Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

If they were all doing it it would be a easy fix. Any machined part has to be checked and lot numbers production dates and so on. Logistics would be a nightmare.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I just got my 2015 RG back from being dyno tuned yesterday. Was getting ready to take a ride today and decided to check fluids before taking off. The transmission fluid wasn’t even on the stick. I don’t know how much it will take to bring it up to full since I didn’t have any transmission lube to add. So I now know I own two Harleys with the transfer problem. Looks like I’ll be getting another side cover machined for a seal.
Well if the fluid fresh and the same in both holes, just move it back to where it belong!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well if the fluid fresh and the same in both holes, just move it back to where it belong!
Yeah, that won’t work, I use Redline. I may put some Formula plus in until I see if the different pushrod is going to solve the problem.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
What are we to do, install a valve to drain oil out of the primary and pour it into Trans?
I didn't pay all of the money I did to 'oil change' in a parking lot...........

Old 03-10-2018, 07:45 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
What are we to do, install a valve to drain oil out of the primary and pour it into Trans?
If mine was as bad as yours I would drain the tranny put it in the primary and
let it idle in the drive until it comes apart. And I would do it every time they sent it back without a problem.

Last edited by tbob; 03-10-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Nor have I, but I just cannot knowingly allow it to run dry except when told to by the dealership! I found I can remove the drain plug and simply reinstall while watch the Primary level. Catch the oil in a clean drain pan, then pour it back into the transmission. No it's not the correct thing to have to do but it does work.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
If mine was as bad as yours I would drain the tranny put it in the primary and
let it idle in the drive until it comes apart. And I would do it every time they sent it back without a problem.
Im not even going to pretend that I know as much as some of the fine folks here on the Forum. What I do know is, I work around rotating high speed equipment, i.e. , pumps, blowers, generators, and when I was in the Navy... turbines. That being said, I think, when the transmission fluid moves to the primary, there is a point where they equalize. At this point, there is still enough oil in the transmission to keep it lubricated. This is just my opinion and a theory at best. It makes sense, or we wouldve heard about a tranny burning up while it is going down the road. Then we wouldve had a recall........ You can bet your bottom dollar that the MOCO knows this too. Like I said, this is just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
At this point, there is still enough oil in the transmission to keep it lubricated. This is just my opinion and a theory at best. It makes sense, or we wouldve heard about a tranny burning up while it is going down the road. Then we wouldve had a recall........ You can bet your bottom dollar that the MOCO knows this too. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
I think I heard Steve Cole say once that he got his transmission hot enough with a low supply of oil that it was beginning to make a little noise and was tightening up. Perhaps he can confirm this.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

3700 miles on the primary oil.

A bit overfilled if the details matter (they definitely do to me), but I did not do the 1k service, so theoretically it could have been this way since the service. If it is pumping anything into the primary I would tend to think it is engine oil, as the trans. level has not changed (at least not that you can see on the X of the dipstick) in the same 3700 miles, and the engine does eat a little oil.

Going to sample the trans. and primary to see what difference in makeup I can find (excluding clutch material) between the two.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalHDMC
3700 miles on the primary oil.

A bit overfilled if the details matter (they definitely do to me), but I did not do the 1k service, so theoretically it could have been this way since the service. If it is pumping anything into the primary I would tend to think it is engine oil, as the trans. level has not changed (at least not that you can see on the X of the dipstick) in the same 3700 miles, and the engine does eat a little oil.

Going to sample the trans. and primary to see what difference in makeup I can find (excluding clutch material) between the two.

Is the bike straight up or on the side stand. It has to be straight up to check the primary.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?