Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
I also suspect the culprit is in the primary. I also beleive from my experience that the transfer is at the very least much worse when engine braking or decelerating. When I recently did some riding in the mountains and running lower rpm's the transfer was way way more than it is now on Minnesota flat land.

PS: I did 750 miles in the mountains and transfered about 10 ounces.
well we know the primary is much narrower on the 17 just wanted to throw that out if it would make somebody in the know think a little more

Old 07-01-2017, 09:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I don't have any problems being wrong and the theory is a bit of a stretch but I come from a background where issues rely heavy on theory to trouble shoot issues.. Once the theory is developed, tests can be formed to validate or disprove. Can't argue that Steve isn't more hands on than I on this one. Especially since I don't own a dyno so I don't have a system to test theories.. Still one can see enough testing that is going on to formulate and see results of different tests to come up with a solution.

Anyway not sure where I wrote that increasing a hole 1/16 would make a difference.. In the case I'm citing, the hole was increased 4 to 6 times its size in a location where the hole is part of what could be a considered a diaphragm.. If this is the valid fix, it would be interesting to figure out why so that if this issue pops up again it can be resolved quickly.

The idea of venting the primary is always worth a try.. I doubt it's the fix but at least it's worth trying simply to see if the symptoms change..

Could you explain Steve's theory? I did not see it.. He was too busy trying too shoot down mine, that I didn't catch it.
Simply put, Darren stated opening up the vent a tiny bit appeared to fix his issue. You agreed that this seemed plausible and went down the road of gasket production theory.
By association you've bought into the idea that opening the vent 1/16 the problem could be possibly be eliminated...

So Steve tried similar by opening a hole 10 times larger and closer to the actual would be transfer device (main shaft) and for him it did not fix the issue.
For you, suddenly this is suspect because of the interior size of the trans somehow becoming a factor and frequency theory things.
I find that if you support Darren's approach, by extension you have to support Steve's as well. Not saying either Guy is right, but they are doing the same kind of testing.
Can't say Steve's approach is wrong just because you don't like him. I mean I get that some people don't like him. But don't let that affect your critical thinking...

Last edited by lp; 07-01-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:02 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
I also suspect the culprit is in the primary. I also beleive from my experience that the transfer is at the very least much worse when engine braking or decelerating. When I recently did some riding in the mountains and running lower rpm's the transfer was way way more than it is now on Minnesota flat land.

PS: I did 750 miles in the mountains and transfered about 10 ounces.
My bike has no measurable amount of transfer. This is interesting to me because it goes against many of the theories given as contributing factors. .

I did a cross country ride with a very large group of riders, I logged over 6200 miles on this trip.

Many of those miles were in a tight pack running 60-65 in 5th gear and using a braking technique that uses only the engine to slow, this required extreme downshifting. [ By the way, the M8 has poor engine Braking ]

I also ran from Little Rock to Wa State solo in four days running 80 -85 all day long.

After this trip my trans level was still within spec.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Ok..... quick update.... not a happy update, but an update nonetheless.

Dealer dropped off my bike at work at 5:30 yesterday as I was getting off work. Climbed on it and rode it 47 miles home. Pulled it to the shop, kissed the wife and pulled the tranny dipstick out, wiped it off, and checked the level........ DRY!! Checked it 2 more times and found the level just barely touching the bottom of the stick. Drained the oil and measured 23oz. Put in the recommended 28 oz. of oil back in, (Mobil 1 Syn 20w50 V-Twin was all I had on the shelf), and rode it 56 miles. Checked the level and it was still halfway in the "X". While I was out, I picked up a bottle if Oil Dye for the tranny. I had asked the service dept if they had put any in and they said no, but I could if I wanted, so I did, along with about 2 more oz.'s of oil in the gearbox to make sure the level was at the top of the "X". So, what I saw was, either the dealer didn't put enough oil back into the gearbox and I read that level when I got home even tho there was actually no transfer of fluid, or there was transfer in only 47 miles. If there was transfer on the way home after work, why would there have been little or no transfer in the 56 miles I rode after changing out the oil? I don't know..... And as far as what school I went to....... read my signature below, lol!

So this is where I am. I have a full tranny with dye in it. I have a weekend of riding planned at Hollister. I have a qt of oil in my saddle bag and some wrenches. I'll let you know what I find out on the trip when I get back. And, I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent tranny swap, which as I stated earlier, came to the dealer in different shipments.

For the sceptic(s) reading this thread- See Repair Order attached. If I tell you something...... anything.......you can hang your hat on on it. Not a troll or a poser and don't really appreciate having someone elude to that. I realize you guys don't know who the ***** I am or what I'm about, but over time you'll see that I'm just a guy with a couple of bikes that like to ride, just like you. But I am also a mechanic that likes to troubleshoot, wrench, and repair. THAT'S what I do........

