech bulletin on the sumping issue with the stage III & IV kits.

M1450: Loss of Power on 2017 Milwaukee-Eight Equipped with Screamin' Eagle Stage III or IV Kits

I haven't heard anyone figured out the cause of the oil transfer, yet.....

It appears we are close, some promising leads being checked out with reference to the new main shaft bearing...

Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,161 Likes on 3,653 Posts

The concept of being part of the HD world and invested in the company by owning their bikes is no joke. The amount of thought, research and effort by many in here into tracing the source of this and sharing the info is impressive. Major kudos.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

OK just thinkin out loud here, not knowing fer sure.....

LEMON LAW, does it apply to motorcycles? Back in years past, had a car that had a leaky moon roof, dealer had it in for repair at least 4 times, never could fix it, had mold growing behind the package tray where drains ran. The manufacture bought it back as I mentioned court action LEMON LAW. Maybe one of our forum lawyers could pipe in on this.........I would think that each trip to the dealer represents a repair opportunity and should count against a repair limit before the vehicle is considered a lemon. From what I remember, the vehicle had to have at least 3 repair attempts and or be in the shop a number of days (not sure what it was) to constitute a LEMON.

I personally do not wish to ride below or at given conditions, want to ride it how I want to, when I want to. I also do not think we should have to check and recheck trans levels every minute for the next 50k miles. I mentioned before, what if the trans change does not fix the issue, lets hope it does and MOTOJOCKEY gets it sorted out.

I feel I have been patient so far, waiting on a true fix before I take it to a dealer, would like confirmation FROM THE MOCO that they are working on the issue and that "WATCH MODE" will not be the new normal! Really tired of hearing "we have not heard of this issue yet"!

I have asked for Durwood to update us in the other forum on his gasket retrofit to see if he still has good results...........waiting........

Eagle Out

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?