Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Where did you place the hole? In the cover?
He took the dipstick out and tried it... no joy.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I've done another 1500km and my transmission oil level is still full. Why are some bikes not doing this?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
I've done another 1500km and my transmission oil level is still full. Why are some bikes not doing this?
what is the manufacture date of your bike?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

what's your riding style? More transfer is being found at higher RPM's. If you rarely get above 4k you probably won't see much of any transfer

The following users liked this post:
Macrunner (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer

It's a 10/16 build. I ride it at all sorts of rpm' depends on load and road conditions etc. I'm going to keep checking it but I pointed this out to a mate with a M8 Street glide.....he had never checked his trans oil......it was full too.

I haven't seen any Australian bikes mentioned on our (Australian) forums with this issue either.

Got me stumped if everyone is having the issue in the US

Old 07-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

That really means nothing. It comes and goes, I had it and thought I could repeat it, then it was gone. My advice, watch all your levels for yourself. Harley isn't going to help you figure this out. Don't listen to the forums, watch each one..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:59 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I hope the HD steps up to the plate and provides a fix for all of us. I just got tired of waiting and set out to fix my own. I do not know at what point the transfer will stop but my guess is when it's out of oil. I only found the problem as my bike started making noise from the transmission. I bitched the dealer out because when I check the transmission the dip stick was dry. I went and picked up a couple quarts of Formula plus and went to change both the primary and transmission as I did not trust that they had set the bike up correctly. When I pulled the transmission plug nothing much was coming out, so I let it sit and drain till it stopped. Poured the fluid into a bottle to take back to the dealership, it was about 4 oz. Put the plug back in and filled the transmission. Then drained the primary and did not check the amount as it poured out like normal. Filled the primary and said that's that. I had no idea at the time what was going on. Road the bike a few day trips on the weekend with friends and thought I was hearing something again. When I got home and check the damn transmission stick was dry again. I had about a 1/2 of quart left in a bottle so I dumped it in and at least got it to touch the bottom of the stick. Road it to work and put it on the hoist looking for a leak and could not find it and could not find any sign of a leak anywhere, bike was dry. So I thought let's check the primary and see if its low too. As I start loosing the derby cover oil starts pouring out making a big mess on the hoist as I never though that it would be overfull! After cleaning the mess up it dawned on me that must be where my transmission oil went!

Thats how all this got started. After a few trips to the dealership and HD saying just change fluids and it will be fine I got pissed and decided to see what I could do myself. When I bought my second M8 one of the first things I did was check the levels and all was good. Tossed it up on the dyno since I already knew how to make my RK dump the oil and said let's see if this new Ultra Limited will be the same. Sure enough one test and transmission low, primary over full. Both bikes have been reported to HD and got the same response at the time, change fluids and check again.

What I did on my RK has greatly reduced the transfer rate but did not stop it completely in our testing. So now I just riding it to see how much better it will be on the street, time will tell.
Can you tell us what you did to reduce the transfer rate on your RK?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
Can you tell us what you did to reduce the transfer rate on your RK?
He switched to a vtwin. The M8's all do it under the right conditions. We all agree on that..

Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
He switched to a vtwin. The M8's all do it under the right conditions. We all agree on that..
I don't agree with that at all.

The following users liked this post:
rjjj629 (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer

Originally Posted by cmashark
I don't agree with that at all.
I'm starting to wonder too. Mine has been dinoed (28 runs) since last service, and I've given it stick over an additional 1500km - trans dip stick full.

I appreciate it's a real issue for many here.......but it's just not happening to mine it seams.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?