Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
Dealer advised transmission had lost over 3/4 of its fluid into the primary. In talks now with the general manager. This is only the second bike out of hundreds this dealer who has numerous locations has sold that has had this issue. Harley was called and advised no fix at this time.
If only a few of these bikes are having this issue; it would seem to me MOCO could tear down several good and several problem bikes, mic everything, compare to factory spec's, compare good against problem; and solve this thing.

I'm still curious what the clutch push rod/main shaft fit/tolerance/dimensions are of the problem/no problem bikes, and how they compare to each other.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Great point.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
If only a few of these bikes are having this issue; it would seem to me MOCO could tear down several good and several problem bikes, mic everything, compare to factory spec's, compare good against problem; and solve this thing.

I'm still curious what the clutch push rod/main shaft fit/tolerance/dimensions are of the problem/no problem bikes, and how they compare to each other.
It is very possible that the engineering staff at the MOCO that designed, developed and now manufacturers the M8 engine knows what is wrong. How could they not given the amount of time that this has been going on. More than likely they will let the smoke clear and will do absolutely nothing to fix it. I have seen this company do this on numerous occasions before. It is very possible that they will quietly make changes in the manufacturing process as "running changes" and say nothing about it.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, wasn't long after I saw what was transpiring with it, it became painfully obvious this thread didn't need any spin offs
I agree, trying to follow all this as I have the transfer problem gets to be a bit much.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
It is very possible that the engineering staff at the MOCO that designed, developed and now manufacturers the M8 engine knows what is wrong. How could they not given the amount of time that this has been going on. More than likely they will let the smoke clear and will do absolutely nothing to fix it. I have seen this company do this on numerous occasions before. It is very possible that they will quietly make changes in the manufacturing process as "running changes" and say nothing about it.
That's exactly what will happen

The following 2 users liked this post by Gamma742:
ekb55 (01-25-2018), GPHDXLC (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 08:57 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Unfortunately, I think you are right.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Unfortunately, I think you are right.
HD's solution may be more disturbing than problem itself.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Durwood 1
Advanced
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So tonight I decided to do a mock-up on a transmission I had in the garage. I removed the stock nut and installed the nut I had machined.

I installed the side cover.

I took a few measurements. It appears I could have about .0625" machined off the width of the nut and still have plenty in the seal.

The actuator has clearance. I'm not sure how far the clutch pushrod extends through the mainshaft, but I now have confidence this is going to work.

Good job Stonecold!! If it can't get in there, it can't migrate.

I recently made some mods to my side cover and so far so good, but yours looks like a clean kill.

Added: I am sure you mentioned it but I am curious how you are venting the primary?

Last edited by Durwood 1; 01-25-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:51 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Durwood 1
Good job Stonecold!! If it can't get in there, it can't migrate.

I recently made some mods to my side cover and so far so good, but yours looks like a clean kill.

Added: I am sure you mentioned it but I am curious how you are venting the primary?
A small hole through the top of the actuator, there's enough meat there to do it.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,134 Likes on 3,648 Posts

Ya'd think this was 1936 and we were addressing teething issues with the newfangled OHV's or something. But it's 2018 and were dealing with a system that's been used for how many years now?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?