Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:46 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Just curious, because this is still a thought that is crossing my mind in my decision to upgrade. I realize that this maybe a fix, but that being said... If you chose to do this to your bike are you essentially voiding your warranty? But ya, my real question is if something happens with your bike your essentially screwed as far a warranty is concerned I would assume??
I don't think they could. Maybe if something happened to your clutch or transmission they might try, but in most instances they aren't going to go looking in places that don't impact what they are warrantying. Also they would have to prove that the seal caused the problem you want warranted. Kind of hard to blame sumping on a seal in the transmission, especially since you fixed a problem they have admitted they don't have a solution for.

Originally Posted by ekb55
Took my 17 SGS with 2,300 back for the trans oil transfer issue. Service advised that the dealerships in this company (which has six stores) have only seen one other with this issue. Harley has advised them no fix at this time per the TA0022 bulletin, just fill and keep an eye on levels. The Touring Bikes are their most popular being sold at the dealerships. With that being said, they wanted me as a satisfied customer so I traded up to a new 115 Anniversary Street Glide with a deal I couldn't refuse. Hopefully, all will be well as this issue seems to be few and far between bikes.
Ya 2 of the 4 dealers by me that I'm in talks with about an '18 Anniversary Limited said they have not seen a single bike back for this issue. Both admitted they new about it, but said none have come back. I think it is very few that have the issue, but when you do have it, it doesn't make the issue any less frustrating. Ugg.. choices. I'm still concerned that if I pull the trigger my luck is.. I end up with a bike that has the issue. The biggest issue I have with that, is taking the thing back/forth to the dealer for documentation and fluid adjustments. That's a pain in the A$$! for me anyway
What you have to consider here is that unless somebody knows about it they aren't likely to find it. Had it not been for this thread I would have never checked my transmission and found it to be low. In the 35 years I have been riding Harleys, unless there was a puddle on the floor (and there never was from the transmission) then I didn't check it and when I occasionally would check it at service intervals, it was never low. If it had gotten low enough that it started making noise then I'm sure I would have discovered it, but it may have never gotten that low.

When a bike goes into the dealer for service they pull the plugs and drain all three holes at once. If it's not time to change the primary or transmission fluids they might not even check them. What I'm getting at is the problem could be for more common than what they are trying to lead you to believe. I mean, Steve Cole bought two '17 models and both of them transferred. Also every 2017 touring Harley he put on his dyno could be made to transfer by running it at high rpms for a few minutes. Just coincidence?

I'm not saying that they all do it or that even a high percentage of them do. What I am saying is that I think it is more prevalent than what these dealers are trying to make you believe.

There's a good chance that if you trade bikes you will get one that has no problems, but you do know about the problem and I'm sure you will be looking for it, so if the new bike has it you're going to find it. And that's a good thing. I would rather know about than not know, at least then you can monitor it.

The following 4 users liked this post by $tonecold:
GPHDXLC (01-26-2018), hattitude (01-27-2018), jamala00 (01-26-2018), Steve Helton (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

I do my own fluids and maybe I'm wrong here, but I "thought" if you did have the transfer issue, you were supposed to take it into the dealer so they could document it. (Again, I thought that was the case) but I'm probably wrong. That way if your 2 year warranty was past and then the MoCo came out with a fix, you'd still be covered.
You only need to have it documented once, just wait to take it in when they have the cure. Only if there were a recall could you get it fixed past warranty. Mine transfers less than 5 oz between service intervals so Im not real concerned. And 5oz is considered normal so they wont fix it anyway. My 2017 only did a couple oz in over 15,500 miles

The following users liked this post:
jamala00 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
You only need to have it documented once, just wait to take it in when they have the cure. Only if there were a recall could you get it fixed past warranty. Mine transfers less than 5 oz between service intervals so Im not real concerned. And 5oz is considered normal so they wont fix it anyway. My 2017 only did a couple oz in over 15,500 miles
What does 5oz look like on the dip stick?

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Settertude
What does 5oz look like on the dip stick?
Five ounces won’t be on the dipstick or at best just barely touched the tip. The difference between the high mark and the low mark is about 3-4 oz.

Settertude (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Five ounces won’t be on the dipstick or at best just barely touched the tip. The difference between the high mark and the low mark is about 3-4 oz.
In that case mine has only migrated about 2-3oz. and that only since running her up past 4500-5000 for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be migrating any more since with 400 miles or so at my normal riding habits.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

In that case mine has only migrated about 2-3oz. and that only since running her up past 4500-5000 for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be migrating any more since with 400 miles or so at my normal riding habits.
Why should it migrate at all? The MOCO is succeeding in their effort to make transfer acceptable. They want to make you the transgressor by saying if you operate your machine at the upper limits of the parameters that they set you should accept it if it transfers. I find that to be unacceptable!

The following 10 users liked this post by $tonecold:
14GuineaPig (01-27-2018), cookiemech (01-27-2018), FM500 (01-27-2018), GPHDXLC (01-26-2018), GTK (01-27-2018), hattitude (01-27-2018), jamala00 (01-26-2018), rockymtman (02-02-2018), Settertude (01-27-2018), Steve Helton (01-26-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Why should it migrate at all? The MOCO is succeeding in their effort to make transfer acceptable. They want to make you the transgressor by saying if you operate your machine at the upper limits of the parameters that they set you should accept it if it transfers. I find that to be unacceptable!
I agree stone--I'm going to get it documented soon. I've already spoken to the dealer about it and they have admitted to the issue and the need for documentation.
Interesting bit: the first time I asked about it, there was total denial. The second time, they knew all about it and spoke openly.

GPHDXLC (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

I agree stone--I'm going to get it documented soon. I've already spoken to the dealer about it and they have admitted to the issue and the need for documentation.
Interesting bit: the first time I asked about it, there was total denial. The second time, they knew all about it and spoke openly.
I doubt it was denial.. More like they hadn't started to see it yet..

Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Could be, but I know shifty eyes and body language when I see them.

:-)

Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Every dealer I've asked about it has said they haven't even heard about it, two of which I directed to TA0022. The dealer in Reno documented my transfer without even looking at the bike. I've determined that any fix the MOCO comes up with probably won't be as efficient as my seal, so that is the way I'm going. My warranty is over when I do the cam anyway.

Could be, but I know shifty eyes and body language when I see them.

:-)
I've seen that a lot in Oklahoma!

Settertude (02-04-2018)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?