Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
I also said that jumping from the limited number of posts here to something like "all these bikes suck" is a bad conclusion.
You show me a post of mine using these words and I'll be happy to respond to you jack. Until then you won't get another reply from me.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:22 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
You show me a post of mine using these words and I'll be happy to respond to you jack. Until then you won't get another reply from me.
FWIW - the jumping to conclusions part of my earlier post was aimed at other posters. There have been a couple of posters who've mentioned things like "I'm worried about riding too far from home because of all the oil problems these bikes have", or posters that have come to the conclusion that a recall is necessary.

Have you posted about the recall possibility?

A recall implies that all the bikes need to be fixed (or at least looked at).

I don't know what I wrote that could **** you off... and for that matter I don't really care. I acknowledged that you have a right to be pissed off and then you got pissed off at me.

We probably shouldn't reply to each other at this point.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
The oil pump issue was a supplier issue and has been resolved. I do believe people are having an oil transfer issue but it only happens at an RPM that I rarely hit. I agree that two bikes aren't a large sample size, but one bike is even less (the issues on your one bike). However I do believe these issues are real and I'm sorry you are experiencing them. I have been checking my fluids since reading this post and I have not be experiencing any transfer, but I am not typically in the very high RPM ranges for any extended period of time, so that's probably why.
I don't think we should get hung up on the high rpm theory (3500 and over). I can assure you mine has not ever seen 4000 rpm and probably 3500 only briefly, yet I have managed to transfer 3 times for a total of about 30 ounces in 2700 miles. I do however agree that higher rpm seems to increase the transfer rate but I think those that have the problem will have transfer even at lower rpm's but at a lesser rate.

Last edited by Bobjv; 06-26-2017 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigiron (08-08-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
I don't know why we get hung so up on the high rpm theory (3500 and over). I can assure you mine has not ever seen 4000 rpm and probably 3500 only briefly, yet I have managed to transfer 3 times for a total of about 30 ounces in 2700 miles. I do however agree that higher rpm seems to increase the transfer rate but I think those that have the problem will have transfer even at lower rpm's but at a lesser rate.
I couldn't agree more. My primary was overfull by 14 oz's at 2500 miles with a 1k mixed in. Reports are that RPM's may amplify the issue but honestly the M8 has gobs of torque at ANY RPM. You don't need to go over 3500 to 4K. At least I don't.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Being as some people are having this issue and others aren't, I'm thinking we can eliminate it's an issue with the design of something. If the design was bad everyone would be having the same issue. So that leads to a part issue. Are there multiple suppliers? Is it a bad batch at the solo supplier? Was it an installation issue? It's going to be interesting to find out.

Mathis (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

FWIW I just got back from a trip to the Ozarks. 2025 miles, two-up, fully loaded WITH a T-Bag on the Tour-Pak. High 80's and some low 90's with my lowers on my oil-cooled RGS. Trans is still full. Buil date 10/3/16. Ran 80ish on the Interstate, and slower on the two-lanes. Only above about 3200 while upshifting. YMMV.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
OK when you say new tranny, what exacty do you mean? New case and all internal parts or just new internals, trap door off and new gears and shaft? Sure hate to think they would have to actually pull the entire trans off the scoot........

Waiting for your follow up report, I am calling HD Customer support today due to the issue and dealers not having a clue here.............UPDATE: Called HD Customer Care, they took my vin and gave me a reference number and advised me to have a dealer look at it and call them. The Customer Care Agent said..........wait for it.............THEY WERE NOT AWARE OF SUCH AN ISSUE!

MotoJockey, what dealer is doing your work?

Eagle Out
Eagle, to be quite honest, almost to the point of embarrassment, I don't know exactly what I mean when I say "New Tranny", lol. Because when the Service Dept called me and said that they also detected the Tranny Fluid transfer, and said that MoCo themselves decided to send out a "New Tranny", I was so excited that this issue was really a thing and that they were/are taking care of it, I did not ask too many questions about how deep they were going to have to dive in to replace said Tranny. I thought about it later, but didn't want to call and bug them about it when I can play 50 questions face to face with them when I pick the bike up this week. I will try to get as much info as I can from them while I'm there.

