Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Why put any fluid in the trans at all then, lol. None to transfer, problem solved

Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Nope not a drop yet in 5300 now

Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Got off the phone with HD Customer Service( on hold for 22 minutes),,, The dealer did open a Ticket on the Migration, but HD Customer Service told me my dealer contacted an HD Tech at 10:30am about my bike migration & the Techs notes state "It is designed to do this" "It okay if some Fluid transfers from the Transmission into the Primary, even if there is no Oil on the Trans Dipstick,,, the transmission will be okay" WTF are these people smoking?
Hmmm??
Designed, huh?

My service writer said; "it's physically impossible to transfer oil from Trans to primary....................

Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told very similarly, however they would not put it in writing .

Old 06-22-2018, 02:39 AM
alexobelix
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2017 RGS didn't transfer in the first 2000mi. Now after a 2200mi roundrip the dipstick is dry completely. I will bring it to a dealer tomorrow an I'm curious what they will tell me.

After the warranty period I will try the 2014 3-piece pushrod (parts are allready here) and if that doesn't help i will try the "$tonecold-fix" (I got 2 nuts made by a good fried).

Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Got off the phone with HD Customer Service( on hold for 22 minutes),,, The dealer did open a Ticket on the Migration, but HD Customer Service told me my dealer contacted an HD Tech at 10:30am about my bike migration & the Techs notes state "It is designed to do this" "It okay if some Fluid transfers from the Transmission into the Primary, even if there is no Oil on the Trans Dipstick,,, the transmission will be okay" WTF are these people smoking?
Did this person sound like they had a middle eastern accent? In the back ground could you also hear them telling someone how to reset the cable box?

Old 06-24-2018, 05:28 PM
fishtale
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tbob
Did this person sound like they had a middle eastern accent? In the back ground could you also hear them telling someone how to reset the cable box?
Now that's funny

Old 06-27-2018, 03:53 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
$ .85 - 11143 Retaining RIng
$11.00 - 37909-90 Retaining Ring
$ 9.79 - 37092-06 Clutch Release Rod
$ 4.38 - 37000113 Clutch ROd End
$ 9.79 - 37000112 Pushrod , Clutch Release Plate
$35.81 Total

So anybody with a bad migration problem willing to spend $35.81 on boardtracker to fix it? If you live close enough to Sparks or Gilbert I'll even install this for you. I think it can all be done through the derby cover. Probably take less than an hour. By the way, this is basically the fix that Mark from Baker Driveline prescibed. I think his parts were slightly more expensive.
I just ordered these parts. I feel like a big weight has been lifted - although I was trying to boost my post count so I could order $toneCold's kit so that is still in the back of my mind.

Thank you everyone for providing awareness of this problem and identifying what works and what does not work.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,271 Likes on 431 Posts

I took my bike to the shop today for the 10k service (I bought it 1 year ago this week).

I told them that I have had to add transmission fluid and that there were no signs of leaking. I asked if they could measure the primary fluid when they drain it. This is what I was told:
Harley has a protocol to follow when someone complains. They will verify my fluid levels (in this case along with the 10k service). I am to take the bike and ride 1000 miles and bring it back. If and only if my trans fluid is low, they will drain and measure the primary fluid to see if they find it (i.e., there is more primary fluid than they put in). If that happens, they will be able to order the parts to address the transfer issue. Otherwise, nothing will be done.

My transfer has been very sporadic. I check it fairly often. I just noticed that the trans fluid was low once, in fact the stick was dry. I added about 6 oz. It has hasn't lost any since (over 2k miles).

Last edited by hairymoth; 06-27-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:12 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
I took my bike to the shop today for the 10k service (I bought it 1 year ago this week).

I told them that I have had to add transmission fluid and that there were no signs of leaking. I asked if they could measure the primary fluid when they drain it. This is what I was told:
Harley has a protocol to follow when someone complains. They will verify my fluid levels (in this case along with the 10k service). I am to take the bike and ride 1000 miles and bring it back. If and only if my trans fluid is low, they will drain and measure the primary fluid to see if they find it (i.e., there is more primary fluid than they put in). If that happens, they will be able to order the parts to address the transfer issue. Otherwise, nothing will be done.

My transfer has been very sporadic. I check it fairly often. I just noticed that the trans fluid was low once, in fact the stick was dry. I added about 6 oz. It has hasn't lost any since (over 2k miles).
You know what? Screw them. If they don't want to own up to this crap and tell some story that some migration is normal than I consider them to be unreasonable. I will install a fix. If they try to void my warranty I will raise holy hell.

It's very weak sauce they are bringing though. Very weak.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?