Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:22 PM
miketami
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading these pages for months. Just did 5k service and transferred 14oz in 4000 miles.
2018 road king special
Talked to dealer who called HD. They informed me a new transmission was the answer and it has been ordered. I know that has had mixed results from on this thread. I will keep you all posted with my results.
Not real excited about this as I bought two of these bikes. The wife's has to few miles to know, but we head out this weekend and we shall see.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by miketami
I have been reading these pages for months. Just did 5k service and transferred 14oz in 4000 miles.
2018 road king special
Talked to dealer who called HD. They informed me a new transmission was the answer and it has been ordered. I know that has had mixed results from on this thread. I will keep you all posted with my results.
Not real excited about this as I bought two of these bikes. The wife's has to few miles to know, but we head out this weekend and we shall see.
That's great that they are replacing the trans without the fill and check after 1000 miles routine.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:13 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d give you an update.

Unfortunately after 600 miles the transmission migration is back.

Everything was looking good until yesterday when I went to the Trough of Bowland in the North of England.

The area is very hilly and a goes on for nearly 100 miles. You spend most of the journey in 2 nd and 3 rd gear steep hills up and down, lots of engine breaking.

Trans was full before we set off but on return was down to the 1/2 way mark on the dip stick.

I checked it again this morning and it’s definitely losing fluid.

I’m off to the dealer this morning to give him the news and il be following it up with an email to the gent I met at the bike show last year.

It’s now time for the gloves to come off so we will see. I really like the bike but I have a 2000 touring holiday in 14 weeks time to the North of Scotland so there needs to be something positive done before I go. Il keep you updated as things progress.

Sorry it’s not good news, I genuinely wanted this to work, not just for me but for all the others out there that have the same problem.

Ride safe

Last edited by reddog8145; 04-29-2018 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 9 users liked this post by reddog8145:
103Eagle (04-29-2018), 2013superglideseattle (04-29-2018), dlesh0001 (04-29-2018), F150HD (04-29-2018), FM500 (04-29-2018), GPHDXLC (04-29-2018), mjwebb (04-29-2018), MotoJockey (04-29-2018), Northernproducer (04-29-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d give you an update.

Unfortunately after 600 miles the transmission migration is back.

Everything was looking good until yesterday when I went to the Trough of Bowland in the North of England.

The area is very hilly and a goes on for nearly 100 miles. You spend most of the journey in 2 nd and 3 rd gear steep hills up and down, lots of engine breaking.

Trans was full before we set off but on return was down to the 1/2 way mark on the dip stick.

I checked it again this morning and it’s definitely losing fluid.

I’m off to the dealer this morning to give him the news and il be following it up with an email to the gent I met at the bike show last year.

It’s now time for the gloves to come off so we will see. I really like the bike but I have a 2000 touring holiday in 14 weeks time to the North of Scotland so there needs to be something positive done before I go. Il keep you updated as things progress.

Sorry it’s not good news, I genuinely wanted this to work, not just for me but for all the others out there that have the same problem.

Ride safe
ugh, thanks for the update..looks like folks here will be reaching out to Stonecold for assistance since he apparently has had more success mitigating and/or resolving this problem so far than the engineers that built these engines

Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d give you an update. Unfortunately after 600 miles the transmission migration is back. Everything was looking good until yesterday when I went to the Trough of Bowland in the North of England.

The area is very hilly and a goes on for nearly 100 miles. You spend most of the journey in 2 nd and 3 rd gear steep hills up and down, lots of engine breaking. Trans was full before we set off but on return was down to the 1/2 way mark on the dip stick. I checked it again this morning and it’s definitely losing fluid.

Ride safe
Sorry to here you're results with the Harley fix were negative.

I will have the machined nuts for my fix soon. For foreign customers I suggest buying the nut, seal, and O-ring and having your side cover machined locally. That keeps you from having to ship the core (your old side cover) back to me or paying the added price of the side cover. I haven't checked on shipping to the UK or Europe yet, so I need to do that. If you PM your address or postal code to me I could check on that. Domestically I will charge $50 for the nut, seal, and O-ring or $140 with a $60 core charge, so $200 shipped.

If you haven't yet read the thread "The Fix Is In!", reading it will give you a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about as my fix. At least the first several pages, it got hijacked later in the thread by those trying the Harley fix.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Last edited by $tonecold; 04-29-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I picked up my HD Kit yesterday. All fluid levels checked before the days events. I've been running my transmission slightly over filled. Keep it about a 1/16" above the full mark. Started doing this as a margin of safety and I can also feel in the clutch lever when the primary becomes over filled. The clutch gets extremely stiff when the primary needs to take a dump. I've put a road service kit together so the primary can take a dump and refill tranny when on the road.

Since I started overfilling,,, I know,, it's a very bad practice. My transfer has slowed down. But not gone by any means. Yesterdays riding produced no transfer,,, NONE. Checked it at the dealer after they put a set of tires on the bike,,,, no transfer,,,, I checked it two hours after I got back from the dealer. No transfer after a 180 miles round trip. That trip was ridden at 80 mph when on the hwy with some city lights and stuff.

Later that afternoon wife and I road the King to Checotah, Ok. for a cruise night. 90 mile round trip. Rode back roads at 60 to 70 mph to the event. Got to the cruise and inflected all manor of abuse to the clutch and tranny and then rode back home in a large group to my home for a late night party. All manor of abuse inflected on I-40 & Hwy 75. Speeds in excess of 100 mph and just general juvenile behaviour. Wake up this morning,,, check the trans, level,,, no transfer,,, None.

Have the bike out drinking coffee and deciding where todays ride will take us neighbors start gathering. It's decided we should take a ride out to the local lakes and wake the campers up to the beautiful morning we are experiencing. One 50 mile ride later,,, after behaving ourselves and the clutch tightening up I found it had transferred 4+ oz. Check the dip stick,, it's on the low mark. Loosen primary cover and it takes a dump.

I will ride the King to work Monday and Tuesday. Thats a pretty sedate grind of 90 miles round trip. I will try to get the kit installed later in the week. It's forecast to rain and maybe twisters,,, joy joy. And will go to the Iron Horse Rally in Fort Smith next Saturday. I would really like to have it in by next Saturday if work and weather allow.

It makes no sense why or how my bike transfers.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:56 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

good luck, hoping to hear over time validation is solid..same here, as I've stated from the start, no rhyme or reason on the confounding periodic randomness of fluid level fluctuation..it's enough to **** off The Good Humor Man

Old 04-29-2018, 07:24 PM
250starbuck
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had that kit installed on my bike, in 240 miles transfer was 6 to 7oz. Dealer is calling Harley first thing Monday morning. No very confident of a fix.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:32 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 250starbuck
Just had that kit installed on my bike, in 240 miles transfer was 6 to 7oz. Dealer is calling Harley first thing Monday morning. No very confident of a fix.

someone replied previously, maybe in this thread or somewhere else, that the distance from add to full on the stick was 3-4 oz.

I don't know if that is correct or incorrect.

Did you or the dealer add any fluid in that 240 miles? How exactly did they know it was 6-7 oz.?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

As I have mentioned here before, mine sits on the add mark. Just got back from Utah, 1800 miles of up and down and all around. Got back home and Primary level is spot on and trans is sittin on the add mark. Interesting observation is if I fill it, It drops to add. For now my full mark is relocated to the add mark. Good Times.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?