Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Steve,

The fact that your oil drains didn't work says it.. Either that or oil is getting into the cavity faster than then the drains can get it out which means it has to be coming though the bearing at significant volume..

Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I've checked my trans fluid so many times I need to start buying my dipstick O Rings in bulk at Costco
McMaster.. Get the Viton ones..

Old 07-02-2017, 09:24 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm just under 2k miles and have been checking, but no apparent transfer. My bike was built 2/17, is this within the range exhibiting the problem?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Yes done all of the time to find leaks UV type is best . I am doing that right now. Post number 457. Tomorrow will see some more riding with the trace in .
I wonder if something could be used to coat the inside of the trans and reflect heaviest oil flow route to the transfer site? Might be too much spraying and fog for that.

Or maybe coat the innards and let the oil flow wash it off showing flow. Goofy idea but how else would we know what goes where?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
I wonder if something could be used to coat the inside of the trans and reflect heaviest oil flow route to the transfer site? Might be too much spraying and fog for that.

Or maybe coat the innards and let the oil flow wash it off showing flow. Goofy idea but how else would we know what goes where?
I'm hesitant to post all my 'Goofy' ideas, like maybe stress cracks, but that would mean fluid could possibly go both directions, unless one level was lower than the other..digging real deep here but going to be real interesting when this 'case is cracked' and it will be eventually..just have to practice patience which has never been a strength of mine

Old 07-02-2017, 11:16 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Seems the MoCo could 3D print a clear cover & watch?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-02-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 AM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Seems the MoCo could 3D print a clear cover & watch?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Or loose the 1st scissor gear and/or install some of the previous TC transmission components on the M8.

Gary

Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Just flashed on me! You know that clutch handle "wobble" felt when modulating the throttle?
That's the push rod going back and forth due to the new trick clutch. Quite a bit of "endplay" feel in the lever. I believe that back and forth pushrod action can act as a fluid transfer pump.
At prolonged high rpms transmission oil temps elevate in turn, create pressure and windage which feeds the pump.
TC trany pushrods (clutch) don't move back and forth and don't have the fluid transfer issue.
My thoughts,
Bob

Old 07-03-2017, 04:08 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,379 Likes on 5,508 Posts

0400 in a bit heading out to beat on the M8 a bit. Get some more miles on it with the UV trace in it. I will be opening the primary today to see if any migration has taken place at this point.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I have, about 3 time now. You just don't understand it .. The movement of the rod is asymmetrical.. It acts like a pump..

Add: Spray coats the rod or even the level in the cavity is slightly above the lower hole in the mainshaft for the pushrod.. Based on the rate you are saying the level changes there almost has to be a pump..

Sorry but you have not answered it yet again. The rod moving back and forth(if it does at all) will not pull oil from the case up hill over an air gap. It may move what ever is in the tube back and forth but you still must overcome the fact that there is no oil path there to start with! There is air around the pushrod in the tube. The ONLY way your rod movement works is if the rod is open to oil flow.

Solve the oil flow and the problem goes away, as rod movement has nothing to do with it.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?