As far as some other posters talking about they may not have transferred any fluid at this point because they rarely take their bike up to 4k RPM, I'm pretty sure that my Service Dept. DID NOT take that bike up to and above 4k RPM for a long period of time just to test the theory that it seems to transfer more at the RPM. Like I said, I'm not fully armed with all the answers to all my question that I have..... yet. What he told me was that they put dye in the Tranny and in about 10 miles there was evidence of it in the Primary. 10 miles seems to be a short distance, but I guess it didn't take much for it to show up and get detected on the other side. In my opinion, I think this is the easiest, quickest, and most precise way of determining if the stuff over here is going over there. No questions about how much fluid transferred and measuring and the sorts. It's either there, or it's not.

I think I posted it earlier, but I bought my this bike at "HD of Fresno"....... great crew! No issues with these guys and they JUMPED on this problem for me.

The following 4 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (06-27-2017), bad tappets (06-27-2017), Bigiron (08-08-2017), Max Headflow (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Eagle, to be quite honest, almost to the point of embarrassment, I don't know exactly what I mean when I say "New Tranny", lol. Because when the Service Dept called me and said that they also detected the Tranny Fluid transfer, and said that MoCo themselves decided to send out a "New Tranny", I was so excited that this issue was really a thing and that they were/are taking care of it, I did not ask too many questions about how deep they were going to have to dive in to replace said Tranny. I thought about it later, but didn't want to call and bug them about it when I can play 50 questions face to face with them when I pick the bike up this week. I will try to get as much info as I can from them while I'm there.

As far as some other posters talking about they may not have transferred any fluid at this point because they rarely take their bike up to 4k RPM, I'm pretty sure that my Service Dept. DID NOT take that bike up to and above 4k RPM for a long period of time just to test the theory that it seems to transfer more at the RPM. Like I said, I'm not fully armed with all the answers to all my question that I have..... yet. What he told me was that they put dye in the Tranny and in about 10 miles there was evidence of it in the Primary. 10 miles seems to be a short distance, but I guess it didn't take much for it to show up and get detected on the other side. In my opinion, I think this is the easiest, quickest, and most precise way of determining if the stuff over here is going over there. No questions about how much fluid transferred and measuring and the sorts. It's either there, or it's not.

I think I posted it earlier, but I bought my this bike at "HD of Fresno"....... great crew! No issues with these guys and they JUMPED on this problem for me.
Useful post.. This is a new problem.. Not knowing where to look on the issue, it's really cost effective for HD to take the whole tranny back for examination. I still think that the clutch possibly has something to do with it..

103Eagle (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep be very interested in what they actually replace or fix, not to mention if it solves the issue. I would hate to think the whole trans (case and all) needs to be replaced. Man you need to unbolt the swingarm to do so I am pretty sure. Lots of stuff to remove, maybe even easier to remove the motor from the frame, not sure. Just thinkin out loud, the more stuff taken apart, the more chance for issues later, bolts workin out, chipped paint, etc, etc. Again prefer to open the trap door, primary covers and insert new gear set......if possible.

Considering it does not seem to be an issue on many M8's, I would assume its either a supplier issue or machine issue with tolerances thus oil passing where it should not. I just hope that its a simpler fix rather than major and not a lot of people have to deal with it. Agree it seems to point at the clutch rod area and main output shaft. I also have doubt about the rpm issue, last few times I noticed loss, rpms were kept below 4-4500rpm. Agree it may be worse at higher limit but seems like its there no matter where you run.

I am going to drain and refill my trans and primary, check engine oil level (I don't think the trans oil is goin there). I will measure the amounts goin in and comming out. I want to watch it again for awhile and also see how others fix turn out.

Motojockey....Keep us posted, hope all goes well!

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 06-27-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,441 Posts

The issue is real... and it seems to be worse at higher rpm.....

How many are affected we may never know. I'm sure there are several to many that have it and don't know because no one has inspected their primary before dumping the fluid. If just an ounce is transferred, that is a problem. It can only get worse over time, doubt it will fix itself

At this point, it needs to be determined if it is a design flaw, or a manufacturing issue...

If it's a design flaw, everybody with that trans/part is at risk....

If it's a manufacturing issue, like the cam plate debris, the number of bikes at risk can be determined (like the '12 voltage regulator issue)....

I hope there is an answer before too long...

Many smarter than me can chime in... but I thought the trans is the same between twin cams and M8 engines, except for the anti-backlash first gear and new main shaft bearing in the door (bearing support plate).... not sure the design will be at fault, unless there are changes I am unaware of...

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?