Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
What a stupid comment.

Mine transfers 7ozs in 250 miles.
What am I supposed to do, drain the primary in a motel parking lot and pour it back into the trans? Repeat...just Repeat...............
I hate to say it but welcome to the club, mine is worse than yours. MoCo's answer is to bring it into a dealer every 500 miles and have it checked! Only problem is it only takes mine around 80 - 100 miles to transfer all but 4 oz out of the transmission. The last trip to the dealership you did not need the brakes much as it slowed you down pretty good each time you let off the throttle. It got louder and louder as it was driven. Dealership said just ride it in, so I did. So what's the point ofhaving a Touring model bike when you cannot Tour on it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Eccool (05-29-2018), GPHDXLC (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I hate to say it but welcome to the club, mine is worse than yours. MoCo's answer is to bring it into a dealer every 500 miles and have it checked! Only problem is it only takes mine around 80 - 100 miles to transfer all but 4 oz out of the transmission. The last trip to the dealership you did not need the brakes much as it slowed you down pretty good each time you let off the throttle. It got louder and louder as it was driven. Dealership said just ride it in, so I did. So what's the point ofhaving a Touring model bike when you cannot Tour on it!
Mines about the same. The dealer keeps telling me that they don't feel that it shifts "that bad".

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
What a stupid comment.

Mine transfers 7ozs in 250 miles.
What am I supposed to do, drain the primary in a motel parking lot and pour it back into the trans? Repeat...just Repeat...............
Well, what else you going to do? Don’t like being bent over, lawyer up man....... wtf

Old 02-26-2018, 09:51 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Why haven't you tried the cover you got from Mark @Baker Drivetrain??

According to Mark, it sounded promising..............

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
MadManMitch
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has nobody tried the CVO clutch pushrod swap that was mentioned on the German forum? Would be nice to know if anyone tried this.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManMitch
Has nobody tried the CVO clutch pushrod swap that was mentioned on the German forum? Would be nice to know if anyone tried this.
I’ve got one I’ll sell you, it’s brand new, never been installed.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:07 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Last week I looked at new softail (again) and asked the salesman how do you check the tranny fluid level--twice during the pitch. He told me that you don't. As far as he knew, all HD's are just drain and replace. I emailed him the service bulletin number when I got home--on my Sportster. I won't buy a new one, until I hear that this and the sumping thing is addressed. I went through this kind of crap with 01GW.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 PM
PoorUB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told to bring it in every 500 miles for checking. How you going to find a dealership every 500 miles and who's to say how long your going to have to wait at each dealership? Pretty much ruins the entire idea of getting out and enjoying the ride.
Plus some bikes can drain the tranny in 1,000 miles. I will put on an 800 mile day once in a while with dealers 300-400 miles apart. If it was my bike with the issue I would be pissed beyond description.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:16 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pappashelby
Got my 1k miles today so took it back so they could measure any transfer. Said it transferred 12oz and they called Harley. Harley told him there was bulletin and a kit coming out soon. Said he would get me back in soon as they get it. Time shall tell
Been a month so I stopped by yesterday to see if they had heard anything. Nothing, guess their idea of soon is different than mine

Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by kap1
Last week I looked at new softail (again) and asked the salesman how do you check the tranny fluid level--twice during the pitch. He told me that you don't. As far as he knew, all HD's are just drain and replace. I emailed him the service bulletin number when I got home--on my Sportster. I won't buy a new one, unti4l I hear that this and the sumping thing is addressed. I went through this kind of crap with 01GW.
Some salesmen are completely braindead. I hear you on waiting to buy. I was waiting only to realize im going to be waiting a long time. It took the moco what? 7 years to admit the cam chest tensioner issue was an issue and they still wont admit the compensators are junk. I decided to check out other brands as i wanted a new(to me) bike for this season.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?