Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:41 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=103Eagle;17183804]
Originally Posted by reddog8145
Hello Guys,

As promised here’s an update re the road test of the parts fitted to my bike by the tech in early Jan of this year.

Yo Reddog, hope it stays good for you. Can you tell us if the work done on your scoot was the "kit" # 36300028 listed in the 'FIX IS IN" forum? Or list the parts used if there are part numbers?

Thanks Dude

Eagle Out
Sorry Eagle Out, I have no information on what parts were fitted or any part numbers.
My bike was collected and returned by the dealer so I never got to speak with the tech.
All the information that I got was from other techs who were in the work shop and witnessed the work being done.
The only info I got was what The parts looked like that were fitted and the info the factory tech gave to the staff.
The parts were all brought by the tech who told one of the dealers techs that my bike was the first to have these parts fitted. It may be however that others have had the same parts fitted by now as the work on my bike was carried out in the first week of Jan.
I will try to find out from my dealer if there are any part numbers when I next speak to them. Sorry I can’t be anymore helpful at this time.
I think the big test will be the day ride, which will really test things and il let everyone know how it goes.

Regards

The following 2 users liked this post by reddog8145:
103Eagle (03-16-2018), SomeOld Biker (04-11-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the reply, curious if the slinger/deflector was the white or black version.....if that was put in.

Eagle

Old 04-10-2018, 01:04 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
Hello Guys,

As promised here’s an update re the road test of the parts fitted to my bike by the tech in early Jan of this year.
I got out for my first ride yesterday and covered 100 miles riding on urban rural and motorway ( that’s a freeway ) roads.
I rode in congested traffic with lots of use of the clutch and 1st and 2nd gear, conducted rapid acceleration on joining motorways, taking the rpm up and over 4000 rpm, rode at national speed limit of 70 mph over 40 miles and took the speed up to and over .........a lot and maintained that speed for a number of minutes . In all I tried to replicate the riding conditions that have resulted in transfer, with the exception of the high revs and speed, I normally change in the 3000 to 3500 range. My last outing before the new parts were added was 100 miles on the types of road stated which resulted in a drop of trans oil on the dip stick from full to half.
Yesterday, before starting out I checked the level which was at the full mark. On my return home and after the engine had gone cold I checked it again and it was still at the full mark.
So far so good. I have had to report my ride to my dealer so that it can be recorded and if all goes well passed on to HD Technical.
As a strange twist the cluch is now lighter to operate and the bike gear changes are much slicker and need less effort, which is a major plus as it was one of the issues I took my bike back to the dealer to look at when I first took delivery of it. It still has the old Harly clunk but the gears are so much smoother. I commented on this to my dealer who told me some work was also done around the clutch rod during the installation of the additional parts, which was the first time anyone had mentioned this to me.
Obviously it is too soon to give this a full thumbs up but we appear to be going in the right direction. Unfortunately we have snow forecast for next week so it will probably be the following week before I can get out again. I have a days ride planned up to the lakes with the bike fully loaded and passenger over Easter, and I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Ride safe.
Reddog, any more riding since this post?

Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain

Certainly have, I’ve now notched up just over 400 miles. I’ve ridden on the motorway for about 150 miles of that at speeds 70 mph+, 40 miles in rush hour traffic, including stop start road works for over 2 miles, the rest has been on twisty lanes through the Lake District, which is also quite a hilly area. All this has ensured lots of clutch work and been done with both a passenger and loaded panniers ( saddle bags). To date the transmission is still showing full, so it’s still looking positive. I’ve updated my dealer who has updated Harley. I also asked about part numbers but all my dealer was prepared to tell me was that in addition to what I had previously been told, seels of a new design and material had been installed.

I’ve tried to replicate the conditions that resulted in my fluid loss, which is why my rides need a passenger.

I’m hoping to get out again soon but I’m reliant on my wife who is my full time passenger and who seems to think her business is more important than my transmission testing ��

Last edited by reddog8145; 04-11-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. I've been holding off on a M8 for six months to see if Harley fixes this issue. Planning a cross country ride this summer. Sounds promising but don't want to head out on a M8 without a fix.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Glide
Thanks. I've been holding off on a M8 for six months to see if Harley fixes this issue. Planning a cross country ride this summer. Sounds promising but don't want to head out on a M8 without a fix.
go get one and enjoy..reality is odds are heavily stacked in your favor it won't be an issue..still by far the exception not the rule, no reason to believe otherwise imo..but I understand some folks apprehension...what if it's me!

Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I went to a local dealer today and tried to buy the slinger and gasket kit. Part #36300028, They would not sell it to me. Locked up in HD's retard warranty system. Service manager is going to look into it further for me. But I have no hope it will play out. They really are a craptastic American Company.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:42 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain

Originally Posted by psyshack
I went to a local dealer today and tried to buy the slinger and gasket kit. Part #36300028, They would not sell it to me. Locked up in HD's retard warranty system. Service manager is going to look into it further for me. But I have no hope it will play out. They really are a craptastic American Company.
i don’t think HD will be inclined to release anything over the counter until it’s decided that a fix has been identified. I’m trying to get as many miles on my machine as possible in as quick a time as possible to see if the parts fitted to mine could be the answer everyone has been waiting for. I’m out again on Monday night, to rack up the miles. It’s done just over 400 miles so far with the transmission staying full, I think 1000 miles will be the bench mark. I should be able to rack up at least another 100 miles on Monday and hopefully the transmission will still be showing full.

Ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Just checking back in here after a little hiatus... after my initial 12oz transfer last year on the way to Sturgis (between miles 8,000 and 9,000), I hadn’t seen any more transfer until recently (between miles 12,000 and 13,000) when there was about 6 oz of transfer... no idea what circumstances are causing my transfer.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:21 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Just checking back in here after a little hiatus... after my initial 12oz transfer last year on the way to Sturgis (between miles 8,000 and 9,000), I hadn’t seen any more transfer until recently (between miles 12,000 and 13,000) when there was about 6 oz of transfer... no idea what circumstances are causing my transfer.
that's been the perplexing thing for me..get your hopes up thinking it 'self resolved' and I'm 'out of the woods' then random period check and it's dropped, albeit smaller amounts in my case..I gave up long ago on the tiring analysis paralysis trying to correlate conditions timed to transfer occurrences

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?