Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:57 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145

i don’t think HD will be inclined to release anything over the counter until it’s decided that a fix has been identified. I’m trying to get as many miles on my machine as possible in as quick a time as possible to see if the parts fitted to mine could be the answer everyone has been waiting for. I’m out again on Monday night, to rack up the miles. It’s done just over 400 miles so far with the transmission staying full, I think 1000 miles will be the bench mark. I should be able to rack up at least another 100 miles on Monday and hopefully the transmission will still be showing full.

Ride safe.
My transfer is spotty to say the least. May transfer 3 oz in 200 miles or none in a thousand. I got fed up with and over filled 3 oz. and that seemed to slow it down compared to it's ecentric past.

My powertrain warranty has been voided. So HD isn't going to try the fix on my bike anyway. So why don't the idiots just sell me the slinger and gasket kit? I'd just as soon do the install myself and keep the morons away from my bike. And it looks like it can be bought in the UK and Europe. Must be the old screw the home crowd move and kiss everybody else's ***. Seems to be the American way now.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
My transfer is spotty to say the least. May transfer 3 oz in 200 miles or none in a thousand. I got fed up with and over filled 3 oz. and that seemed to slow it down compared to it's ecentric past.

My powertrain warranty has been voided. So HD isn't going to try the fix on my bike anyway. So why don't the idiots just sell me the slinger and gasket kit? I'd just as soon do the install myself and keep the morons away from my bike. And it looks like it can be bought in the UK and Europe. Must be the old screw the home crowd move and kiss everybody else's ***. Seems to be the American way now.
no ****..maybe pm one of our across the pond riders to get you one and pay for shipping..$20 maybe..$30?..dunno' but might be worthwhile I guess

Old 04-14-2018, 02:51 AM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no ****..maybe pm one of our across the pond riders to get you one and pay for shipping..$20 maybe..$30?..dunno' but might be worthwhile I guess
Psyshack brother- happy to try and get one here in Queensland and send it over......I’ll give em a call Monday and see if they are available......

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

go get one and enjoy..reality is odds are heavily stacked in your favor it won't be an issue..still by far the exception not the rule, no reason to believe otherwise imo..but I understand some folks apprehension...what if it's me!
If I wasn't planning on a cross country trip this summer, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, I don't want to spend $27k on a new motorcycle then head out on a 7k mile trip and run risk of having to deal with transmission issue. If Harley announced a fix then I could buy with confidence and ride with peace of mind. Not enough time yet to know if the unofficial moco fix is going to work. One guy on other thread says it's not working on his after 800 miles. This thread is almost a year old and still no fix.

Advocatus Diaboli (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Glide
If I wasn't planning on a cross country trip this summer, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, I don't want to spend $27k on a new motorcycle then head out on a 7k mile trip and run risk of having to deal with transmission issue. If Harley announced a fix then I could buy with confidence and ride with peace of mind. Not enough time yet to know if the unofficial moco fix is going to work. One guy on other thread says it's not working on his after 800 miles. This thread is almost a year old and still no fix.

I'd be more worried about shredding a tire than the oil issue.

mjwebb (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:07 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
Psyshack brother- happy to try and get one here in Queensland and send it over......I’ll give em a call Monday and see if they are available......
Thanks!

Don't spend a lot of time on it. But it would be great to hear what a dealer near you has to say about it.

I just got off the phone with the dealer I purchased the bike from and the SM is going to look into it for me also. He is also going to look into the latest oil pump revisions and see what it will take to get the newest one of those in my hands if possible...

Old 04-14-2018, 03:48 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

that's been the perplexing thing for me..get your hopes up thinking it 'self resolved' and I'm 'out of the woods' then random period check and it's dropped, albeit smaller amounts in my case..I gave up long ago on the tiring analysis paralysis trying to correlate conditions timed to transfer occurrences

I write software and I have rule about bugs. The ones that fix themselves, always come back. I'd just as well have something that is broke stay broke until I fix it.

The following 4 users liked this post by SpringerRider:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-15-2018), FM500 (04-15-2018), MotoJockey (04-14-2018), PA1195 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
I write software and I have rule about bugs. The ones that fix themselves, always come back. I'd just as well have something that is broke stay broke until I fix it.
I know..I work in IT Info Sec and we laugh when we see trouble tickets closed with comments "self resolved"

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
FM500 (04-15-2018), MotoJockey (04-14-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Advocatus Diaboli
Elite HDF Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I’ve been tossing around the idea of trading in my 2016 Road Glide Ultra (22,000 miles on it) for a 2018 Road Glide Ultra, but after reading this thread, I’m thinking I should hold off until the issue is resolved.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli
I’ve been tossing around the idea of trading in my 2016 Road Glide Ultra (22,000 miles on it) for a 2018 Road Glide Ultra, but after reading this thread, I’m thinking I should hold off until the issue is resolved.
your 2016 RGU is a fine ride and the most refined and mature TC ever made and with only 22K on the clock it's got a ton of useful life left...unless you got an unbelievable trade in value that was too good to refuse (which is highly unlikely obviously) I can't say taking a beating on $$$ is wise

Advocatus Diaboli (04-15-2018)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?