Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
I think the process will go quick for you, sounds like your transfer is faster than mine. HD told my dealer to empty all my fluids and refill precisely. Then have me run 1K without touching the fluids and return. I was told I could keep an eye on the engine and trans, but not to fill. If the engine or trans was low before 1K, call the dealer and they would come get me. Don't fill. Pretty simple.

Unfortunately for me I have another issue going on so my testing stopped at 600 miles.
Would be easier to run a dye transfer test. But Harley is to cheap to send the kits to the dealerships. Then again, most wouldn't have a clue what to do with the kit.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

I agree with the dye transfer test being the quickest and most definitively conclusive test for this issue. It cuts out all of the measuring and guessing. That's what my dealership did, at the recommendation of the MoCo, and I pick my bike up tomorrow afternoon after having a new Transmission installed because they did this test and confirmed what I he told them. I did hear from the dealer today that the tranny replacement included the entire transmission, case and all, not just the gears and guts. I'm going to suggest to them, if that haven't decided to do it on their own or been instructed by the MoCo to do it, for them to put dye in the tranny again before I take it out for a weekend of riding to, during, and from the Hollister Rally. It seems to me that that would be proof positive that whatever they did different with this tranny compared to my old one, is the permanent fix. Not knowing for sure myself, and not really getting any answers from the dealer because they are being instructed to stay tight lipped about this at this point, I really don't know for sure what the difference between the two actually is. I'm leaning towards a problem with the machining of the case. And as a few posters have already mentioned, the possibility of 2 or maybe even 3, different shops being contracted to fabricate these parts is pretty likely. If my tranny was machined at XYZ Machine Shop, and they are sending me one from ABC Machine Shop, this may be the answer we all need. I do know that the MoCo wants my old tranny to tear it apart and examine it to see what they can find. But that's a no brainer statement. By the way, the case was shipped to the dealer separately from the gears though, I do know that. Take that for what it's worth. I can't imagine that the dye test kit is so expensive that HD won't send them to the dealerships, nor do I think that the dealer's service dept. doesn't have some kits already sitting on their workbench. Why can't we just get our own kits and dump them in our trannys ourselves to help prove our point? Warranty issues? They might cancel it if we add something foreign into our tranny's? Any how, I'll keep you posted as this thing unfolds. I'm just hoping for a trouble free weekend full of fun and riding!

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (06-30-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Best of Luck MotoJockey!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Anxiously awaiting your next reply MotoJockey!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:44 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,379 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Checked mine again today no loss of trans lube yet. Only 600 miles on it sense last change (6000 on bike now). I've been playing with that Xg750 a bit.
I still wonder if it is not a porous case problem. Had that happen once on a new one. Took two trips to dealer to find it but they replaced the cases.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:18 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Guys,
I know that Steve Cole has tested without the dipstick to allow venting and he still had oil transfer. I read this thread on another forum and find it interesting and have doubts due to Steves testing but I am following it and am hopeful. They are enlarging a vent hole in the gasket and have had positive results so far. Forgive me if it has been mentioned already. The link is below.....

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=96613.175

You must be a member to view the pics.......

Motojockey, glad to hear, hope they put her back together again as well as possible and hope the issue is fixed. About the dye not being shipped, here at work we have dye that we use to detect hydraulic leaks. There are types that add color only, some add color and are uv so when used with a black light, are highly visible. That type works well on finding faint damp leaks like from porosity in cases and such. I do know that the stuff we have is very toxic, cancer causing, that could be why it cant be shipped via mail or fedex/ups.....not sure just a guess.

Eagle Out (crossin fingers and toes for an easy fix)

Last edited by 103Eagle; 06-30-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Guys,
I know that Steve Cole has tested without the dipstick to allow venting and he still had oil transfer. I read this thread on another forum and find it interesting and have doubts due to Steves testing but I am following it and am hopeful. They are enlarging a vent hole in the gasket and have had positive results so far. Forgive me if it has been mentioned already. The link is below.....

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/index.php?topic=96613.175

You must be a member to view the pics.......

Motojockey, glad to hear, hope they put her back together again as well as possible and hope the issue is fixed. About the dye not being shipped, here at work we have dye that we use to detect hydraulic leaks. There are types that add color only, some add color and are uv so when used with a black light, are highly visible. That type works well on finding faint damp leaks like from porosity in cases and such. I do know that the stuff we have is very toxic, cancer causing, that could be why it cant be shipped via mail or fedex/ups.....not sure just a guess.

Eagle Out (crossin fingers and toes for an easy fix)
I wish it was just a vent issue and I am sure HD would like it too. The fact that they (HD) are sending new cases and entire new transmission guts tells me there is more to it, and our testing shows it too. I would love to be able to look at the new case next to the old one and see what, if any changes they made to it.

The following users liked this post:
Gamma742 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

well since I started this thing here noticing some transfer after riding it like I stole it for a month, then based on Steve's discovery and recommendation I followed up with no measurable transfer after a month of keeping the rpm's below 4k..about to embark on a 2000 mile trip to Glacier end of July which I plan on riding any ole' way I want without trying to consider this issue along the way..when I return I should have a good real World normal riding example of what I can expect until more root cause information becomes available..for the time being my situation is at least manageable unless it turns out what's causing this can become progressively worse..but honestly, after my recent experimenting with not exceeding 4K, and with my tune and torque curve it's been thoroughly enjoyable and if nothing changes I think I could live happily with it not spending a lot of time between 4-5 K...that being said, would love to see resolution to the problem and would be first in line to have it addressed

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-30-2017 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Number 6 (06-30-2017), stixvrad (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Has the piston for the hydraulic clutch changed in the M8's or the rod? Is the piston cutting off the ability to vent down the mainshaft when the clutch is disengaged? Creating a hydro lock if you will, then when the clutch is engaged the primary just sucks the fluid down the main shaft like a straw once the pressure is released. Like priming a pump.

Just throwing out some thoughts.

Mark

The test that I am using only requires shifting the bike twice at lower RPM. 1st shift to 2nd @ 2000 shift to 3rd @ 2000 then take the engine up to above 4000 RPM for ~ 5 minutes of operation. Stop and check for transfer. I have done the test in 2nd, 3rd or 4th never shifting and it does the same exact thing so I determined it was RPM related not driveline speed related. Does not appear to matter how much load is being placed on the driveline as I have tried different amounts with no real measurable change. So it appears to be strictly related to inputshaft RPM. No external leaks anywhere and the transmission oil ends up in the primary oil.

So I start looking for differences from the M8 to Twin cam system and there are very few. The biggest one being the transmission case. The case appears to be smaller on the M8. This is why I removed the Oil fill and tested venting very early on. I can also share that as RPM increases, so does the rate that the fluid transfer occurs.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 06-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigiron (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Both 107 and the 114?

There is a lot of pages on this thread and I read through half. Didn't see a delineation between the 107 and 114. Can I assume this issue is identical for both the 107 and the 114? Probably the same exact parts and configuration when it came to the parts and pieces causing the fluid pass-through? Same trans and primary?

Mark

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?