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-tranny-oil-ro.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (07-01-2017), Max Headflow (07-01-2017), mjwebb (07-01-2017), PA1195 (07-01-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018), smitty901 (07-01-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Simply put, Darren stated opening up the vent a tiny bit appeared to fix his issue. You agreed that this seemed plausible and went down the road of gasket production theory.
By association you've bought into the idea that opening the vent 1/16 the problem could be possibly be eliminated...

So Steve tried similar by opening a hole 10 times larger and closer to the actual would be transfer device (main shaft) and for him it did not fix the issue.
For you, suddenly this is suspect because of the interior size of the trans somehow becoming a factor and frequency theory things.
I find that if you support Darren's approach, by extension you have to support Steve's as well. Not saying either Guy is right, but they are doing the same time of testing.
Can't say Steve's approach is wrong just because you don't like him. I mean I get that some people don't like him. But don't let that affect your critical thinking...
I'm not sure where Darren stated opening a hole a tiny bit helped. Pic over on HTT shows a pretty good sized slot..

One thing to note is that the gasket sits in a chamber and not inside the transmission case where the gears are. It acts sits in a separate chamber and splits the chamber in 2 to help act as an oil mist separator. The acoustics will be different.

Which hole did Steve open? Did he cut the gasket also..

It's funny that you think I don't like Steve... I consider him a friend.. After all, he likes bourbon.. Its the scotch drinkers you got to watch out for.. I spent a more then a few hours talking to him face to face about twincams, M8 EFI and general BS.. He one of the few that understands this stuff really well..

One thing I do suggest is that when anyone finds a fix, it be independently verified. This is a good case. Too many after market trick fixes for various issues are not and in many cases falsely claimed as good.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Ok..... quick update.... not a happy update, but an update nonetheless.

Dealer dropped off my bike at work at 5:30 yesterday as I was getting off work. Climbed on it and rode it 47 miles home. Pulled it to the shop, kissed the wife and pulled the tranny dipstick out, wiped it off, and checked the level........ DRY!! Checked it 2 more times and found the level just barely touching the bottom of the stick. Drained the oil and measured 23oz. Put in the recommended 28 oz. of oil back in, (Mobil 1 Syn 20w50 V-Twin was all I had on the shelf), and rode it 56 miles. Checked the level and it was still halfway in the "X". While I was out, I picked up a bottle if Oil Dye for the tranny. I had asked the service dept if they had put any in and they said no, but I could if I wanted, so I did, along with about 2 more oz.'s of oil in the gearbox to make sure the level was at the top of the "X". So, what I saw was, either the dealer didn't put enough oil back into the gearbox and I read that level when I got home even tho there was actually no transfer of fluid, or there was transfer in only 47 miles. If there was transfer on the way home after work, why would there have been little or no transfer in the 56 miles I rode after changing out the oil? I don't know..... And as far as what school I went to....... read my signature below, lol!

So this is where I am. I have a full tranny with dye in it. I have a weekend of riding planned at Hollister. I have a qt of oil in my saddle bag and some wrenches. I'll let you know what I find out on the trip when I get back. And, I have a bad taste in my mouth after this recent tranny swap, which as I stated earlier, came to the dealer in different shipments.

For the sceptic(s) reading this thread- See Repair Order attached. If I tell you something...... anything.......you can hang your hat on on it. Not a troll or a poser and don't really appreciate having someone elude to that. I realize you guys don't know who the ***** I am or what I'm about, but over time you'll see that I'm just a guy with a couple of bikes that like to ride, just like you. But I am also a mechanic that likes to troubleshoot, wrench, and repair. THAT'S what I do........
The paperwork references Recall 0170 and Service Bulletin M-1447 for the stated fluid transfer problem ....???

Old 07-01-2017, 10:37 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

At 3135 miles, here is my oil level. Bike on lift.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_1831.jpg   who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_1832.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
The paperwork references Recall 0170 and Service Bulletin M-1447 for the stated fluid transfer problem ....???
Recall 0170 is the Oil Cooler Clamp Recall..... that passed with no issues. Not sure about Service Bulletin M-1447.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Measured from primary. Bike is an 08/16 build.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_1833.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Recall 0170 is the Oil Cooler Clamp Recall..... that passed with no issues. Not sure about Service Bulletin M-1447.
I bet the initial fill from the dealer was incorrect but you have a plan..would have been nice to have them observe the replacement trans to see if it looked any different from the OEM...thanks for keeping us updated..you are the only confirmed owner with confirmed diagnosis and R&R from the MOCO for this issue that we know of here so far

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?