Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

I wonder if there is a change at all in the cases they are sending out. Could they possibly just be doing complete transmission swaps to get the problem ones back complete, untouched for evaluation? They did this with some of the early engine problems.

I'm surprised nobody has tried drilling and tapping a,vent in the primary to vent it separately. Tapped with a pipe thread it could easily be plugged back off. I realize this wouldn't be a cheap fix for HD to do , they would have to get the bike 're EPA/CARB certified.

In the end this is really HD's problem to figure out.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I'm surprised nobody has tried drilling and tapping a,vent in the primary to vent it separately.
in the spirit off pure speculation, and perhaps pure stupidity on my part..wonder if leaving the top derby cover bolt out would break the seal just enough to allow some venting without fluid sloshing up there and leaking

Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
in the spirit off pure speculation, and perhaps pure stupidity on my part..wonder if leaving the top derby cover bolt out would break the seal just enough to allow some venting without fluid sloshing up there and leaking
HD used to vent the trans with a vented bolt on the top of the trans. You could always vent the top screw and give it a try.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

or maybe on the dyno with a clear derby cover and keep the other 2 bolts below the top one loose too, have someone watch to see if it doesn't leak and run it and see what happens..I dunno'..obviously..probably spew fluid..might eliminate venting as the issue if it behaves the same

Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

It's there a negative pressure in the primary, causing the oil to be sucked from the tranny side through the rod? May be a dumb question, I am not completely familiar with the inner geometry of the cases.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:17 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

who knows, could be a thermal flux capacitor, molecular twangulator or high flutenator issue for all I know...this is freaking hilarious tho

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-01-2017 at 08:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Bigiron (08-08-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018), StevieRay59 (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:29 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I have seen drill marks inside tubes that spin and fluid transfers through like an auger effect. Another random thought while riding here on the interstate...

Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Have any of you guys heard a knocking noise behind the "6 speed" cover at idle? Like a hammer knocking on the cover

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I edited my post because I didn't want to get more into this but...

In terms of frequency, a musical instrument may have small or large holes that affect resonance greatly. Big or small, both have a measurable affect.
I find it weird to argue that enlarging a vent hole 1/16 would be a plausible fix, but putting an even larger 3/4 hole would have no affect because the "case is so large". Weird argument. Lost.
The 3/4 hole is closer to the source as well. The vent tube is miles away from the main shaft.

Anyway. Kinda with Steve on this one. I figure he's not paper troubleshooting, and is actually trying stuff physically because he has resources.
More over, his theory sounds more plausible to me. No offence Max, but I know you tend to over think sometimes. Just wondering if this is one of those times. No biggie.

I don't have any problems being wrong and the theory is a bit of a stretch but I come from a background where issues rely heavy on theory to trouble shoot issues.. Once the theory is developed, tests can be formed to validate or disprove. Can't argue that Steve isn't more hands on than I on this one. Especially since I don't own a dyno so I don't have a system to test theories.. Still one can see enough testing that is going on to formulate and see results of different tests to come up with a solution.

Anyway not sure where I wrote that increasing a hole 1/16 would make a difference.. In the case I'm citing, the hole was increased 4 to 6 times its size in a location where the hole is part of what could be a considered a diaphragm.. If this is the valid fix, it would be interesting to figure out why so that if this issue pops up again it can be resolved quickly.

The idea of venting the primary is always worth a try.. I doubt it's the fix but at least it's worth trying simply to see if the symptoms change..

Could you explain Steve's theory? I did not see it.. He was too busy trying too shoot down mine, that I didn't catch it.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
It's there a negative pressure in the primary, causing the oil to be sucked from the tranny side through the rod? May be a dumb question, I am not completely familiar with the inner geometry of the cases.
I also suspect the culprit is in the primary. I also beleive from my experience that the transfer is at the very least much worse when engine braking or decelerating. When I recently did some riding in the mountains and running lower rpm's the transfer was way way more than it is now on Minnesota flat land.

PS: I did 750 miles in the mountains and transfered about 10 ounces.

Last edited by Bobjv; 07-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?