Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,277 Likes on 4,445 Posts

I asked this on the other forum...

Does anyone know if the MoCo is aware of this problem?

I know the MoCo has a history of making more than one change to fix an issue, but would it be reasonable to think it might be fixed by the 2018 models?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,693 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

I know the MoCo has a history of making more than one change to fix an issue, but would it be reasonable to think it might be fixed by the 2018 models?
Those are some fancy words there. One must define "know" as I am sure they will not admit to knowing about the issue. I cannot believe they have not heard about it as customers have taken there bikes back to dealers and complained about it.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

Since the MOCO has not admitted to the general public that there is a problem with disappearing transmission lubricant yet, it is unknown at this time if they will come up with a fix or not. Since the "fix" has not happened yet, we do not know what the outcome will be. I know it is a real problem because it has happened to me on two occasions now.

In short, we don't know what we don't know. Stay tuned because this is not going to go away.

hattitude (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

First, I would ask, is it a problem? There are specific intervals to check the level, and if only a certain amount can escape, I would not deem it as a problem if it does not cause any damage. Nuisance? Yes. Problem? No.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,380 Likes on 4,785 Posts

sounds like a problem to me, and going to have to be more diligent in managing than ever before..doubt it's working as designed in that the engineers expected fluid transfer from what is intended to be compartmentalized....when they state safe engine rpms to be 5500 yet operating up to that limit introduces potential clutch and transmission issues....not kosher..it'll sort itself out over time with either damage being done via warranty claims, or the MOCO gets proactive about it which not holding my breath on..anyway, I've experienced it, been enlightened and informed so it's going to be a more tedious..owners shouldn't have to learn to live on Closed Loop as a 'workaround'

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-02-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Dealer dissatisfaction from potential loss of sales and owner complaints might provoke a fix. Work with them to make it happen.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:46 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I haven't read on the procedure but what's the recommended way to check it, hot, cold, upright or on the kick stand? I just checked mine after a ride and 5 minute cool down on the stand, stick screwed in and nothing is showing on the stick.
So you buy a bike & spend big $$$ & haven't opened up the owner's manual yet to see how to check the fluids! Call up your dealership & explain what's going on & have them come pick up your bike. Don't let them give you the 'It's Normal BS' either. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
First, I would ask, is it a problem? There are specific intervals to check the level, and if only a certain amount can escape, I would not deem it as a problem if it does not cause any damage. Nuisance? Yes. Problem? No.
It will be a problem when the tranny is dry.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:06 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
It will be a problem when the tranny is dry.
Which is why I went on to say that there are regular checks the rider is supposed to complete. The manual says fluid level checks are a pre-ride check, so the rider is expected to check fluid level before every ride and fill any low fluids. Is this a scapegoat for HD? Yes. Is it shady? Yes. Will it eliminate the risk of running low and thus causing damage? YES.

Also, as far as we know, no one's tranny has been close to being empty, even after thousands of miles. Once the level in the tranny is low enough, the remaining fluid is not going to transfer because it will not reach the area where the transfer is occurring (assumptions: fluid is transferring through the clutch shaft).

e6fmf (01-06-2018)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

It probably would level off, but do we know that, mine was 12 ounces low when I checked it I don't know if it would have went any lower had I not noticed it. Also it was going into the primary which may or may not cause problems. I really don't think a person is going to check the primary level before each ride as they tell you.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?