Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:03 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Count on it fellers......

Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Count on it fellers......
Like everyone else I am anxiously awaiting results of the two folks on here that are getting new transmissions. Any info about rather the new transmission is different than the old one would be a real value! Thank you!!

My bike has been seen by the dealer and is currently in "watch mode" with regards to the primary being overfull. They emptied/filled all fluids and are watching the transmission level as well as the Engine oil level. It sounded like they were as much concerned about it coming from the engine as they were the tranny (if not more so). Pretty depressing problem for me. Thank god I have a dealer that is being awesome and is totally focused on fixing whatever the issues.

Last edited by Macrunner; 06-25-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
New Tranny showed up at the Dealer today. Promised me I'd have it back under my butt for the Hollister Rally and a trip to the coast next weekend. When I pick it up I'll try to get as much info as I can from them about what MoCo has to say about all this. I'm curious as hell what they think...... don't know if they'll tell me anything, but I'm a gonna ask!
OK when you say new tranny, what exacty do you mean? New case and all internal parts or just new internals, trap door off and new gears and shaft? Sure hate to think they would have to actually pull the entire trans off the scoot........

Waiting for your follow up report, I am calling HD Customer support today due to the issue and dealers not having a clue here.............UPDATE: Called HD Customer Care, they took my vin and gave me a reference number and advised me to have a dealer look at it and call them. The Customer Care Agent said..........wait for it.............THEY WERE NOT AWARE OF SUCH AN ISSUE!

MotoJockey, what dealer is doing your work?

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 06-26-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Like everyone else I am anxiously awaiting results of the two folks on here that are getting new transmissions. Any info about rather the new transmission is different than the old one would be a real value! Thank you!!

My bike has been seen by the dealer and is currently in "watch mode" with regards to the primary being overfull. They emptied/filled all fluids and are watching the transmission level as well as the Engine oil level. It sounded like they were as much concerned about it coming from the engine as they were the tranny (if not more so). Pretty depressing problem for me. Thank god I have a dealer that is being awesome and is totally focused on fixing whatever the issues.
Mac, what does that mean watch mode? Have you been directed to bring it back after so many miles for a check or what? Not being sarcastic, just would like to know exactly what process they are following.........

Thanks in advance,
Eagle Out

Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Mac, what does that mean watch mode? Have you been directed to bring it back after so many miles for a check or what? Not being sarcastic, just would like to know exactly what process they are following.........

Thanks in advance,
Eagle Out
Watch mode is pretty much exactly how it sounds. HD has the dealer empty all fluids, then measure exactly what they put in all 3 holes. I was instructed not to fill anything, only watch the tranny and engine oil levels. Then ride 1K return to the dealer for verification, if the tranny and engine haven't gone down on the stick, I go another 1K. I am actually shocked to hear some are having transmissions replaced without having to go through this.

I've read on this thread a few others are in watch mode as well. I call it watch mode lack of a better word.

Last edited by Macrunner; 06-26-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Personally, I don't see any need to run my M8 above 4K RPM for anything more than just running up through the gears. It just doesn't need it for the riding I do. I'm usually short shifting and riding the torque curve. But, for guys that do look to exploit the 4 valve motor, this could be a major pita. Hopefully they get ahead of the issue. As supporters of HD , owners deserve nothing less.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I do my research before I jump into something new. I was going to trade in the fatty for a RGS but I think I'll wait for the 2018's. But it does sound like HD knows there is some sort of problem. Good luck...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdizle
I'm glad I do my research before I jump into something new. I was going to trade in the fatty for a RGS but I think I'll wait for the 2018's. But it does sound like HD knows there is some sort of problem. Good luck...
The problem with any forum is that all you read about are the issues. If someone doesn't have an issue with their product then they are the silent majority. I have two M8's with 7,500 combined miles on them and do not have this issue. Every product out there has issues. I doubt if you wait for the 2018 or 2020 models even that you will not read about other issues. At 3k RPMs my bike is traveling 75 MPH. At 3.5k RPMs my bike is traveling 85 MPH. Who is riding their bikes at 4k RPMs consistently? I'm sure there are people out there riding like that, but I suspect if they are then fluid transfer is probably the least of their issues IMHO.

Last edited by Klong4HD; 06-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Klong4HD:
borrec (06-26-2017), rjjj629 (06-26-2017), stixvrad (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
The problem with any forum is that all you read about are the issues. If someone doesn't have an issue with their product then they are the silent majority. I have two M8's with 7,500 combined miles on them and do not have this issue. Every product out there has issues. I doubt if you wait for the 2018 or 2020 models even that you will not read about other issues. At 3k RPMs my bike is traveling 75 MPH. At 3.5k RPMs my bike is traveling 85 MPH. Who is riding their bikes at 4k RPMs consistently? I'm sure there are people out there riding like that but I suspect if they are then fluid transfer it's probably the least of their issues IMHO.
Same here. For sh*ts and giggles I'll check my trans level tonight.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
The problem with any forum is that all you read about are the issues. If someone doesn't have an issue with their product then they are the silent majority. I have two M8's with 7,500 combined miles on them and do not have this issue. Every product out there has issues. I doubt if you wait for the 2018 or 2020 models even that you will not read about other issues. At 3k RPMs my bike is traveling 75 MPH. At 3.5k RPMs my bike is traveling 85 MPH. Who is riding their bikes at 4k RPMs consistently? I'm sure there are people out there riding like that, but I suspect if they are then fluid transfer is probably the least of their issues IMHO.
Well said, touring at over 85mph is no longer touring to me!

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?