Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

EDIT. I'm lost.

Just sayin.

Last edited by lp; 06-30-2017 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rockymtman (01-05-2018)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Question

Guys lets play nice ok? No one needs school or after school scolding. We are all tryin to figure this out, until there is a permanent fix, NO ONE IS WRONG! The arguments don't solve anything, lets work together! The more ideas and test the sooner we find out. I for one appreciate all the thought process and work going into this issue.

1.) It appears that Motojockey got a new case and gearset, he said as much in his post that they were not one assembly, shipped separately.

2.) We don't know that the NEW CASE is a NEW DESIGN or has been modified by the MOCO or just a replacement.

3.) My bike has experienced this issue NOT ON A DYNO, RAN 4k plus and also RAN under 4k, rpm did not appear to change the amount of transfer IN MY FLHXS.

4.) It seems as though production date does not matter, some early production as well as recent production dates have the issue.

5.) There are pictures (limited view) of a twin cam case vs. the M8 case showing the different vents on the other forum.

Now just thinkin out loud........some guys feel input from shifting thru the clutch lever as I DO but lots of guys don't. It's a question that is way out there I agree but I wonder if there is a connection to that and the oil transfer? And NO I can't explain why or how that could be possible.....but so far, we can't for sure explain the oil transfer either!

We can only hope that the MOCO reads this stuff and is working hard on a solution as well.

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 06-30-2017 at 09:57 PM.
rockymtman (01-05-2018)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yeah You need to go back to school.. You didn't change the sizes of the chamber that is the transmission case.. You simply poked a small hole in it.. Measure the surface area of the inside of the case and compare it to the hole. It is likely less than 1/20th of the total surface area, probably smaller. Ever play and ocarina? You might have changed the frequency slightly..

Yeah the oil level will shift front to back.. How many G's? . 0.1-0.2 ?
OK, so making a 3/4" change to allow any and all the pressure in the transmission case to escape out the hole is no different. Guess we went to different schools. As LP pointed out a little change makes a huge change in Hz. Your suggested change is what? You did not change the exit orifice size at all so the chamber size never changed just allowed the transmission case a slight larger and I do mean very slightly, path into the breather chamber. All pressures and volumes remain the same. All I can say is good luck with it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
Can we assume any oil drainback function (from the oiled bearings into the outer shaft area near the clutch slave unit) remained the same between the A and B suffix parts? The suffix changed for 2017 from the parts fiche unless you have reason so suspect otherwise.

The two outer support bearings appear to be the same P/N between years unless an internal change in the cage or ? has made them by design oil feeders now.

Just exploring some ideas.

We don't know if the replacement transmissions differ from stock 2017 units do we? They may be, or they may just be parts bin replacements in hopes of a repair.

If someone thinks the gasket has a resonance double them up.
I do not know what the changes are that HD has/is supplied. I would think they have done things for a reason as this is costing them big! A simple change of the guts would be much cheaper to ship and have installed than what they are doing. The way they have always sold and shipped the guts is preassembled but no case, so this is a change. There is no easy way to get the entire transmission out of the bike so they must pay more labor cost for the R&R too.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
OK, so making a 3/4" change to allow any and all the pressure in the transmission case to escape out the hole is no different. Guess we went to different schools. As LP pointed out a little change makes a huge change in Hz. Your suggested change is what? You did not change the exit orifice size at all so the chamber size never changed just allowed the transmission case a slight larger and I do mean very slightly, path into the breather chamber. All pressures and volumes remain the same. All I can say is good luck with it.
LP said he was lost? Think about it.. 3/4 inch hole is way smaller then the chamber surface area.. How much is it going to change in HZ? From a resonate point of view IIRC the frequency goes up with the hole..

Yeah cut it n half and the problem is gone..

Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

We need to put pre and post 2017 transmission components on a table and have a look. We do know there are part changes listed for 2017 if the online fiche data from HD is to be believed.

The guts and gears may have been improved recently which would be a third design iteration. Whatever fixes the issue needs to be implemented.

It's quite a stretch to believe HD hasn't observed it in their testing program to date and developed a fix, which may only be a machining correction of some component. They have the resources to do that unlike owners and service folks trying to make a profit. It may also be a vendor specific problem that varied from HD's design.

Lots of unknowns so I'll hold my head and be calm.

Edit: Oh and the clutch lever pulse is common to slip/assist clutches that by their load and unload action move the actuator components hydraulically up through the lever. Common to BMW's with a similar clutch in my experience.

Last edited by PA1195; 06-30-2017 at 11:10 PM.
rockymtman (01-05-2018)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

well the good thing is the 'ice breaker' has apparently occurred with the MOCO..one would think the engineering team has been tasked to prioritize their resources and attention accordingly as to not wait for this to overwhelm them if they believe the flood gates may potentially open..which we don't really have any fact driven knowledge of real World scope at this time, which would be warranty claims vs units sold = rate of failure. hopefully they are getting out ahead of this regardless of the numbers they are seeing

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,380 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Still waiting to see a Shop ticket for warranty repair on one of these replaced transmission.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:36 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
LP said he was lost? Think about it.. 3/4 inch hole is way smaller then the chamber surface area.. How much is it going to change in HZ? From a resonate point of view IIRC the frequency goes up with the hole..

Yeah cut it n half and the problem is gone..
I edited my post because I didn't want to get more into this but...

In terms of frequency, a musical instrument may have small or large holes that affect resonance greatly. Big or small, both have a measurable affect.
I find it weird to argue that enlarging a vent hole 1/16 would be a plausible fix, but putting an even larger 3/4 hole would have no affect because the "case is so large". Weird argument. Lost.
The 3/4 hole is closer to the source as well. The vent tube is miles away from the main shaft.

Anyway. Kinda with Steve on this one. I figure he's not paper troubleshooting, and is actually trying stuff physically because he has resources.
More over, his theory sounds more plausible to me. No offence Max, but I know you tend to over think sometimes. Just wondering if this is one of those times. No biggie.

Last edited by lp; 07-01-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bike on jiffy stand trans screw trans dipstick down until the O ring touches the housing.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?