Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 AM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
If you take your listed bike in they will fix it at no charge.
My guess is you have to go through their entire procedure of them documenting which is a big hassle much rather fix it myself. If this fix works it will be on YouTube very quickly with a million views LOL

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (03-11-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
full on the stick to halfway on the stick, or half the fluid capacity which would be ~ a pint? if the latter did you pull the derby cover to verify it was way over full and overflowing? thanks
That was full on the dip stick to half on the dip stick, my transfer was registered at 3/4 ltr in 2000 miles.

Hope that helps

Old 03-10-2018, 04:00 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I just got my 2015 RG back from being dyno tuned yesterday. Was getting ready to take a ride today and decided to check fluids before taking off. The transmission fluid wasn’t even on the stick. I don’t know how much it will take to bring it up to full since I didn’t have any transmission lube to add. So I now know I own two Harleys with the transfer problem. Looks like I’ll be getting another side cover machined for a seal.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:04 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I just got my 2015 RG back from being dyno tuned yesterday. Was getting ready to take a ride today and decided to check fluids before taking off. The transmission fluid wasn’t even on the stick. I don’t know how much it will take to bring it up to full since I didn’t have any transmission lube to add. So I now know I own two Harleys with the transfer problem. Looks like I’ll be getting another side cover machined for a seal.
And you thought I was crazy!

Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
That was full on the dip stick to half on the dip stick, my transfer was registered at 3/4 ltr in 2000 miles.

Hope that helps
that's normal, they all do that, it's within spec..LOL

Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by tbob
And you thought I was crazy!
Well I don’t think I ever called anyone on this forum crazy. If I did I apologize. The transfer issue has been very real to me for several months. Hopefully my seal fix will work as planned and I won’t have to be concerned about it in the future.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I cant believe harley still hasnt found a remedy for this problem... I hope stonecold patents his fix so he can sell it to harley for $$$

Old 03-10-2018, 04:49 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I cant believe harley still hasnt found a remedy for this problem... I hope stonecold patents his fix so he can sell it to harley for $$$
Patents are pretty expensive and since I am basically modifying their parts they could take it without much problem. I wish they would. I’m pretty sure it will fix the problem and you all know who’s idea it was.

I think I might try the ‘14 CVO pushrod in the ‘15 to see if that works. If it does it is a pretty cheap fix, costs less than $40. I think Baker sent me a nut they think helps also. I would like to find something quick, easy, and not hard on the wallet. The machine work on the seal fix while not extremely expensive will still set you back $150.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:56 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Well I don’t think I ever called anyone on this forum crazy. If I did I apologize. The transfer issue has been very real to me for several months. Hopefully my seal fix will work as planned and I won’t have to be concerned about it in the future.
No sir you didn't it was just a statement . really never had a problem until the 16 was doing it.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Patents are pretty expensive and since I am basically modifying their parts they could take it without much problem. I wish they would. I’m pretty sure it will fix the problem and you all know who’s idea it was.

I think I might try the ‘14 CVO pushrod in the ‘15 to see if that works. If it does it is a pretty cheap fix, costs less than $40. I think Baker sent me a nut they think helps also. I would like to find something quick, easy, and not hard on the wallet. The machine work on the seal fix while not extremely expensive will still set you back $150.
Im excited to see if it will work and i dont even have an m8 hahaha
Its kinda weird though that harleys engineering team couldnt figure something out, considering they designed the motor to begin with. It begs the question did harley even acknowledge the problem and work on fixing it?

I just hope it gets figured out so the people with the issue can ride their bikes without worrying of trans fluid migration. I just cant believe this thread has 278 pages and its not about countersteering...

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?